Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 05:08 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(15-11-2013 04:37 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 04:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You might as well also ask how you have come into the possession of such insight into the motivations, pleasure, and hobbies of the supposed creator of the universe... Drinking Beverage

In my honest opinion, those who post that very copy-pasted like response often suffer from a sever lack of doubt.

Ouch, I'd love to know how how you've come into possession of such insight into my motivations so as to be able to suggest I suffer a severe lack of doubt? Or even, for that matter, being in the habit of copy-pasting a single sentence (My own by the way. Admittedly a bit more airy-fairy then usual- can't help it, I've been writing essays Blush_)

Notice I had the qualifiers 'often' and 'very like', because I doubt myself and my ability to analyze people (and potential plagiarism) over forums posts enough to not claim that you absolutely did either. However it is a particular trend of theists, and it's no wonder, reading the Bible does nothing but give you the impression that doubt is bad and is indeed the first doorway to Hell itself. Also, they all tend to quote from the same books, so their writing gets a bit samey. Undecided

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2013, 05:57 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(15-11-2013 05:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Notice I had the qualifiers 'often' and 'very like', because I doubt myself and my ability to analyze people (and potential plagiarism) over forums posts enough to not claim that you absolutely did either. However it is a particular trend of theists, and it's no wonder, reading the Bible does nothing but give you the impression that doubt is bad and is indeed the first doorway to Hell itself. Also, they all tend to quote from the same books, so their writing gets a bit samey. Undecided

You know, I posted that and did feel like it was a bit of a cheap shot, so sorry if you didn't feel like I gave your comment enough credit (it's late here, I'm tired). But it's a bit of a generalisation and cheap shot yourself about theists though, isn't it?
15-11-2013, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 07:18 AM by Hafnof.)
(14-11-2013 03:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 02:18 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  That is possibly the funniest picture I have seen.

Funnier than Laser Cats? Funnier than Rick Rolling? Funnier than Willy Wonka memes?

Yes, yes, and yes.

(14-11-2013 03:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I should think not. It's more like a pretty, pretty picture of a beautiful universe and then a weird, Gentile-styled picture of Y'shua of Beit Lechem saying something He actually never says in either testament of the Bible or the apocrypha.

As a seasoned connoisseur of atheist humor, I can certify this image as being among the funniest of its class. It efficiently emphasises critical thinking and science over magical thinking, and in two mere words satirises both the teleological argument and the argument from morality often presented by theists in this and other forums. It even, as you point out, takes a stab at the ethnocentric and sanitised nature of modern religious practice and its supposed rebellion against being part of the world while simultaneously complying with every major demand of secular society on its congregation and its practices. It is objectively hilarious.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
15-11-2013, 07:58 AM
(15-11-2013 05:57 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  You know, I posted that and did feel like it was a bit of a cheap shot, so sorry if you didn't feel like I gave your comment enough credit (it's late here, I'm tired). But it's a bit of a generalisation and cheap shot yourself about theists though, isn't it?

Fair enough, but when you've been dealing with PJ, Heywood and the long list of drive-by theists and personal messiahs (we've had 2-3 personal reincarnations of the second coming near as I can tell); granting theists the 'benefit of the doubt'... Well, at this point, the amount of doubt granted is rather thin.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
15-11-2013, 08:56 AM
(14-11-2013 02:14 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 02:11 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  One is tempted to write, "Don't atheists feel the same way when they go against most of mankind with their paradigm?"

However, I will respond to wrote you wrote:

*There can be life on other planets

*There is amazing diversity of life here--we can see an amazing creation here on Earth with billions of living species, including higher animals, social animals and insects, and much more

If being Earth-centric seems arrogant of religion, than by the same token, if big God in a big universe is focused on little men, God is supremely humble

[Image: 57b.jpg]

Thanks! This pic is awesome! Aside from the humor at the bottom (very funny by the way Laugh out load ), this is a great representation of what I saw in a planetarium show about a year ago. The impact was even greater in the planetarium show as they visually zoomed further and further out into the universe and it hit me like a ton of bricks just how infinitesimally small Earth is within the universe. And then my mind went to the same thoughts as what the OP says. There is just no way it makes sense that a god who could govern all that would care about what's going on in each mind of each of us on this almost nothing planet.

Simply knowing the universe is immense is nothing compared with seeing this kind of visual representation. So thanks again. Now I have something I can show in conversations where I bring this point up.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
15-11-2013, 09:03 AM
(14-11-2013 03:08 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  PS. Great avoidance, everyone, of actually responding to any of my three points.

Checkmate, Atheists (atheists).

Actually, your 3 points avoided the OP topic (ok, maybe I'll give you the "humble" one as being on topic). You should try discussing how it makes sense that a god of the universe would care about something so proportionally irrelevant as Earth is to that god and to the universe and why that god would have created planets and us so small in the first place.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
15-11-2013, 09:11 AM
(15-11-2013 02:48 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Why is it necessarily humble for a supposedly omnipotent/omniscient being to pay attention to any minutiae with its creation? In fact, one might argue, that such a being cannot help but "pay attention" to every particle of such a creation simultaneously at all times. Thus making no single particle any more special than another, and making humility unnecessary.
One might also say that continuing to pay attention to one's own creation without end is a bit conceited, not humble.

15-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(15-11-2013 09:11 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 02:48 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Why is it necessarily humble for a supposedly omnipotent/omniscient being to pay attention to any minutiae with its creation? In fact, one might argue, that such a being cannot help but "pay attention" to every particle of such a creation simultaneously at all times. Thus making no single particle any more special than another, and making humility unnecessary.
One might also say that continuing to pay attention to one's own creation without end is a bit conceited, not humble.

But, if you were both omniscient and omnipotent you wouldn't be able to help it. You'd be continually aware of every particle. However, there would also be no need for concern. You'd always know exactly what's going to happen.

I find it funny when theists seem unaware of the true implications of omniscience. But, being human, perhaps it's not easy.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
15-11-2013, 09:36 AM
(15-11-2013 09:19 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 09:11 AM)Impulse Wrote:  One might also say that continuing to pay attention to one's own creation without end is a bit conceited, not humble.

But, if you were both omniscient and omnipotent you wouldn't be able to help it. You'd be continually aware of every particle. However, there would also be no need for concern. You'd always know exactly what's going to happen.

I find it funny when theists seem unaware of the true implications of omniscience. But, being human, perhaps it's not easy.
It's true - an omniscient, omnipotent god couldn't help being conceited. Wink

No seriously, I got your point and you're right.

Things like "humble" and "conceitedness" are really human traits that people ascribe to their concepts of god anyway. We view things through human eyes and, especially out of the context of science, our conclusions often reflect that limitation - like the Bible for instance.

15-11-2013, 11:06 AM
(14-11-2013 03:15 PM)Lawls Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 03:08 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  PS. Great avoidance, everyone, of actually responding to any of my three points.

Checkmate, Atheists (atheists).

I actually did, I posted above about how Earth having the only life in the universe is mathematically impossible. You sound really angry, maybe you should just go to a Christian forum with people who think like you do. Or just stop being such an obvious troll.

And I'd posted about how there might be life on other planets, other systems. You're the one who posted the straw man argument.

Your comment about only going to a forum where people think like me, which further helps leave your atheists only talking with other atheists, shows a lot of narrow mindedness about the nature of intellectual discourse and the greater conversation.