Don't Know How To Feel In This Situation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Don't Know How To Feel In This Situation
I have gone through an emotional few weeks trying to do whatever I could to help one of my students survive. He was in desperate need of a G-tube, and was very likely going to die without getting one. His mom was refusing to get one put in for him, and her reasoning was that she had a relative that had surgery and they ended up dying during the operation. He has been in the hospital for around 2 weeks now.

I found out today that he will finally be getting a G-tube. Unfortunately, the other side of the coin is very grim. His mother is now in the hospital, and in very bad shape. I don't know the exact circumstances, but the principal told us it's some type of "flesh eating" disease. The dad was not living with the kid, but the doctors spoke with him about the G-tube issue. Because the mom was no longer in a state to make these kinds of decisions, they allowed the dad to make a decision on the G-tube, and the dad approved it, so the kid will finally be getting it.

The very unfortunate part is that his mother is very likely going to die soon. It's just such a messed up situation that I really don't know how to feel. There is such a conflict of emotions. One the one hand, it's great that this kid will be getting an operation he is in desperate need of to survive. On the other hand, it's terrible that his mother will most likely die in the near future.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2014, 10:54 PM
RE: Don't Know How To Feel In This Situation
Wow, that family is dealing with a lot. I can understand why you've got such conflicting emotions here. Don't think that just because you're happy about the child getting the g-tube, that it means you are happy about the state the mother is in. You are allowed to have these contradictory feelings. It only makes sense Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
15-11-2014, 02:14 PM
RE: Don't Know How To Feel In This Situation
You are experiencing a Pyrrhic victory, where the cost of winning (the tube) has a devastating cost (the health of the mother). Your feelings are genuine and heartfelt, but conflicted. There's no easy answer to make you feel any better, except that time will heal over the wound. The scar will always remain, but it will eventually be less painful. Hang in there!

Hug

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post