Don't Challenge My Sincerely Held Beliefs: Not Just A Religion Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: Don't Challenge My Sincerely Held Beliefs: Not Just A Religion Problem
(22-02-2016 11:14 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 10:46 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  also, the warhammer 40k universe would annihilate both the star wars and star trek universes combined. not even open for debate.

eh. It is assuredly much darker than the other two settings. I haven't read many of the novels, but I am familiar with the background from the miniatures games. Not sure where I would rank it. Star Trek is too happy, Star Wars isn't sci-fi and 40K? Depends on my mood I guess. Worthy of discussion though.

That could be it's own thread: The top five sci-fi settings.

He means militarily. The Imperium of Man in the 40k setting is a military gigapower on such a scale that it wins most of its wars simply because it has enough resources to literally drown a planet in bullets without any real effort. This is the only reason it's still got a grip on the galaxy despite the ludicrous levels of damage inflicted on it by the other inhabitants of the setting. No matter how many worlds the Imperium loses, there are always more.

Star Wars has more maneuverable ships and weapons allowing for greater finesse. Star Trek has... well, I don't really know what Trek is supposed to have that the other two don't. But the point is that they'd both lose to the Imperium, because they just don't have the bodies to match Imperial numbers.

Yes, it is an incredibly geeky subject of debate. You'd be surprised at how often it comes up.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2016, 11:50 AM
(22-02-2016 11:29 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 11:14 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  eh. It is assuredly much darker than the other two settings. I haven't read many of the novels, but I am familiar with the background from the miniatures games. Not sure where I would rank it. Star Trek is too happy, Star Wars isn't sci-fi and 40K? Depends on my mood I guess. Worthy of discussion though.

That could be it's own thread: The top five sci-fi settings.

He means militarily. The Imperium of Man in the 40k setting is a military gigapower on such a scale that it wins most of its wars simply because it has enough resources to literally drown a planet in bullets without any real effort. This is the only reason it's still got a grip on the galaxy despite the ludicrous levels of damage inflicted on it by the other inhabitants of the setting. No matter how many worlds the Imperium loses, there are always more.

Star Wars has more maneuverable ships and weapons allowing for greater finesse. Star Trek has... well, I don't really know what Trek is supposed to have that the other two don't. But the point is that they'd both lose to the Imperium, because they just don't have the bodies to match Imperial numbers.

Yes, it is an incredibly geeky subject of debate. You'd be surprised at how often it comes up.

Militarily? Fuck yes, 40K would not even work up a sweat. Imperial Space Marines versus stormtroopers and redshirts?

The space marines fire a volley of bolter fire and hit every redshirt, killing them all. The stormtroopers fire (and all miss) and the space marines grind them up with chainswords.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
22-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Then there's psykers. Even a high level untrained psyker could cause Emperor Palpatine's head to implode, and then his body to be raped by demons. The Emperor of Man would rip out Yoda's heart with but a thought.

Sorry... I an very susceptible to nerd talk
22-02-2016, 02:34 PM
(22-02-2016 10:33 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 09:39 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I am open to any opinion being changed if I am wrong. Who am I to say I am always right?

what this guy said. except that batman is the greatest superhero ever and really the only one worth giving a shit about. oh and superman is extremely lame, largely because hes too overpowered.

Wrong. Iron Man. Tony Stark is a badass and if he were a real life person I'd totally have his babies.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
22-02-2016, 02:38 PM
(22-02-2016 02:34 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 10:33 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  what this guy said. except that batman is the greatest superhero ever and really the only one worth giving a shit about. oh and superman is extremely lame, largely because hes too overpowered.

Wrong. Iron Man. Tony Stark is a badass and if he were a real life person I'd totally have his babies.

Pfft... I don't care if he's real or not. I'd do Robert Downy Jr. till the cows came home or one of us dropped dead. Drooling

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
22-02-2016, 02:45 PM
(22-02-2016 02:38 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 02:34 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Wrong. Iron Man. Tony Stark is a badass and if he were a real life person I'd totally have his babies.

Pfft... I don't care if he's real or not. I'd do Robert Downy Jr. till the cows came home or one of us dropped dead. Drooling

Laugh out load

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
22-02-2016, 03:11 PM
(22-02-2016 09:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 11:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Well. For a couple of years in the mid-'90s, I taught at a Waldorf school. They did not want the kids to watch TV (among other things). I personally agree with that, but not for the same reason(s). The teachers who were trained in Germany would put a towel on the TV screen and just listen to the audio. You can't make this shit up. I can't be bothered to look this up, but there is evidence that watching TV lowers your metabolic rate below what would be required to read a book. Or, vice-versa... Huh

What in the world were they trying to accomplish?

Post-modernist, Chopra-inspired deepity in 3...2...1...

As I understand it, they believe that the video messes up your brain, but the audio doesn't.
22-02-2016, 03:18 PM
(21-02-2016 09:37 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  One thing I have noticed as an adult having adult conversations about everything under the sun... people do NOT like their POV, opinions, beliefs or ideals challenged. It is not just a religious thing.

What I would like to know is what are your "hot button" sincerely held positions that you refuse to yield to different ideas on? You know, the POV you argue continually and consistently and can't wait to proffer your opinion on. We all have them, do you know them, recognize them and do you own your own stubbornness?

This is a bit tongue-n-cheek but also not really.

It's an exercise in personal flexibility. Are you up for it? Smile

The only thing I can think of that I would be inflexible towards at the moment would probably be that vanilla Fallout 4 was inferior to New Vegas in terms of dialogue and skill systems...

I'll keep thinking on it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Meh, I fancy myself to be anti-reverence. Nothing is sacrosanct.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-02-2016, 04:42 PM
I like to think of myself as flexible and open-minded, but I do have my dogmas:

1. The Atkins diet is crap. Weight gain or loss is purely a function of calories consumed vs. calories burned. Your body doesn't care what kind of calories they are.

2. I don't believe it's possible to know with absolute certainty that God exists, or that he doesn't. I scoff at anyone who claims to have such knowledge.

3. "Serious" music is generally "better" in some sense than pop music; e.g., Beethoven is superior to The Beatles (even though I love the Beatles). I don't claim to be able to prove this, and have no idea how you could, but I am convinced of it nonetheless.

4. When there is a book and a movie, the book is almost always better, and this is true in the case of Tolkien and Lord of the Rings. However, I think those movies were great (and Chas hasn't killed me yet). They just weren't as good as the books. I am less convinced by the movie(s) of The Hobbit. Those had their moments, but they were extremely bloated.

5. I'm not sure those German researchers weren't onto something. I think watching TV is addictive, mind-numbing, and basically a waste of time. This may or may not have anything to do with their stated reasons, but the effect is real.

6. Real physical books are better than ebooks.

7. CDs are better than vinyl.

I could probably go on for hours, but that's enough dogma for now.