Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 08:33 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(22-11-2013 08:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  And Dom, yes, in a sense... but that can be said about anyone's belief. What the point of life if you're going to eventually fade into non-existence and have no recollection of anything that ever happened and eventually so will everyone that you have ever encountered?

The point is that if I am useful or of help to people in the here and now, it will make all the difference. Their entire existence will be improved.

If I affect society, the entire existence of future generations will be affected.

If I do this as character in a play with scripts, I will have done nothing. The major part of their existence will have been pre-determined and nothing I do will have any effect whatsoever.

And I interpret these actions as the desires that God has given me.

Do you see what I'm saying?

I can't go against my desires and my acting upon my desires, but be that as it may, it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

If you want to get technical, anything we do, regardless of what we believe, will eventually make no difference in the world given enough time.

What matter is how we feel during our duration on Earth... what we do... how we interact. All of those things matter to you and to me. We just disagree on the origination point.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 08:36 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(22-11-2013 08:32 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't a concrete answer to that.

But, I believe it's based on a cause and effect since God is also order. Because not all are elect, there will be those that oppose the idea of Christianity and God. Since God bestowed emotion to humanity, this creates conflict.

All of God's creations have a cause and an effect.

And where you lack answers is where *faith* comes in. Yes?
While I may not agree with your particular application of *faith* I can appreciate that you feel that way. I have empathy for those of Faith. I don't have to agree with everything to have an understanding of why it happens.
There are times, however, when I absolutely RAIL against Faith. When faith seems to hurt or hide or confuse or abuse then you will see me rail against it.

No absolutely not.

My entire belief in God is based on faith. 100%.

God's existence cannot be proved empirically; therefore, God has to give His elect faith.

It explains in the Bible that God gifts His beloved with the faith to believe.

Only those that receive the gift of faith can have it (to believe in God).

22-11-2013, 08:44 AM
(21-11-2013 08:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 08:00 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Liar. And I'm not a "she".

You tried to strawman me and shift your burden of proof, and I called you on it. Typical xtard bullshit, no surprise at all.

Yes, that is precisely what debating you is like.

You got vitriol after you tried to strawman me and shift your burden of proof. I have no respect at all for intellectual dishonesty, and you got that in bushels.

No, you started the vitriol.

I didn't say I didn't.

Quote:He never tried to shift the burden of proof since he never made any factual claim.
He says he believes in God and he said the existence of God is neither provable nor disprovable.

When he talks agout "Gawd does this...." and "Gawd does that...", the underlying assumption is that this "Gawd" exists. He is begging the question and has the burden of proving that this "Gawd" exists before he can talk about the qualities of this "Gawd". What he is trying to do is make an end run around his burden of proof, and I'm calling him on it.

Quote:He has put up no strawman argument and, although I believe he is deluded in his belief, he is not dishonest.
INCORRECT. He falsely claimed that I had said "There is no Gawd" -- which i did not -- and started bleating about how I bore the burden of proving a statement I never made. THAT is a strawman.

Both tactics are intellectually dishonest. I don't play theists' shell games. I call bullshit and if they insist in continuing them the gloves are off.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
22-11-2013, 08:47 AM
(21-11-2013 08:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 08:01 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Intellectually dishonest bullshit tactics like you tried to pull is not civil or intellectual. You get what you ask for.

No, you're dishing out what you seem to need. He has displayed no "dishonest bullshit tactics".
If you think he has, please point those out precisely and clearly - you haven't done that yet.
Yes, I did. He claimed I had said "there is no Gawd", and tried to press me to prove it, and I called him on it when he did it. I didn't make that claim, he pulled it out of his ass as a red herring.

22-11-2013, 08:47 AM
(22-11-2013 08:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  The point is that if I am useful or of help to people in the here and now, it will make all the difference. Their entire existence will be improved.

If I affect society, the entire existence of future generations will be affected.

If I do this as character in a play with scripts, I will have done nothing. The major part of their existence will have been pre-determined and nothing I do will have any effect whatsoever.

And I interpret these actions as the desires that God has given me.

I can't go against my desires and my acting upon my desires, but be that as it may, it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

If you want to get technical, anything we do, regardless of what we believe, will eventually make no difference in the world given enough time.

What matter is how we feel during our duration on Earth... what we do... how we interact. All of those things matter to you and to me. We just disagree on the origination point.

Well, none of it matters in the end. Whether I am Mother Teresa or the devil himself, I am going to hell, and that would be the vast majority of my existence. So, why not just be a selfish bitch and enjoy what I can while I can?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
22-11-2013, 08:49 AM
(21-11-2013 10:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm have too much fun conversing with Rage Against the Machine.

More like Call The Atheist Bullshitter On His Shit.

22-11-2013, 08:49 AM
(21-11-2013 10:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Nothing is impossible.

But, under the confines of omniscience, this becomes somewhat of a tricky subject... granted, using the term "confines" to explain something with no limits is a bit hollow, but I think you get what I'm trying to say.

God can change His mind, but He already knew what His decision was going to be; therefore, His decision will always be the decision He originally decided regardless if He changed it or not due to omniscience.

You make that shit up as you go along.

22-11-2013, 08:51 AM
(22-11-2013 08:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  And I interpret these actions as the desires that God has given me.

Well, none of it matters in the end. Whether I am Mother Teresa or the devil himself, I am going to hell, and that would be the vast majority of my existence. So, why not just be a selfish bitch and enjoy what I can while I can?

I don't know that.

And you don't believe in hell.

So, that shouldn't be a factor in your choices.

22-11-2013, 08:53 AM

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
22-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Taq- although you and I agree 99% of the time - this is one of the weird spots where we don't agree. I see KC providing *his* interpretation purely. Aka he is not asking anyone else to believe as he does. He doesn't expect anyone else to accept, understand nor apply his beliefs. That's pretty benign. I know you take exception to ANYone's claim of a God - I get that - but the distinction between you and me is I have empathy for belief where you see none. And that's fine - (with me anyway). I won't defend KC's beliefs to you but I will add (here) that I appreciate that he can share his theories or beliefs without demanding that I adopt them. He gets points with me for that.

Reminds me of a conversation we had long ago and far away of HOW dangerous IS belief? Maybe we should have a thread about that here?? It's a good discussion. Lots may be revealed and shared with *that* sort of conversation eh?

(hugs for my Taq........... long time friend)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post