Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2013, 09:08 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(18-11-2013 02:07 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Quite the conundrum!

PJ says we can be saved. KC says our fates are predetermined. I'd say that KC's angle is more in-line with the description of the Christian god. After all, if your salvation is known (and therefore determined) before you're born, free-will becomes meaningless.

Au contraire, mon ami.
Jesus may very well love you ... but that does not mean just anyone gets to go on his big gay boat ride. Only those who are Elect are exempt from the fiery flames of ...uh... the place even Jews (Jesus' own people) do not believe in.

One must be specifically singled out and personally advised that one's particular soul is but a very few who were previously provided with a hall pass Wonka's golden ticket absolution. One's announcement would be epiphanic - a moment of sudden revelation or insight - perhaps, a dream experience.

If this notion of exclusivity is not placed by our dear lord into one's mind, verily I say unto thee, one is shit out of luck.

Thus is Jesus' message to the fucked: Love you guys - so long and enjoy a happy hell. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2013, 10:59 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
Guess I'm shit out of luck, then. Big Grin

I'm wondering what the point of morality is if you believe in predestination. It's one thing to believe that life simply ends without judgement; I'm cool with that. My judgement is happening here on Earth while I live. However, if I actually believed that I was going to be punished eternally, regardless of my actions, and that there was nothing I could do about it... Censored

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
19-11-2013, 12:56 PM
(18-11-2013 07:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(18-11-2013 03:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Look, I know y'all think I'm crazy, but at least my brand of crazy is rooted with logic and rationale.

That's true.

I think your premises are unsupportable, but you conclusions follow quite reasonably from them!

The end result is the same. Garbage In, Garbage Out.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
19-11-2013, 01:03 PM
(19-11-2013 08:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ahhh, fiery new members Smile

Gotta love them.

Um I'm only new on this forum. I'm not "new".

Quote:Don't worry... in a month or two you'll get burned out doing the atheism vs theism thing and then start hanging around the Casual Coffeehouse

You don't know me very well.

Quote:I used to never venture out of A&T... now well... I'm lucky if I make 10 posts a week in it.

Arguing the same stuff just gets old... trite... mind numbing.

I can see why you would tire of having your head handed to you over and over again.

Quote:Not that I don't appreciate your zeal... I love it. Reminds me of me when I first started posting. So, keep it up. Smile

You underestimate me greatly.

Quote:Just don't think I'm ignoring you... or dodging your questions... or that I can't debate you. I just don't want to.

That's a dodge in itself.

19-11-2013, 01:07 PM
(19-11-2013 10:59 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Guess I'm shit out of luck, then. Big Grin

I'm wondering what the point of morality is if you believe in predestination.

BINGO.

This cat they call Buddha pointed that out several hundred years before xtards showed up on the scene.

19-11-2013, 01:18 PM
(19-11-2013 01:03 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 08:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Just don't think I'm ignoring you... or dodging your questions... or that I can't debate you. I just don't want to.

That's a dodge in itself.

No, not really.
Kingsy has answered pretty much any questions one might want to ask him. No dodge here. Just a shit load of reading that really needn't be officially addressed again. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
19-11-2013, 02:00 PM
(19-11-2013 01:18 PM)kim Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:03 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That's a dodge in itself.

No, not really.
Kingsy has answered pretty much any questions one might want to ask him. No dodge here. Just a shit load of reading that really needn't be officially addressed again. Shy

Yeah. And, that's only a portion of it. I've answered so many other questions in various topics over the years.

And, I've never "had my ass handed to me" in a theological debate, and you won't be doing it either (if I actually got the fortitude to get into one).

Have I "lost"? Sure. Have I "won"? Absolutely. But, for the most part, theological debates between theists and atheists (if everyone is honest) usually end in a stalemate because the the root of the argument is based on non-empirical evidence; therefore, it cannot be proved or disproved.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
19-11-2013, 02:28 PM
(15-11-2013 03:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 03:21 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Some food for thought, KC?

My Calvinist friends tend not to correct unbelievers if they say they'd like to repent and choose Christianity or would like to place their trust in Christ--they normally wait until after their profession of faith or conversion and then over time, explain to them doctrines including predestination. But have you given thought to the fact that your doctrine strengthens fatalism among the atheists here? Does it disturb you when atheists at this forum say "If it's predestined, I won't study about Jesus or choose Christianity until God forces me to do it."

Shouldn't you be encouraging those on this forum to trust Jesus for salvation--and then later, you can explain to those who do about the predestined nature of their "choice"?

Thank you for your consideration, brother.

It is a slippery slope, indeed, and I'm not going to pretend to justify the fatalism and the potential to cause affirmation among atheists.

However, I also think that that my approach causes a less abrasive relationship with atheists and opens things up for serious conversations and meaningful relationships that can result in deep theological discussions.

Also, you know as well as me, that 90% of atheists came about their atheism through the rejection of theism; meaning, they already have some preconceived idea about theism and my fatalism isn't exactly "turning" them away per se.

Moreover, I don't really think too much on it because I have the complete faith that there is nothing I can ever do or say that can cause salvation or damnation. If someone is chosen for salvation, they will believe and my fatalistic view has no bearing on their decision.

I appreciate the question, PJ.

Thank you for your kind answer and your many insights, brother.
19-11-2013, 02:33 PM
(19-11-2013 01:18 PM)kim Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:03 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That's a dodge in itself.

No, not really.

You aren't addressing what I said. I don't really have any questions for him, either. What do I care about his flavor of superstitions?

And yes, it's a dodge. Not my problem if he doesn't want to defend his position, but not wanting to defend a position doesn't give anyone a free pass.

19-11-2013, 02:36 PM
(19-11-2013 02:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:18 PM)kim Wrote:  No, not really.

Yeah. And, that's only a portion of it. I've answered so many other questions in various topics over the years.

And, I've never "had my ass handed to me" in a theological debate, and you won't be doing it either (if I actually got the fortitude to get into one).

That's quite doubtful.

Quote:Have I "lost"? Sure. Have I "won"? Absolutely. But, for the most part, theological debates between theists and atheists (if everyone is honest) usually end in a stalemate because the the root of the argument is based on non-empirical evidence; therefore, it cannot be proved or disproved.
That's a dodge, too.