Don't Be A Dick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Don't Be A Dick
------------------------
PLEASE NOTE: This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with this forum or it's policies. Nothing what-so-fucking-ever. Thank you so much for understanding.
------------------------

It has been suggested by great internet sages (whose names have been lost in the mists of history) that when using the internet we might all manage our participation with the guideline "don't be a dick".

What does "being a dick" mean?

"Being a dick" could mean for instance, as just one randomly chosen example, clogging a thread that is making a good faith effort to inspire an intelligent thoughtful discussion of a specific topic with many distracting off topic lazy little posts which do nothing to advance our understanding of the topic. That could perhaps be "being a dick".

And why is it important that we not "be dicks"?

Why do we care what anonymous strangers type on the Internet?

If anonymous user SnoopyDog27 makes an unflattering comment to anonymous user WhispyHair34, why does WhispyHair care?

Why do we rely on mods, more anonymous strangers, to manage our emotional experience of the Internet for us?

Why do we depend on them to protect us from emotional experiences we choose to have within our own minds in response to a series of typed characters on a computer screen?

Why are we so passionately interested in claiming victim status at the earlier opportunity? What's that all about?

Please. Don't be a dick and fill this thread TOO with a bunch of crap. And guys, no whipping out of your dick please, that's another thread.

How about some ....thinking... on this site called: thethinkingatheist.com?

Thanks for thinking, and for not being a dick.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 10:37 AM
RE: Don't Be A Dick
Drinking Beverage

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
03-01-2015, 10:49 AM

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
03-01-2015, 11:02 AM
[Image: greenstars.gif]

[Image: reading.gif]

[Image: meatballs.gif]

[Image: mocantina.gif]

[Image: 42kmoig.gif]

[Image: 130fs358763.gif] <ELK

[Image: Just_Cuz_19.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
03-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Dear Mods,

Might you be interested in an experiment? Would you like to remove all blatantly off topic posts from this thread, and see what happens?

Or not, as you wish, I won't be a dick about it.
03-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I have the opening poster on 'Ignore' and even thus, based purely on the replies thus far, feel I can contribute to this thread simply with.

Big Grin

Much cheers to all
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-01-2015, 11:16 AM
(03-01-2015 11:13 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Dear Mods,

Might you be interested in an experiment? Would you like to remove all blatantly off topic posts from this thread, and see what happens?

Or not, as you wish, I won't be a dick about it.

Too late! Banana_zorroBanana_zorro
03-01-2015, 11:19 AM
(03-01-2015 10:34 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  ------------------------
PLEASE NOTE: This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with this forum or it's policies. Nothing what-so-fucking-ever. Thank you so much for understanding.
------------------------

Please. Don't be a dick and fill this thread TOO with a bunch of crap. And guys, no whipping out of your dick please, that's another thread.

So you plead to the mods though this thread has NOTHING to do with the forum or it's policies. Consider

And, who decides how much is TOO much? You? I think not. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
03-01-2015, 11:19 AM
I'll bite...

I don't think anybody, yourself included (which I infer from the tone of your post above) would disagree that being a dick is a bad thing.

But leaving aside precise definitions (on which we could, and probably would debate ad infinitum), and even whether any of us are dicks at any point in time (I have been before and probably would be again in the future), what matters most of all for me is this....

That eventually, whoever is being a dick has the presence of mind to understand that they're being a dick and either backs down, apologises, or otherwise let's thing lay for a while. It is those people who insist on being right when they are a dick who usually attract ever increasing negative attention and disdain of those around them.

Very often when I've been on forums, I've toyed with the idea of taking the dialogue between combatants and turning it into an animated fiction, probably set in a coffee house or pub. Because I thought then that people, seeing themselves, might finally realise just how much they've been a dick. But alas I've no animation skills.

Observing the hostility you attract, in my humble opinion, I've got to say it has nothing to do with your points you try to make. A lot of it seems simply to be that your you've lost the respect of a lot of people who, having tried to engage with you, have found you to be arrogant and imperious, and impervious to reason. That sort of disdain could dissipate if you let it, but usually persists in a social group and only grows the more the subject tries to deny or justify themselves, as it looks you are doing here.

I've seen that you are clearly capable of making sharp observations a have even found some of your posts (on fear of death and hippies) intelligent and worth hearing. But you seem to take any criticism of your point of view with a hostility, arrogance and lack of respect for others that is rare and, as a result, people feel no inclination to engage with you. That you get instant quips to any post does not surprise me.

So, anyway, that's my two cents on the definition of being a dick.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 2 users Like gofish!'s post
03-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Attention & control freaks ... always wanting attention and control.

Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 7 users Like kim's post