Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 09:40 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(22-11-2013 07:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 07:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God-Rock Paradox.

Oh, and do you want me to go into this?

-_-

not the freakin' GRP again, please? Anything but this.

Why is it so hard to accept a non-omnipotent God? Why do you have to avoid the logical outcome by claiming a paradox and moving on?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 09:49 AM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(22-11-2013 09:40 AM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 07:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh, and do you want me to go into this?

-_-

not the freakin' GRP again, please? Anything but this.

Why is it so hard to accept a non-omnipotent God? Why do you have to avoid the logical outcome by claiming a paradox and moving on?

Ummm what?

No. I've just debated the GRP eleventy-billion times.

Pretty sure FT knows where I'm coming from on it. If not, he'll ask for me to clarify.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-11-2013, 10:28 AM
(22-11-2013 09:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 09:40 AM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  Why is it so hard to accept a non-omnipotent God? Why do you have to avoid the logical outcome by claiming a paradox and moving on?

Ummm what?

Pretty sure FT knows where I'm coming from on it. If not, he'll ask for me to clarify.

No, my question isn't specifically to you, more of a observation of Christianity in General. A lot of Christians devise the concept of a God who is all powerful, but then they have the problem of the "God-Rock Paradox" as you call it. I was just wondering why don't most people just say "Well, God might not be ALL-powerful, but he is powerful enough to control the universe and all that dwell with in it", thus solving the problem all together.

Why must people refuse to admit to the logical solution to it: God is not Omnipotent, and move on with it?
[+] 1 user Likes Boysurroundedbymoms's post
22-11-2013, 10:35 AM
(22-11-2013 10:28 AM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 09:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ummm what?

No, my question isn't specifically to you, more of a observation of Christianity in General. A lot of Christians devise the concept of a God who is all powerful, but then they have the problem of the "God-Rock Paradox" as you call it. I was just wondering why don't most people just say "Well, God might not be ALL-powerful, but he is powerful enough to control the universe and all that dwell with in it", thus solving the problem all together.

Why must people refuse to admit to the logical solution to it: God is not Omnipotent, and move on with it?

Because omnipotence is a defining characteristic of what makes God a God. Take away His omnipotence, and he's just a boss at the end of a level...

It removes His perfection which would remove the right to be considered 'God".

22-11-2013, 10:52 AM
(22-11-2013 10:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because omnipotence is a defining characteristic of what makes God a God. Take away His omnipotence, and he's just a boss at the end of a level...

I think you are fully aware of the fact that this is not true. None of the Hindu, Egyptian, Greek and Roman Gods are omnipotent.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
22-11-2013, 10:59 AM
(22-11-2013 10:52 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because omnipotence is a defining characteristic of what makes God a God. Take away His omnipotence, and he's just a boss at the end of a level...

I think you are fully aware of the fact that this is not true. None of the Hindu, Egyptian, Greek and Roman Gods are omnipotent.

I should have noted that it was in regards to Christian theology.

The belief that the Christian God is O-Cubed makes Him greater than any other gods in any other belief. Removing the fact that Christians think those other religions are false, most see these gods as glorified humans... not worthy of worship... because they lack omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence.

22-11-2013, 11:01 AM
(22-11-2013 10:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:52 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I think you are fully aware of the fact that this is not true. None of the Hindu, Egyptian, Greek and Roman Gods are omnipotent.

I should have noted that it was in regards to Christian theology.

The belief that the Christian God is O-Cubed makes Him greater than any other gods in any other belief. Removing the fact that Christians think those other religions are false, most see these gods as glorified humans... not worthy of worship... because they lack omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence.

O-Cubed???? FUCK!!?? Please don't do math. AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Weeping

*dead faint*

(for those who don't know me...........this ^ is a joke)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
22-11-2013, 05:14 PM
(22-11-2013 07:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 12:53 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  But can god change his mind on something so as to defy his plan? He is supposed to be all-powerful after all.

God-Rock Paradox.

C'mon, KC. You know that's not an answer; yes I was aiming at that Paradox, but the paradox is the only conclusion one can draw from the two traits of omniscience and omnipotence; that they are inter-contradictory traits and I wanted to see how you solved the problem.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
22-11-2013, 05:27 PM
(22-11-2013 05:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 07:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God-Rock Paradox.

C'mon, KC. You know that's not an answer; yes I was aiming at that Paradox, but the paradox is the only conclusion one can draw from the two traits of omniscience and omnipotence; that they are inter-contradictory traits and I wanted to see how you solved the problem.

I love you Free (no homo)but do not go there. Angry

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-11-2013, 05:36 PM
(22-11-2013 05:27 PM)kim Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 05:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  C'mon, KC. You know that's not an answer; yes I was aiming at that Paradox, but the paradox is the only conclusion one can draw from the two traits of omniscience and omnipotence; that they are inter-contradictory traits and I wanted to see how you solved the problem.

I love you Free (no homo)but do not go there. Angry

I maintain my belief that curiosity did not indeed killed the cat, but rather made the kittens.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post