Doing the right thing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Doing the right thing
Is it 'moral' to do the right thing for the wrong reason?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2012, 08:50 PM
RE: Doing the right thing
It depends wholly on the circumstances of the case.
There is no way to say yes or no.
14-03-2012, 08:55 PM
(14-03-2012 08:05 PM)jimmygun Wrote:  Is it 'moral' to do the right thing for the wrong reason?

You just do the right thing, ain't no "morality" to it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-03-2012, 05:03 AM
(14-03-2012 08:05 PM)jimmygun Wrote:  Is it 'moral' to do the right thing for the wrong reason?

Your question implies that there are objective rights and wrongs.
In my experience, one person's right is another person's wrong.

Can you give an example?

15-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Right in what sense, towards what goal?
Whose morality belief are we comparing this against?

If you are talking about compromising your own personal values, then I would say they are a guideline only and you asking this question suggests that you need to apply some deep rational thinking to sort out your dilemma.
If you are worried about others judging your actions as being immoral then you would need to find out what their personal values are (i.e. their beliefs on what is moral or immoral).

We don't judge the actions of animals as being moral or immoral, what makes us humans any different?
15-03-2012, 05:48 AM
I simply ask questions about what is going through my mind. I am not worried in any sense but being a skeptic, I like to question my own motives specifically and in others in general. I don't have a 'dilemma'.
Now for an example...Let's say you meet a girl or guy and they have a rotten little kid. If you put up with the kid and do the right thing for him/her, but are doing it to curry favour of the parent is that acceptable behaviour?
(15-03-2012 05:14 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Right in what sense, towards what goal?
Whose morality belief are we comparing this against?

If you are talking about compromising your own personal values, then I would say they are a guideline only and you asking this question suggests that you need to apply some deep rational thinking to sort out your dilemma.
If you are worried about others judging your actions as being immoral then you would need to find out what their personal values are (i.e. their beliefs on what is moral or immoral).

We don't judge the actions of animals as being moral or immoral, what makes us humans any different?
15-03-2012, 08:58 AM
I honestly can't see too many problems.

The right thing is the right thing, regardless why you're doing it.

You might volunteer at the soup kitchen because gosh darn it, someone needs to feed those beautiful homeless souls.
Or you might volunteer there because hey, that other hot chick with the nice rack works there and hey, just maybe she'll see that you're a great guy, and possibly that's all the opening you need to convince her to let you bounce them off your face.

Unless you go around telling people that's why, no-one is going to know what your motives are.
At the end of the day, the soup kitchen still gets an extra worker, the homeless still get fed.

Is that what you mean?
[+] 1 user Likes Mugsy's post
15-03-2012, 09:00 AM

What are morals?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
15-03-2012, 09:07 AM
(15-03-2012 09:00 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

What are morals?

Far as I can tell... something we each have, something we each act upon and of course... something that no one can agree about defining or understanding where they come from depending on beliefs and values.
15-03-2012, 11:20 AM
(15-03-2012 09:07 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 09:00 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

What are morals?

Far as I can tell... something we each have, something we each act upon and of course... something that no one can agree about defining or understanding where they come from depending on beliefs and values.

How can something be, generally, immoral? I thought that was what an ethic was?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]