Don't Be A Dick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 04:35 PM
RE: Don't Be A Dick
(03-01-2015 04:22 PM)pablo Wrote:  Show of hands.
How many of you went looking to see if Bozo was banned after reading Starks post?
I did.

Not me. That wasn't the point of Stark's warning. It's worse than that. The dick call is not usually accompanied by a banning, it's more like prelude to come here and let us show you how not to be a dick, dick.

Step 1 - take away his ability to ignore members posts. If that doesn't drive him batshit insane we escalate.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-01-2015, 04:35 PM
(03-01-2015 04:22 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 02:10 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Unfortunately for you Bozo, round these parts I'm the guy who decides what being a dick is.

Congratulations. You are officially a dick. Dodgy

Show of hands.
How many of you went looking to see if Bozo was banned after reading Starks post?
I did.
Tongue

yeah, i was hoping for this

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
03-01-2015, 04:41 PM
(03-01-2015 04:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Step 1 - take away his ability to ignore members posts. If that doesn't drive him batshit insane we escalate.

Nah. He might be a dickhead but there's no reason to bully him like that by removing basic rights. Besides, if "we" do that and he gets banned, trust me; he'll come back as socks for months, telling us over and over how evil we are and how we're facists or something.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
03-01-2015, 04:52 PM
(03-01-2015 04:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 04:22 PM)pablo Wrote:  Show of hands.
I did.

Not me. That wasn't the point of Stark's warning. It's worse than that. The dick call is not usually accompanied by a banning, it's more like prelude to come here and let us show you how not to be a dick, dick.

Step 1 - take away his ability to ignore members posts. If that doesn't drive him batshit insane we escalate.

The answer is pretty simple really. How do you starve an attention whore? Put him on ignore like I have. If everyone stops feeding the troll this would resolve itself. At that point if he creates threads that no one is responding to then he is simply performing mental masturbation and spamming. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
03-01-2015, 04:57 PM
(03-01-2015 04:52 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The answer is pretty simple really. How do you starve an attention whore? Put him on ignore like I have. If everyone stops feeding the troll this would resolve itself. At that point if he creates threads that no one is responding to then he is simply performing mental masturbation and spamming. Drinking Beverage

+1

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-01-2015, 05:52 PM
(03-01-2015 11:19 AM)gofish! Wrote:  I don't think anybody, yourself included (which I infer from the tone of your post above) would disagree that being a dick is a bad thing.

WHY is it a bad thing? Or WHY do we perceive it to be a bad thing? WHY do we care?

Quote:That eventually, whoever is being a dick has the presence of mind to understand that they're being a dick and either backs down, apologises, or otherwise let's thing lay for a while.

Ok, I get the point, but the question remains, why do we care that the dick does these things? Why is it important to us?

Why will we now pretend it's not important, while we type endlessly about it in reaction to somebody we perceive to be a dick?

Quote: It is those people who insist on being right when they are a dick who usually attract ever increasing negative attention and disdain of those around them.

Ok, this is probably true. WHY is it true?

Quote:Observing the hostility you attract, in my humble opinion, I've got to say it has nothing to do with your points you try to make.

Why do you care so much about the hostility a particular poster attracts? Why do such posters have such power over us?

Quote: but usually persists in a social group and only grows the more the subject tries to deny or justify themselves, as it looks you are doing here.

Except that I have said NOTHING about the poster Baba Bozo, that is the focus of your writing in this thread, not mine.

You're started with some quality writing, so please take it farther. You've come across one or more posters whom you find to be a dick. They bug you. Why?

NOT why does poster XYZ bug you, what are their failings etc. NOT that.

Why do all such posters who might be labeled a dick bug you? Why are you concerned with their personal failings? Why are you making their problems your problems?

You've got a start. Now take it intellectual. About something larger than a melodrama squabble you have with some particular person.
03-01-2015, 05:58 PM
(03-01-2015 12:33 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  You should put me on ignore because I'm fed up with being nice.

Being a dick could also mean joining a forum that's been going fine without us. Then, upon joining said forum, decide arbitrarily that the forum should conform to what we want. That is, instead of learning the general feeling of the forum and simply ignoring that already established feeling.

Being a dick could also mean deciding that because others don't think the way we do that they are not worthy or equal to us. That claim of superiority is usually a sign of being a dick.

Being a dick could also be making a blanket statement, such as members of a forum have never thought about why they feel or think a certain way. Just because not everyone has given a life story or in-depth explanation doesn't mean they haven't delved into their own psyche. That includes, say, a member who once had a vision during meditation and still questioned it and later discovered he was an atheist.

Being a dick could also mean making a series of related threads saying the same thing and assuming the mods will change the forum to suit the wants of one member.

You know, hypothetically. Not necessarily here, of course.

Ok, again, another pretty well written post which illustrates our fascination to obsession with particular posters whom we find to be a dick.

You've provided another good real world example of the phenomena in action, now please proceed beyond the obsession itself to an intelligent analysis of the phenomena.
03-01-2015, 06:04 PM
(03-01-2015 05:52 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Except that I have said NOTHING about the poster Baba Bozo, that is the focus of your writing in this thread, not mine.

Because this thread about intelectual sloth and forum ettiquete is completely unrelated to your previous threads on forum ettiquete and intelectual sloth?

Quote:You're started with some quality writing, so please take it farther.[snip]

You've got a start. Now take it intellectual. About something larger than a melodrama squabble you have with some particular person.

Quote:You've provided another good real world example of the phenomena in action, now please proceed beyond the obsession itself to an intelligent analysis of the phenomena.

Fuck your condesending, self agrandising, passive aggressive bullshit.

Edit: Huzzah! I'm on the ignore list. If anybody gives a shit can they please QFT?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
03-01-2015, 06:08 PM
(03-01-2015 02:10 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Unfortunately for you Bozo, round these parts I'm the guy who decides what being a dick is.

Congratulations. You are officially a dick. Dodgy

Yes, I've agreed with this declaration about 273 times already in various threads.

But for some reason, you and everyone else feels the need to say it again, and again, and again which is ok, but you seem to have no curiousity about why you have let some dick hijack your emotions to such an extent.

As a mod, I remind you of the name of this site, which would seem to declare the goal of this site, which you are not serving.

Instead of being a leader, and using the forum to show how atheist thinking can be a constructive alternative to religion, a worthy goal....

.... you aren't leading, and thinking....

.... but following, and allowing the emotional needs of a fundie atheist mob bent on replicating all the worst qualities of religion under a new flag to take over the site.

If someone did truly believe in the stated mission of this site, which is expressed in the URL, and felt that mission was important, they might perceive laziness at the rudder of this site to be another form of..... being a dick..... given that such laziness shows no respect for the site's mission.

If you don't want to do the job, and at least try to do it well, perhaps not being a dick would involve turning that job over to someone else more qualified?
03-01-2015, 06:09 PM
[Image: cheese_sm.jpg]

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post