Domestic Violence Reports Spike in Russian City After Partial Decriminalisation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2017, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 09:55 PM by Free Thought.)
Domestic Violence Reports Spike in Russian City After Partial Decriminalisation
So, turns out that as the people of Yekaterinburg are currently learning, when you stop putting people who hurt others in jail, the ones in hiding will become more bold.

Following the partial decriminalisation of domestic violence in Russia signed into law by Putin which transferred DV incidences from criminal to civil law jurisdictions, the city of Yekaterinburg is reporting a 133% increase in domestic abuse calls to their police, according to the International Business Times.

According to the Independent, the new laws reduced the punishment for inflicting 'minor injuries' (bruises, small abrasions and the like) from 2 years jail time to "...a fine of less than $500 (£400), 15 days of 'administrative arrest', or community service..." "...so long as they don't happen more than once a year." Before criminal charges can be laid significant injuries, such a broken bones or concussions, must first be inflicted.

Supporters of the bill have claimed that it would allow parents to better discipline their children. Somehow I don't think that these people thought through the consequences of the bill, as the Mayor of Yekaterinburg said "Before, people were afraid of criminal charges – this acted as some kind of safety barrier... People got the impression that before it wasn't allowed, but now it is."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-02-2017, 11:01 PM
RE: Domestic Violence Reports Spike in Russian City After Partial Decriminalisation
Now let it sink in that this James Bond-esque super villain is currently in an international chess match with Heir Drumpf, and our Dear Leader doesn't even realize it.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
11-02-2017, 11:13 PM
RE: Domestic Violence Reports Spike in Russian City After Partial Decriminalisation
Actual world news and still the US president makes a showing. Facepalm

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-02-2017, 11:24 PM
(11-02-2017 11:13 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Actual world news and still the US president makes a showing. Facepalm

I'm sorry if international politics don't exist in a vaccuum. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
11-02-2017, 11:26 PM
(11-02-2017 11:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 11:13 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Actual world news and still the US president makes a showing. Facepalm

I'm sorry if international politics don't exist in a vaccuum. Undecided

RIGHT, that will get you on IGNORE!!!!! Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-02-2017, 11:29 PM
(11-02-2017 09:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  So, turns out that as the people of Yekaterinburg are currently learning, when you stop putting people who hurt others in jail, the ones in hiding will become more bold.

Following the partial decriminalisation of domestic violence in Russia signed into law by Putin which transferred DV incidences from criminal to civil law jurisdictions, the city of Yekaterinburg is reporting a 133% increase in domestic abuse calls to their police, according to the International Business Times.

According to the Independent, the new laws reduced the punishment for inflicting 'minor injuries' (bruises, small abrasions and the like) from 2 years jail time to "...a fine of less than $500 (£400), 15 days of 'administrative arrest', or community service..." "...so long as they don't happen more than once a year." Before criminal charges can be laid significant injuries, such a broken bones or concussions, must first be inflicted.

Supporters of the bill have claimed that it would allow parents to better discipline their children. Somehow I don't think that these people thought through the consequences of the bill, as the Mayor of Yekaterinburg said "Before, people were afraid of criminal charges – this acted as some kind of safety barrier... People got the impression that before it wasn't allowed, but now it is."

No one thinks things through anymore. It's just ridiculous. Sad

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-02-2017, 12:30 AM
(11-02-2017 09:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...
the city of Yekaterinburg is reporting a 133% increase in domestic abuse calls to their police,

'old yer 'orses, there sport.

This is potentially what's known as the Service Desk fallacy.
(not widely known ... just known to those who've attended my courses)

A good Service Desk receives more calls about Incidents (not incidences ... grrr!) because there is a greater level of confidence / trust ... the caller trusts that:
a) they will be treated with good customer service (respect, empathy etc.)
b) their incident will be fixed

(as a side note, 83% of callers describe good service as a) and only 17% as b) Yes )

Note that the above quoted quote mentions calls not convictions.

A domestic violence victim may have been deterred from calling before the law changed because they feared the consequences of their 'loved one' receiving criminal charges.

To use an extreme example (but one close to my heart) ... a mother of two autistic children snaps one day (after years of sleep-deprivation) and slaps one of the children so hard it leaves a big bruise.

She immediately regrets it and makes arrangements to do whatever needs to be done to get her sanity back but a teacher notices the bruise and the result is 2 years in jail.

With that kind of harsh penalty, many 'minor injuries' will go unreported.

With a more granular approach to sentencing there is a much greater likelihood that both minor (your word not mine) and major incidents get reported.

To repeat, the above IBT link states "Reports of domestic violence have increased by 133%" ... reports, not convictions.

And even if convictions are shown to increase, this can be an indicator of confidence in a fairer, more efficient, more transparent legal system rather than an increase in the actual quantity of the crime.

It's when there is no reported crime that you know your police and the legal system is fucked!

Crazy but true.

Yes

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
12-02-2017, 01:27 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 02:13 AM by Szuchow.)
Hardly surprising - opponents of this law said as much. Communist lawmaker Yuri Sinelshchikov summed that in this way: This bill would establish violence as a norm of conduct.

Article also indicate that Russian police wasn't much concerned with domestic violence when it was criminal offence. I doubt it will be better now.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-02-2017, 02:07 AM
Whoops...

13-02-2017, 07:19 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 07:23 AM by DLJ.)
(12-02-2017 02:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Whoops...

Looks like I might have killed the conversation Blush Sorry.

If it makes anyone feel better who might want to still be outraged by this, I did say "potentially"... it's possible that 'actual' crime has increased.

How do we know without having access to the underlying data?

But while we're on the subject ... 133% increase could mean that Incidents have increased from 3 (before the law was changed) to 7.

This would the be point at which I'd make a note of the reporters name and put them, and the outlet for which they work, in the 'beware; unreliable" category.

Dodgy

At least The Independent gives quantities ...from 150 to 350. But out of a population of ??? Consider