Don't Be A Dick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 06:11 PM
RE: Don't Be A Dick
^The fuck does the cheese mean?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 06:14 PM
(03-01-2015 04:22 PM)pablo Wrote:  Show of hands.
How many of you went looking to see if Bozo was banned after reading Starks post?
I did.

That makes sense. If being a dick is against the rules, and I am a dick, why has Stark not banned me, especially given that I've repeatedly stated I would not object?

This is a point entirely relevant to the thread. If some poster is indeed a dick, if they are indeed breaking the rules, and spoiling the forum, why do we keep reading their posts over and over and over again, day after day after day?

This is not about me, or any particular poster, or this site in particular, but about an irrational phenomena that floods the entire net.

This site is supposed to be about reason, so please use reason and thinking to address this phenomena, which just might turn out to have something to do with religion too.
03-01-2015, 06:17 PM
(03-01-2015 11:13 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Dear Mods,

Might you be interested in an experiment? Would you like to remove all blatantly off topic posts from this thread, and see what happens?

Or not, as you wish, I won't be a dick about it.

You're the one who posted the thread in the off-topic section, you dick. Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]
03-01-2015, 06:19 PM
(03-01-2015 04:41 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Besides, if "we" do that and he gets banned, trust me; he'll come back as socks for months, telling us over and over how evil we are and how we're facists or something.

I don't come back. If I'm banned, that's it, you'll never see me again, promise.

So there's a 100% complete solution to the problem being stated over and over and over again above if members want it.

So now the question is, why don't you want that solution? Why not just ban the dick poster and be done with it?

Why are we as net users so interested in having the "victim of a dick" experience over and over and over and over over and over and over and over over and over and over and over over and over and over and over over and over and over and over .....

Thinking folks, thinking. Try it, you might like it.
03-01-2015, 06:21 PM
(03-01-2015 06:11 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^The fuck does the cheese mean?

Don't worry, you're too young (forum membership wise) to get the reference.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
03-01-2015, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 06:27 PM by Atothetheist.)
(03-01-2015 10:34 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  ------------------------
PLEASE NOTE: This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with this forum or it's policies. Nothing what-so-fucking-ever. Thank you so much for understanding.
------------------------

It has been suggested by great internet sages (whose names have been lost in the mists of history) that when using the internet we might all manage our participation with the guideline "don't be a dick".

Here, I'll take this up. Quite disappointed with how some of the quality members have been responding to you. Courtesy is of general importance in social matters. This forum is social, and therefore social customs are to be expected and especially encouraged when having a discussion. Not many people listen to the opinions of assholes. That is why I tend to not bother with the frankly dick-ish responses you got from this thread.

Quote:What does "being a dick" mean?

To be intentionally hurtful for the sake of it, to stifle discussion and generally be a rude asshole.

Quote:"Being a dick" could mean for instance, as just one randomly chosen example, clogging a thread that is making a good faith effort to inspire an intelligent thoughtful discussion of a specific topic with many distracting off topic lazy little posts which do nothing to advance our understanding of the topic. That could perhaps be "being a dick".

^This is part of being a dick, in my opinion.

Quote:And why is it important that we not "be dicks"?
To advance discussion, to allow others a greater understanding. To generally be civil to others who deserve it. To be a dick is to be intentionally hurtful, and that is bad for the sake of it being hurtful to someone else. It is something I have tried my best to avoid. Successful or not, I do my best.

Quote:Why do we care what anonymous strangers type on the Internet?
Because we have evolved to be a social species.

Quote:Why do we rely on mods, more anonymous strangers, to manage our emotional experience of the Internet for us?
I don't. I find it ridiculous when people expect the mods to protect their egos or emotions. That should not be a job the mods have. If you can't control yourself and you get angry, that's on you.
Quote:Why do we depend on them to protect us from emotional experiences we choose to have within our own minds in response to a series of typed characters on a computer screen?
Again, I find this ridiculous. If you can't handle a topic, don't try to ban the rest of us from talking or discussing it. Racism for example. If one is a white supremacist, then those that can logically argue for that position (and indeed, against it) SHOULD be able to speak. If we ban racists, they will only think that we can't logically dismantle their views. Are we incapable of protecting OURSELVES from damaging drivel?

Quote:Why are we so passionately interested in claiming victim status at the earlier opportunity? What's that all about?

Because no one wants to be the dick.

Hopefully I have fulfilled your requirements.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
03-01-2015, 06:24 PM
[Image: Ae898.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
03-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Ok, in summary for today, we have accumulated a great many posts which demonstrate the phenomena addressed by this thread, but so far, no posts that attempt to understand that phenomena.

If we don't understand the phenomena, then we will remain prisoners of dicks in every setting of our life, for the rest of our life.

By not understanding, by not being willing to understand, by being willing prisoners of dicks, we are in effect handing over our mind to every dick who happens to come our way.

We try to escape from the little prison of our own making by managing each dick who comes our way, but...

....the problem is that there is an infinite army of dicks extending over the horizon in every direction.

Thus, it is literally impossible for anyone to manage them all, no matter how hard they try.

Thus, given that it is impossible to do the thing we would prefer to do, manage the dicks, REASON suggests that we turn our attention to managing that which we can manage....

Our relationship with dicks. Our own mind.
03-01-2015, 06:32 PM
(03-01-2015 06:28 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Ok, in summary for today, we have accumulated a great many posts which demonstrate the phenomena addressed by this thread, but so far, no posts that attempt to understand that phenomena.

If we don't understand the phenomena, then we will remain prisoners of dicks in every setting of our life, for the rest of our life.

By not understanding, by not being willing to understand, by being willing prisoners of dicks, we are in effect handing over our mind to every dick who happens to come our way.

We try to escape from the little prison of our own making by managing each dick who comes our way, but...

....the problem is that there is an infinite army of dicks extending over the horizon in every direction.

Thus, it is literally impossible for anyone to manage them all, no matter how hard they try.

Thus, given that it is impossible to do the thing we would prefer to do, manage the dicks, REASON suggests that we turn our attention to managing that which we can manage....

[Image: ec8.png]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
03-01-2015, 06:34 PM
(03-01-2015 06:32 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 06:28 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Ok, in summary for today, we have accumulated a great many posts which demonstrate the phenomena addressed by this thread, but so far, no posts that attempt to understand that phenomena.

[Image: ec8.png]

Prime-fucking- example of what I am talking about.

Zeke, I like you bro, but you really need stop.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.