Don't Challenge My Sincerely Held Beliefs: Not Just A Religion Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 10:17 PM
RE: Don't Challenge My Sincerely Held Beliefs: Not Just A Religion Problem
(21-02-2016 09:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 09:49 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Steven Universe is the greatest show in the history of television and I will fight you on the side of the street if you argue otherwise.

Huh, can't argue what I don't know... never heard of it and don't know what it is. Tongue

In all seriousness, it's an incredible show, and I highly encourage everyone here to go and watch it. But, whatever you do, do NOT look up anything beforehand. This is one of those situations where you have to go in blind.

As for what it is... it's a Cartoon Network show created by Rebecca Sugar, a former Adventure Time writer, most notably responsible for highlight episodes like "I Remember You". Broadly speaking (and assuming that you don't care to watch the show's explanatory theme tune), it's about a boy named Steven Universe, who lives with three strange women - Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl - who call themselves "the Crystal Gems", have strange magical powers, and constantly save the planet from various strange monsters. Steven himself is apparently half-Gem, somehow, and inherited his mother's powers, but has little to no idea of how to actually use them.

The show begins as a strange, almost surrealistic slice-of-life type thing, while we learn about the Gems and Steven's relationship with them as he accompanies them on missions, learns about his own abilities, and picks up bits and pieces of information about the Gems themselves.

I can't go any further into it without getting into spoiler territory - and, as I said, this is something you have to see blind. I will say, however, that I have never actually met anyone who watched the show and ever expected it to take the direction it does. It's absolutely enthralling, with incredibly deep and lovable characters, and several episodes that I consider among the greatest ever aired in any show. "Rose's Scabbard", "Jailbreak", "Mirror Gem", "Alone Together", "Lion 3: Straight to Video"... all fantastic. And "Rose's Scabbard" is one of the only times I have ever actually broken down in tears from a TV show.

The only caveat is that the show takes a bit to get going. It's not until "Steven the Sword Fighter" that it really starts to take off; everything prior to that is generally "eh" at best, and more commonly just considered to be an inferior Adventure Time. From "Steven the Sword Fighter" slash "Coach Steven" onward, though, pretty much everything it does is pure gold.

I honestly cannot recommend it enough.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
21-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Hmm, I think that the physics I studied as an undergrad was quite likely correct, and I don't like it when paranoid dickheads like psikeyhacker challenge it. As far as the rest of it goes, I don't believe in any god(s), after careful consideration, self-education, and a large dose of logical thinking. People pushing religion are just deluded, as far as I am concerned. I'm less and less nice to them at the door, when they come to bother me. Ima put up a sign for them and the solar power religious people who show up all the time.
21-02-2016, 10:24 PM
(21-02-2016 10:16 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Tolkiens works being questioned.

I've never read them, and never plan to. Sue me Drinking Beverage
I saw the LoTR moves, though. They were excellent Smile

Anyone who claims anthropogenic climate change is fake because that's what they heard from some conservative talking head, they can just GTFO of my face, until they're able to explain to me the basic steps of the scientific method.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
21-02-2016, 10:27 PM
(21-02-2016 10:24 PM)cactus Wrote:  

Sue you? Nah, though I am considering taking out a contract on you. Consider

Quote:I saw the LoTR moves, though. They were excellent Smile

You only think that because you haven't read the books.

Quote:Anyone who claims anthropogenic climate change is fake because that's what they heard from some conservative talking head, they can just GTFO of my face, until they're able to explain to me the basic steps of the scientific method.

Hmmm, maybe I should call off that contract. I hope I'm not too late. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
21-02-2016, 10:28 PM
(21-02-2016 10:24 PM)cactus Wrote:  I've never read them, and never plan to. Sue me Drinking Beverage

You admit this??? FacepalmBig Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-02-2016, 10:29 PM
(21-02-2016 10:24 PM)cactus Wrote:  

Anyone who claims anthropogenic climate change is fake because that's what they heard from some conservative talking head, they can just GTFO of my face, until they're able to explain to me the basic steps of the scientific method.

Youre dead to me! DEAD! Drinking Beverage
[+] 5 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
21-02-2016, 10:30 PM
pshhh, please. I don't read books. I'm way too lazy for that. Laugh out load

I'd be willing to listen to them on audiobook. How about that Tongue

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
21-02-2016, 10:30 PM
(21-02-2016 10:17 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  This is one of those situations where you have to go in blind.

But what if I can't see anything??? Sadcryface2SadcryfaceHuh

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-02-2016, 10:32 PM
(21-02-2016 10:30 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 10:17 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  This is one of those situations where you have to go in blind.

But what if I can't see anything??? Sadcryface2SadcryfaceHuh

Yeah, I was wondering how I was supposed to watch tv blind but hey.... I'm always willing to try new shit. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
21-02-2016, 10:33 PM
(21-02-2016 10:30 PM)cactus Wrote:  pshhh, please. I don't read books. I'm way too lazy for that. Laugh out load

I'd be willing to listen to them on audiobook. How about that Tongue

I happen to like the movies and the books. Chas hasnt killed me yet so you'll be fine.

But now you must get the audio books. I dont mess around, do it! You have 1 month to finish all 3! Then you may not be dead to me.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post