Don't Challenge My Sincerely Held Beliefs: Not Just A Religion Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 04:52 PM
RE: Don't Challenge My Sincerely Held Beliefs: Not Just A Religion Problem
(22-02-2016 04:42 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I like to think of myself as flexible and open-minded, but I do have my dogmas:

1. The Atkins diet is crap. Weight gain or loss is purely a function of calories consumed vs. calories burned. Your body doesn't care what kind of calories they are.

That's... not actually true. Mice exhibit differential patterns of weight loss/gain after internal biome transplants, for one trivial counterexample.
(but, yes, it's broadly true...)

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2016, 05:03 PM
(22-02-2016 04:42 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  4. When there is a book and a movie, the book is almost always better, and this is true in the case of Tolkien and Lord of the Rings. However, I think those movies were great (and Chas hasn't killed me yet). They just weren't as good as the books.

My usual hit man retired. Cool

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-02-2016, 05:07 PM
(22-02-2016 04:42 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  7. CDs are better than vinyl.

Well, there's a large-ish community that would disagree. Consider

Not me, I think CD's are brilliant.

CD's are far superior to MP3s.

22-02-2016, 05:10 PM
(22-02-2016 05:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  

The people who prefer vinyl prefer an idealized vision of vinyl that doesn't exist in the real world -- vinyl that is absolutely free of surface noise, and that doesn't degrade at all with multiple playings. Dynamic range is useless when the low end is swallowed up by surface noise. With a CD, I can actually hear the quiet parts.

I agree that CD blows MP3 out of the water.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
22-02-2016, 05:16 PM
(22-02-2016 05:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  

CD-DA is lossless, but high bit rate MP3 from a good encoding algorithm is lossless enough to be nearly indistinguishable to the ear...

22-02-2016, 05:31 PM
(22-02-2016 05:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 05:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, there's a large-ish community that would disagree. Consider

CD-DA is lossless, but high bit rate MP3 from a good encoding algorithm is lossless enough to be nearly indistinguishable to the ear...

And it depends on the music, the equipment, and the ear.

It's like .jpg image files. They're usually good enough for many purposes, but they have real limitations.

22-02-2016, 05:43 PM
(22-02-2016 05:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 05:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  CD-DA is lossless, but high bit rate MP3 from a good encoding algorithm is lossless enough to be nearly indistinguishable to the ear...

And it depends on the music, the equipment, and the ear.

It's like .jpg image files. They're usually good enough for many purposes, but they have real limitations.

True, the inescapable consequences of lossy compression don't go away.
(drawbacks and benefits!)

22-02-2016, 07:28 PM
I believe a cooperative society is better for everybody than a competitive one. I believe people should be rewarded fairly for their effort. I believe that coercion, from war to advertising, makes everyone worse off including those seeking to profit.

I can't prove any of these things, so I'll count them as beliefs.
22-02-2016, 07:44 PM
(21-02-2016 09:37 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  One thing I have noticed as an adult having adult conversations about everything under the sun... people do NOT like their POV, opinions, beliefs or ideals challenged. It is not just a religious thing.

What I would like to know is what are your "hot button" sincerely held positions that you refuse to yield to different ideas on? You know, the POV you argue continually and consistently and can't wait to proffer your opinion on. We all have them, do you know them, recognize them and do you own your own stubbornness?

This is a bit tongue-n-cheek but also not really.

It's an exercise in personal flexibility. Are you up for it? Smile

I just don't like arguments, period. Often if someone gets too in my face about an issue, I feel like they just want me to come over to their side of the argument and don't really want a discussion. This turns me off to the whole thing. It then just feels like bullying.

I am just not very argumentative by nature. I tend to go along with what other people want unless it just really really goes against some very deeply held ideal and I often may not know that it's deeply held unless someone says something against it.

Hmm. I recently "came out" to my kids about my atheism and I've had difficulty with that. I've found that, contrary to how I thought I'd feel, I don't want to talk about it with them. My daughter took me by total surprise when she brought up my lack of belief in one of her counseling sessions and I felt "attacked" and I just immediately clammed up and withdrew. My son believes that I just pretend not to believe in god so that I can be Rev's girlfriend. So yeah, I tend to just not even want to go there with them even though for fuck's sake they're just kids and I shouldn't be such a pussy, but just anything like that shuts me down and I can't make coherent statements, much less arguments.

I like this topic but I'll have to think about what things I do not back down on. You would think it'd be easy since I tend to be passive about most things, but it is proving rather difficult. Consider Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
22-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Thought of one. Smile Don't tell me that church is good for kids or that they need that "eye in the sky" mentality in order to behave. If you think that, well, I have little to no respect for you. In fact, as a person who as a child was raised with that "eye in the sky" shit and is still dealing with the effects of coming out of that brainwashing, well, if you think that was good for me... fuck you. Sleepy

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post