Don't Challenge My Sincerely Held Beliefs: Not Just A Religion Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 10:34 PM
RE: Don't Challenge My Sincerely Held Beliefs: Not Just A Religion Problem
(21-02-2016 10:32 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I'm always willing to try new shit. Smile

Whatever you're into, dude. Blink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2016, 10:34 PM
*runs to Spark Notes*
k, I'm on it. Thanks Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
21-02-2016, 10:35 PM
(21-02-2016 10:34 PM)cactus Wrote:  *runs to Spark Notes*
k, I'm on it. Thanks Smile

Hey! I'll catch on if you cheated. I'm just that good Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
21-02-2016, 11:07 PM
(21-02-2016 10:32 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 10:30 PM)Banjo Wrote:  But what if I can't see anything??? Sadcryface2SadcryfaceHuh

Yeah, I was wondering how I was supposed to watch tv blind but hey.... I'm always willing to try new shit. Smile

Well. For a couple of years in the mid-'90s, I taught at a Waldorf school. They did not want the kids to watch TV (among other things). I personally agree with that, but not for the same reason(s). The teachers who were trained in Germany would put a towel on the TV screen and just listen to the audio. You can't make this shit up. I can't be bothered to look this up, but there is evidence that watching TV lowers your metabolic rate below what would be required to read a book. Or, vice-versa... Huh
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
21-02-2016, 11:35 PM
(21-02-2016 11:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 10:32 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yeah, I was wondering how I was supposed to watch tv blind but hey.... I'm always willing to try new shit. Smile

Well. For a couple of years in the mid-'90s, I taught at a Waldorf school. They did not want the kids to watch TV (among other things). I personally agree with that, but not for the same reason(s). The teachers who were trained in Germany would put a towel on the TV screen and just listen to the audio. You can't make this shit up. I can't be bothered to look this up, but there is evidence that watching TV lowers your metabolic rate below what would be required to read a book. Or, vice-versa... Huh

Is the TV show British or American? Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
22-02-2016, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 12:15 AM by Nurse.)
I'm an ENTP - "Devil's Advocate." Challenge my views and I'll concede if mine fail to hold up against rational argument. I might argue a different point of view just for the hell of it and to think like someone else. I like to get into other people's heads and figure out how they think/what makes them tick - it's how I know how to interact with you.

I'd like to think I'm fairly open minded. How else would I have escaped Christianity in the American Deep South?

I guess abortion is one of my topics - but I support it from a logical viewpoint, not an emotional one. If one can out logic me on it, I might change my views.

Hmmm. Opinions...
I look terrible in most "fall" colors. I am a winter and look best in jewel tones. I rarely let makeup artists touch me because they always get that shit wrong. Same with people trying to pick out clothes for me. Burnt Orange? Helllll no. Just because I have auburn hair does not make me a fall - put me in emerald green or cobalt blue.

Andy Warhol's art is ugly.

Pink, fluffy wedding dresses are just silly. Reminds me of Glenda the Good Witch from Wizard of Oz.

I support the ban on skull caps or no helmet when riding a motorcycle. You crash and get a head injury and live, now my taxes have to support your vegetable ass on a Medicaid bed in a nursing home.

I support the right to suicide only if physician assisted. Otherwise, involuntary hold for you.

Edit to add: I picked the last two because I know there are people on this site that disagree with those views Angel *Nurse stirring pot*

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
22-02-2016, 01:07 AM
Racism. If you're going to defend or propound racism in my presence, you'd best get ready for a blistering address.

Mind you, I'm not saying don't disagree with me about it -- I'm saying if you do disagree with me about it, you'd better pack a sack lunch, 'cause we're gonna be all day.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
22-02-2016, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 01:36 AM by Szuchow.)
I wouldn't call it belief but I think that marxism-leninism was religion, and however that will sound in context of this thread it isn't about what I believe but about what is true according to best of my knowledge. Another thing is atheist believing that god doesn't exist, which reduce atheist to another sect for which belief is way to go. For me atheism is lack of belief, or to be more accurate my atheism is absence of belief.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-02-2016, 04:07 AM
(21-02-2016 10:16 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Tolkiens works being questioned.

This totally has to be my thing too.
You've got all those people going like "but he wasn't even a good writer" or "the books are long and boring" or whatever but hell, even if he wasn't a great writer, there hasn't been a single more immersive series of books for me and Tolkien's talent for sucking you into his world and making you care is fucking insane.

I could go on a rant about this for centuries.

Other than that...
Too much alcohol, drugs and smoking are not fun and no, I won't have a better time if I try it, thank you.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
22-02-2016, 05:12 AM
(22-02-2016 04:07 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 10:16 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Tolkiens works being questioned.

This totally has to be my thing too.
You've got all those people going like "but he wasn't even a good writer" or "the books are long and boring" or whatever but hell, even if he wasn't a great writer, there hasn't been a single more immersive series of books for me and Tolkien's talent for sucking you into his world and making you care is fucking insane.

I could go on a rant about this for centuries.

Other than that...
Too much alcohol, drugs and smoking are not fun and no, I won't have a better time if I try it, thank you.

Hey I read Tolkien. I also read Dante, ,Boccaccio, Virgil, Homer, Euripides, Aeschylus (The greatest IMHO), Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Hardy, Dumas etc etc.

I can honestly say Tolkien rates highly. The movies were shite. The books excellent. Especially when one figures in his experience of WWI.

Yeah, great author. No Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy though. War and peace and The brothers Karamazov are still the greatest novels I ever read. And Aeschylus, the greatest playrite besides Shakespeare.

Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post