Don't Tell Me You Adopted an Animal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2016, 11:24 PM
RE: Don't Tell Me You Adopted an Animal
(15-02-2016 10:27 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:People who say they "adopted" a pet - seem to think that animals are equal to humans.

I prefer dogs to most people.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like wolves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2016, 11:36 PM
(15-02-2016 11:24 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 10:27 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I prefer dogs to most people.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like wolves."

"Homo homini lupus" is both an insight to man, and an insult to wolves.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
16-02-2016, 04:00 AM
(15-02-2016 03:40 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 02:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Okay, we can't adopt animals or highways, but can we still adopt legislation?

I'd rather adopt a pose.

I've just adopted a slightly belligerent attitude to the OP Tongue
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
16-02-2016, 06:37 AM
(16-02-2016 04:00 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 03:40 PM)jabeady Wrote:  I'd rather adopt a pose.

I've just adopted a slightly belligerent attitude to the OP Tongue

Hey -- if you think animals are better than people - you were halfway there to start with....

So I'm not out anything, eh???

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-02-2016, 07:19 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2016 07:46 AM by adey67.)
(16-02-2016 06:37 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 04:00 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I've just adopted a slightly belligerent attitude to the OP Tongue

Hey -- if you think animals are better than people - you were halfway there to start with....

Tongue

No as has been said by someone before if I had to make a choice between rescuing a kid or a dog the kid wins every time, we just have very different views on the nature of canine intelligence and emotions. Don't make the mistake of thinking I dislike you per se,because I sure don't, I think you are an ok dude, I just think your attitude to animals whilst thankfully not abusive definitely kinda sucks but I'm happy to agree to disagree if you are Smile and I respect your right to hold your opinion even if I cannot respect the opinion itself, its a funny old world eh Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
16-02-2016, 08:15 AM
(16-02-2016 06:37 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 04:00 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I've just adopted a slightly belligerent attitude to the OP Tongue

Tongue

I enjoy most of your posts, but on this one, you just are not up to date on the science of it all. My gramps thought the same you do... but current science proves all that wrong.

There isn't all that much difference between human animals and other animals. Perhaps you don't realize just how much your decisions are driven by DNA and body chemistry. Just like the other animals.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-02-2016, 08:22 AM
(15-02-2016 04:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Show evidence. Show the science. Don't quote the "Savior" Ingrid Newkirk....

Or, just join "the faithful" -- and quit using logic.

Dude, do you even read your own thread? People have posted research, including myself...
16-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Don't Tell Me You Adopted an Animal
(13-02-2016 07:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Because you didn't. You can't.

Adoption is a clearly defined legal term. It means that a human being (or two humans, jointly) take responsibility for the health, safety and welfare of a child, and do everything in their power to do their best to raise that child. It can take years of effort, legal wrangling and sometimes repeated heartbreak when it doesn't happen.

You can "get" a pet. You can borrow one, buy one, steal one - and hell - if you're really good in a laboratory - perhaps someday you'll be able to build one.

It's hugely insulting to those folks that take responsibility for a child and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars housing, feeding, caring for, entertaining, educating, disciplining and loving a child --- to compare that child to an animal you pet once a day, and then make shit into a box in the laundry room.......

The two things are just not equal.

People who say they "adopted" a pet - seem to think that animals are equal to humans.

I utterly refuse that notion.

I live higher on the food chain.

Adoption is solely for humans.

Oh, fuck off.

It must be like a dagger through the heart for you, every time someone adopts a kitten, or a new way of life, or a new philosophy.

Grow the fuck up. It's shit like this that turned the atheist/sceptic movement into a laughing stock.

Use whatever language you like, but don't go round trying to police mine.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
16-02-2016, 08:47 AM
(16-02-2016 08:22 AM)carol Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 04:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Show evidence. Show the science. Don't quote the "Savior" Ingrid Newkirk....

Or, just join "the faithful" -- and quit using logic.

Dude, do you even read your own thread? People have posted research, including myself...

Research?????

Ya know -- when somebody posts a dozen "sources" at once - it's a pretty sure indication they cut and pasted it from somewhere --- and usually someplace with an agenda.....

Let's look at your "research"....

The very first one --- Let's see who wrote it --------------

Stanley Coren is the author of many books including: Born to Bark; Do Dogs Dream? The Modern Dog; Why Do Dogs Have Wet Noses? The Pawprints of History; How Dogs Think; How To Speak Dog; Why We Love the Dogs We Do; What Do Dogs Know? The Intelligence of Dogs; Why Does My Dog Act That Way? Understanding Dogs for Dummies; Sleep Thieves; The Left-hander Syndrome (link is external)

If you don't see a pattern there -- I don't know what to say.

When you put up stuff by people with an agenda -- and in the case of Mr. Stanley Coren -- that agenda is pandering to animal lovers and selling books --- the "research" tends to take on a bit of a slant........................................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-02-2016, 09:30 AM
(16-02-2016 08:47 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 08:22 AM)carol Wrote:  Dude, do you even read your own thread? People have posted research, including myself...

Research?????

Ya know -- when somebody posts a dozen "sources" at once - it's a pretty sure indication they cut and pasted it from somewhere --- and usually someplace with an agenda.....

Let's look at your "research"....

The very first one --- Let's see who wrote it --------------

Stanley Coren is the author of many books including: Born to Bark; Do Dogs Dream? The Modern Dog; Why Do Dogs Have Wet Noses? The Pawprints of History; How Dogs Think; How To Speak Dog; Why We Love the Dogs We Do; What Do Dogs Know? The Intelligence of Dogs; Why Does My Dog Act That Way? Understanding Dogs for Dummies; Sleep Thieves; The Left-hander Syndrome (link is external)

If you don't see a pattern there -- I don't know what to say.

When you put up stuff by people with an agenda -- and in the case of Mr. Stanley Coren -- that agenda is pandering to animal lovers and selling books --- the "research" tends to take on a bit of a slant........................................
But OB of course Carol is going to put up research that backs up her claim just as you are going to put up research to try and back yours that's pretty much normal. I don't think that anyone will disagree that canines certainly are very highly food and instinct motivated but as someone who is not particularly an animal lover you are not going to be in a position to have witnessed the transcendent bond between man/ woman and dog in the same way perhaps we have.
My biggest beef with you (and I suspect other people too) is the objection to the word adopt. I simply and utterly refute that the use of the word adopt in relation to animals is in anyway disrespectful to children, no offence man but it just doesn't wash, its semantics.