Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 08:07 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(22-11-2013 07:51 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 07:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Nah, it's all good Sabrina and EK.

I get how arrogant and exclusive Calvinism is. But, I take the queue from the Bible, God has His favorites; likewise, the Bible spells out election.

Even if I don't think it's "fair" or "just", it doesn't mean much because my knowledge and understanding are limited. God's is infinite. In that, it makes Him a worthy judge and a worthy pre-determiner.

So you are truly ok with believing in something that's quite possibly incredibly unjust? Did God not also gift you with awareness and the ability to educate and therefore judge good from bad? See - those things just don't jive in my head (which is why I left Christianity years ago)
How do you blindly follow - well, anything? What if your God preordained for me to burn in hell? You're ok with that? Dude...........

No I'm not all right with anyone going to hell. I hate the thought. But there's nothing I can do about it. I think it's unfair, personally, but that's based on my emotional humanity and not omniscient knowledge.

I also don't know if God preordained you to go to hell... anyone can have a regeneration at any time. I have no pre-conceived ideas or thoughts about anyone's eternity.

And Dom, yes, in a sense... but that can be said about anyone's belief. What the point of life if you're going to eventually fade into non-existence and have no recollection of anything that ever happened and eventually so will everyone that you have ever encountered?

I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

The thing is, while I know that it's all pre-ordained, I don't feel as if it is because God gives me desires.

These desires give me the illusion that I'm doing things under my own free will; therefore, giving myself a superficial sense of accomplishment... so to speak.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 08:09 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?

I get how arrogant and exclusive Calvinism is. But, I take the queue from the Bible, God has His favorites; likewise, the Bible spells out election.

Even if I don't think it's "fair" or "just", it doesn't mean much because my knowledge and understanding are limited. God's is infinite. In that, it makes Him a worthy judge and a worthy pre-determiner.

this post should be deleted............. don't know how

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
22-11-2013, 08:11 AM
(22-11-2013 08:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  These desires give me the illusion that I'm doing things under my own free will; therefore, giving myself a superficial sense of accomplishment... so to speak.

.............Shocking.......... whut?

22-11-2013, 08:13 AM
(22-11-2013 08:09 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  

this post should be deleted............. don't know how

I saw what you posted before the edit.

Please don't feel that way.

I in no way wanted you to feel brushed off. I've just had that question posed to me numerous times.

I've seriously considered it... I really have.

Thank you for asking, and please don't let that stop you in the future.

22-11-2013, 08:17 AM
(22-11-2013 08:11 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  These desires give me the illusion that I'm doing things under my own free will; therefore, giving myself a superficial sense of accomplishment... so to speak.

.............Shocking.......... whut?

Well... Dom is right. If it is all pre-determined anything I do isn't really of me.

All my desires though... have been given to me by God... all the things I want to do, accomplish, love, hate, enjoy, etc. All of this was constructed by God. Anything I do, down to the minutia, was predetermined.

That being said, when I fulfill my desires that God granted me, I feel accomplished. That too was pre-determined, but I don't feel that way because my desires are my own but have been given to me by God.

22-11-2013, 08:20 AM
(22-11-2013 08:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:11 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  .............Shocking.......... whut?

Well... Dom is right. If it is all pre-determined anything I do isn't really of me.

All my desires though... have been given to me by God... all the things I want to do, accomplish, love, hate, enjoy, etc. All of this was constructed by God. Anything I do, down to the minutia, was predetermined.

That being said, when I fulfill my desires that God granted me, I feel accomplished. That too was pre-determined, but I don't feel that way because my desires are my own but have been given to me by God.

Ok. I'll play along.
So..........following your theory..... God preordained ME to not believe in him (in relation to how other's see him) and therefore preordained me to give his followers an incredibly hard time? Does your God have a sick sense of humor - or what? Or does my railing against blind faith only make you dig in? Cause I seem to inspire that quite a bit. LOL Seems my whole life the more I "WTF?" the more those I ask just dig in more and more.
Wonder why that is?

22-11-2013, 08:21 AM
(22-11-2013 08:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:09 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  this post should be deleted............. don't know how

I saw what you posted before the edit.

Please don't feel that way.

I in no way wanted you to feel brushed off. I've just had that question posed to me numerous times.

I've seriously considered it... I really have.

Thank you for asking, and please don't let that stop you in the future.

No I was being impatient. The fault was mine.

22-11-2013, 08:22 AM
(22-11-2013 08:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  And Dom, yes, in a sense... but that can be said about anyone's belief. What the point of life if you're going to eventually fade into non-existence and have no recollection of anything that ever happened and eventually so will everyone that you have ever encountered?

The point is that if I am useful or of help to people in the here and now, it will make all the difference. Their entire existence will be improved.

If I affect society, the entire existence of future generations will be affected.

If I do this as character in a play with scripts, I will have done nothing. The major part of their existence will have been pre-determined and nothing I do will have any effect whatsoever.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-11-2013, 08:28 AM
(22-11-2013 08:20 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well... Dom is right. If it is all pre-determined anything I do isn't really of me.

Ok. I'll play along.
So..........following your theory..... God preordained ME to not believe in him (in relation to how other's see him) and therefore preordained me to give his followers an incredibly hard time? Does your God have a sick sense of humor - or what? Or does my railing against blind faith only make you dig in? Cause I seem to inspire that quite a bit. LOL Seems my whole life the more I "WTF?" the more those I ask just dig in more and more.
Wonder why that is?

I don't a concrete answer to that.

But, I believe it's based on a cause and effect since God is also order. Because not all are elect, there will be those that oppose the idea of Christianity and God. Since God bestowed emotion to humanity, this creates conflict.

All of God's creations have a cause and an effect.

22-11-2013, 08:32 AM
(22-11-2013 08:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:20 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Ok. I'll play along.
Wonder why that is?

I don't a concrete answer to that.

But, I believe it's based on a cause and effect since God is also order. Because not all are elect, there will be those that oppose the idea of Christianity and God. Since God bestowed emotion to humanity, this creates conflict.

All of God's creations have a cause and an effect.

And where you lack answers is where *faith* comes in. Yes?
While I may not agree with your particular application of *faith* I can appreciate that you feel that way. I have empathy for those of Faith. I don't have to agree with everything to have an understanding of why it happens.
There are times, however, when I absolutely RAIL against Faith. When faith seems to hurt or hide or confuse or abuse then you will see me rail against it.