Don't Panic!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Don't Panic!
Today is towel day, so don't forget to bring your towels with you wherever you go. They can get you out of any jam, as there isn't many a purpose they cannot serve.

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)[3]

Douglas Adams, a man who in too short of a time managed to enrich so many lives with his humor and wit. Thanks to him, I managed to enjoy reading again which has ended up swallowing many hours of my life, but joyfully so.
I've only read the Hitchikers guide once. That's right, once. Every time I've tried to pick them up to read them through again my brain does a complete instant recall of the entire contents within. Those books are inside my brain in a special place that even my ability to forget the most important details, cannot reach.

I have his Dirk Gently books as well, including the unfinished one. I'm glad they released it unfinished. Anything else would have seemed like heresy. I am not much of a crying man, but I will admit I felt a strong pang when I got to the last page. Realizing I'll never know the end of the story. Knowing there will be no more stories by an amazing author.

He died too young.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like lucradis's post
25-05-2012, 10:37 AM
RE: Don't Panic!
Got my towel locked and loaded.

What about a Snuggie?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
25-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Miss you, Douglas.

"Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad.

But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue."
- David Hume
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2012, 03:11 PM
[Image: Towelday-Innsbruck.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like kim's post