Don't Tell Me You Adopted an Animal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2016, 11:49 AM
RE: Don't Tell Me You Adopted an Animal
(15-02-2016 11:45 AM)Matt Finney Nu Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 11:34 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm realistic too I know that when I do eventually summon the courage to commit suicide my dog will eat me rather than starve but it doesn't mean it doesn't care for me in life.

You could always send a letter to the police department before you do it so that they can come and take care of your dog. Or you could do it in a hotel so that you (and your dog) will be found quickly.

My recommendation would be to do it legally somewhere, and do it with the support of friends and family if possible. My sympathies.

Thanks, I'm in no imminent danger of hurting myself I was kinda trying to explain a point, but if I was gonna off myself I would make sure my dog was safe
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
15-02-2016, 12:04 PM
(13-02-2016 07:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Because you didn't. You can't.

Adoption is a clearly defined legal term. It means that a human being (or two humans, jointly) take responsibility for the health, safety and welfare of a child, and do everything in their power to do their best to raise that child. It can take years of effort, legal wrangling and sometimes repeated heartbreak when it doesn't happen.

You can "get" a pet. You can borrow one, buy one, steal one - and hell - if you're really good in a laboratory - perhaps someday you'll be able to build one.

It's hugely insulting to those folks that take responsibility for a child and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars housing, feeding, caring for, entertaining, educating, disciplining and loving a child --- to compare that child to an animal you pet once a day, and then make shit into a box in the laundry room.......

The two things are just not equal.

People who say they "adopted" a pet - seem to think that animals are equal to humans.

I utterly refuse that notion.

I live higher on the food chain.

Adoption is solely for humans.

[Image: 4b00402bb5ef5a174a634f87e5811bd9.png]

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
15-02-2016, 12:05 PM
(15-02-2016 10:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You incorrectly assign emotional states, to an animal that has no understanding of your idea of love...............

Do you think that dogs have no emotions at all, or just that love is too complex of an emotion for dogs to experience it?
15-02-2016, 12:11 PM
(15-02-2016 11:25 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 11:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  No, patience runs out. Learn the biology.

The only people who say that animals love, are people who want that to be true.

Show me a clinical study by someone not affiliated with PETA or other animal rights groups, and maybe you'll have something..................

Don't tell me to "learn" what you want to be true.

That's what theists do... "You just need faith to believe!!"....

This will be a forerunner of those studies. Funny things feelings, they are, in essence, a chemical reaction to stimuli. Something all animals have in common in one way or another but have yet to prove scientifically specifically for love, yet. This looks promising though.

Dogs have been known to die to try and save their people. That is not a food response, that is a need response... love is also a need response.

http://www.universityherald.com/articles...tlanta.htm

And what will the deniers say when the evidence states otherwise. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
15-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Love is a need response for humans too ! Totally get that !
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
15-02-2016, 02:05 PM
(15-02-2016 10:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 10:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Die in a room alone with your dog, and when he gets real hungry, he'll eat you with the same gusto as a bowl of Alpo....................

Cats don't wait until you're dead.

Nah, that's just your Room 101. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Ok, how about if I tell you that my cat adopted me?

True story: my (declawed) tortie showed up one day, waltzed into the house, and has yet to leave. That was 2.5 years ago.
I eventually found out that she left a home a few blocks away, where her "owner" had taken her in from his mother, who was destined for a nursing home.
In speaking to this owner, it was clear that he really couldn't care less about the cat: he wasn't abusive (she was well cared-for when we found her) but he was totally indifferent to the cat, and only responded to our "cat found" posters when his MIL brought it up, two weeks after we took the cat in.

So why choose us rather than her previous owner?

I expect that if we didn't fit the bill, the tortie would have left us to try her luck elsewhere. But she is clearly attached to us, and the feeling is mutual. Whether you choose to call that feeling love is not really important. This inter-species attachment is mutual and genuine, at least from the human perspective.

But then again, I object to people using the word love to describe their attachment to inanimate objects, like motorcycles, for instance. Tongue

Recently seen (on a cushion):
Dog says: they feed me, they shelter me, they love me: they must be god.
Cat says: they feed me, they shelter me, they love me: I must be god.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
― Bertrand Russell
[+] 4 users Like Reducetarian's post
15-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Okay, we can't adopt animals or highways, but can we still adopt legislation?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-02-2016, 03:40 PM
(15-02-2016 02:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Okay, we can't adopt animals or highways, but can we still adopt legislation?

I'd rather adopt a pose.
15-02-2016, 03:44 PM
(15-02-2016 11:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And when you can get your dog to say clearly "I love you, not simply because you feed me, but because you're just a really great gal" -- I'll believe your dog capable of love...............

While the verbalization needs work, these dogs speak pretty clearly:

Waiting by his master's side after mudslides in Brazil:
[Image: 319347_256032617833135_1178440320_n%201_zpspug4gcoz.jpg]

Capitan, waiting for 6+ years at his master's side:
[Image: na_bw_Mexico_Day_of_Dead_t440_zpsysjqfuyl.jpg]

Street dog trying to pull his buddy out of traffic:

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post