Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2013 03:25 PM by Lawls.)
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(14-11-2013 03:08 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  PS. Great avoidance, everyone, of actually responding to any of my three points.

Checkmate, Atheists (atheists).

I actually did, I posted above about how Earth having the only life in the universe is mathematically impossible. You sound really angry, maybe you should just go to a Christian forum with people who think like you do. Or just stop being such an obvious troll.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Lawls's post
14-11-2013, 03:24 PM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(14-11-2013 03:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 02:18 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  That is possibly the funniest picture I have seen.

Funnier than Laser Cats? Funnier than Rick Rolling? Funnier than Willy Wonka memes?

I should think not. It's more like a pretty, pretty picture of a beautiful universe and then a weird, Gentile-styled picture of Y'shua of Beit Lechem saying something He actually never says in either testament of the Bible or the apocrypha.

We call such an attack, Jaguar, a "straw man". So you have a funny looking straw man argument--with extra stars, sort of like a big box of Lucky Charms, as magically delicious as the Flying Spaghetti Atheist.

lol you talk about logic as if you knew something. Logic 101 PJ, a straw man is a form of fallacy, a fallacy, to be one, must first be a logic argument. Jokes are not logic arguments, therefore, they can't be fallacies, therefore, my picture is not a straw-man, it's just a joke.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post
14-11-2013, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2013 03:34 PM by Mr Woof.)
(14-11-2013 02:11 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  One is tempted to write, "Don't atheists feel the same way when they go against most of mankind with their paradigm?"

However, I will respond to wrote you wrote:

*There can be life on other planets

*There is amazing diversity of life here--we can see an amazing creation here on Earth with billions of living species, including higher animals, social animals and insects, and much more

If being Earth-centric seems arrogant of religion, than by the same token, if big God in a big universe is focused on little men, God is supremely humble

The cosmos may well have Intelligence beyond our comprehension and 'we' (soul, monad, whatever) could be tangentially linked, or this may not be the case at all.
The Christian Church largely reduces God (read, greatly higher motivating principle) to their own secular understandings of what might me good, within our limited domain.
Thus, our ideals, are egotistically transferred to God, who by stealth becomes the alleged initiator.Even here there is no consensus, with 1500 different Christian denominations and sects.

As for the great diversity of life, for fundamentalists God is seen as creating all this for mankind to govern over. Rather it would make more sense if everything was linked for some grand purpose, embracing all. Again there may be no ultimate purpose, and if there is, it is greatly more complex than fundamentalist Christian/ Judaism
[+] 5 users Like Mr Woof's post
14-11-2013, 03:26 PM
(14-11-2013 02:11 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  One is tempted to write, "Don't atheists feel the same way when they go against most of mankind with their paradigm?"

However, I will respond to wrote you wrote:

*There can be life on other planets

*There is amazing diversity of life here--we can see an amazing creation here on Earth with billions of living species, including higher animals, social animals and insects, and much more

If being Earth-centric seems arrogant of religion, than by the same token, if big God in a big universe is focused on little men, God is supremely humble

Alrighty, since you got a tad butthurt that no one responded to your post, here it goes.

One is tempted to write, "Don't atheists feel the same way when they go against most of mankind with their paradigm?"

No, atheists wonder why everyone is so blatantly shackled by an invisible being thought up by other humans.

"most" of mankind is a tad of a reach, since there are over 41,000 types of christian denominations alone. All with beliefs that are different from the other denominations. Now, if we total up the number of religious types, views, denominations, etc., that exist currently and historically, we run into a supremely large number.

There is no agreement among 'most' of mankind. Even the theists that grace this forum can't agree on the same god.

Humble doesn't seem like the right word (i'm actually questioning whether you know the definition of the word)....'wasteful' seems like a much worthier term.

I do not like chess much, so in response to your 'checkmate atheists' post....

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.
[+] 4 users Like jaguar3030's post
14-11-2013, 05:24 PM
(14-11-2013 02:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Wouldnt it be funny if advanced life did exist on other planets and the only reason they don't deal with us is because too many on this planet believe in invisible friends?

They will come here with their own book.
Convert or don't be saved..
Could have alien Atheists posting here Smile

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
15-11-2013, 02:13 AM
(14-11-2013 01:49 PM)Lawls Wrote:  Why would a god create only one planet that he would focus on? but then create uncountable other planets?

You might as well ask a painter why bother painting a hundred paintings if he only hangs one on his wall. Why the wasted effort, why the wasted space? The Abrahamic God is a creator, who finds joy in creating. The fact that He chooses to have a relationship with those on earth doesn't mean He hasn't done the same on other planets.
15-11-2013, 02:48 AM
Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
Why is it necessarily humble for a supposedly omnipotent/omniscient being to pay attention to any minutiae with its creation? In fact, one might argue, that such a being cannot help but "pay attention" to every particle of such a creation simultaneously at all times. Thus making no single particle any more special than another, and making humility unnecessary.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
15-11-2013, 03:38 AM
I have a had a few managers that thought they were god.. and they were overly interested in the minutiae... damn them..

I have to say its not mathematically impossible for there to be life on other planets, just as its not mathematically impossible for there not to be life on other planets.. Its just very improbable that there isn't something out there.. (very very very very improbable) its all about the scale.

Either answer is equally frightening..
15-11-2013, 04:16 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 04:30 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(15-11-2013 02:13 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  You might as well ask a painter why bother painting a hundred paintings if he only hangs one on his wall. Why the wasted effort, why the wasted space? The Abrahamic God is a creator, who finds joy in creating. The fact that He chooses to have a relationship with those on earth doesn't mean He hasn't done the same on other planets.

You might as well also ask how you have come into the possession of such insight into the motivations, pleasure, and hobbies of the supposed creator of the universe... Drinking Beverage

Has 'He' told you personally? Then why has 'He' kept this information from me?

Did you get it from a book? How do you know the information in the book is accurate?

Did someone else tell you about 'Him'? Where did that person get their information, and how far back does that line go?

And lastly, how can you substantiate your claims about 'His' motivations, actions, pleasures, and hobbies?

In my honest opinion, those who post that very copy-pasted like response often suffer from a sever lack of doubt.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-11-2013, 04:37 AM
(15-11-2013 04:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You might as well also ask how you have come into the possession of such insight into the motivations, pleasure, and hobbies of the supposed creator of the universe... Drinking Beverage

In my honest opinion, those who post that very copy-pasted like response often suffer from a sever lack of doubt.

Ouch, I'd love to know how how you've come into possession of such insight into my motivations so as to be able to suggest I suffer a severe lack of doubt? Or even, for that matter, being in the habit of copy-pasting a single sentence (My own by the way. Admittedly a bit more airy-fairy then usual- can't help it, I've been writing essays Blush_)