Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 06:30 PM
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(22-11-2013 08:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ... What the point of life if you're going to eventually fade into non-existence and have no recollection of anything that ever happened and eventually so will everyone that you have ever encountered?

I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

(22-11-2013 08:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If you want to get technical, anything we do, regardless of what we believe, will eventually make no difference in the world given enough time.

What matter is how we feel during our duration on Earth... what we do... how we interact. All of those things matter to you and to me. We just disagree on the origination point.

And what of the ancient hominids from whom we are descended? Haven't they faded from memory? And the microorganisms from whom they and we are descended? Do we have monuments erected to them?

And yet, their importance is in you and I and everyone we know and all things living on this planet, is it not? Without them, where would you and I be? I call that important. Their memory is not necessary for their existence or actions to be important.

Your final sentence belies your understanding. You *do* know their importance. But, do you still think that's what atheists believe? That their existence is for naught in the end?

My existence lives on in my daughters and my son. What of yours?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 08:26 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
RE: Don't Theists ever think about how insanely out of proportion their beliefs are?
(22-11-2013 07:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  My issue with that whole Calvinism thing is that it makes everything pointless. We are just characters in some play that runs according to script. No point trying to change anything in one's life. No responsibility for anything. Everything one does is totally pointless.

(EDIT: addressing KC):

And no point in getting all stupid when I call you on your bullshit, because according to your batshit fairy story, I have no choice in the matter and was predestined to do it by your imaginary deity itself.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
22-11-2013, 08:05 PM
(22-11-2013 08:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  What the point of life if you're going to eventually fade into non-existence and have no recollection of anything that ever happened and eventually so will everyone that you have ever encountered?

What makes you think there has to be a point?

22-11-2013, 08:09 PM
(22-11-2013 08:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, I believe it's based on a cause and effect since God is also order. Because not all are elect, there will be those that oppose the idea of Christianity and God. Since God bestowed emotion to humanity, this creates conflict.

All of God's creations have a cause and an effect.

So your getting all huffy at me for jacking you up, as I was Ordained By Your Gawd To Do, is a function of your own doubts in your fairy story.

22-11-2013, 08:11 PM
(22-11-2013 08:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God's existence cannot be proved empirically; therefore, God has to give His elect faith.

Word. Salad. Rolleyes

22-11-2013, 08:15 PM
(22-11-2013 08:55 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Taq- although you and I agree 99% of the time - this is one of the weird spots where we don't agree. I see KC providing *his* interpretation purely. Aka he is not asking anyone else to believe as he does. He doesn't expect anyone else to accept, understand nor apply his beliefs. That's pretty benign. I know you take exception to ANYone's claim of a God - I get that - but the distinction between you and me is I have empathy for belief where you see none. And that's fine - (with me anyway). I won't defend KC's beliefs to you but I will add (here) that I appreciate that he can share his theories or beliefs without demanding that I adopt them. He gets points with me for that.

Reminds me of a conversation we had long ago and far away of HOW dangerous IS belief? Maybe we should have a thread about that here?? It's a good discussion. Lots may be revealed and shared with *that* sort of conversation eh?

(hugs for my Taq........... long time friend)

I understand (hugs), but he isn't saying "my interpretation is this....", etc. He says "Gawd does this, Gawd does that..." and he is sidestepping his obligation to prove there is such an entity in the first place.

22-11-2013, 08:16 PM
(22-11-2013 09:03 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  You are right, it isn't. I was just trying to imagine being a Calvinist.

I read and re-read up on Calvinist this morning because sadly I just did not remember my history of religions and sects. But I'd sure have issue with my life being preordained. I mean............. why bother....... erm........ with anything? Can I just sit in my jammies and eat potato chips and never take a shower, read a book, help my fellow man or do good deeds of any sort? That just sucks.

LOL keep in mind that Fred Phelps is a Calvinist.

22-11-2013, 08:17 PM
(22-11-2013 09:29 AM)Vosur Wrote:  What I find strange about Calvinism is that every Calvinist I've talked to believes that he is one of the 'chosen ones'. Consider

On a separate note, Jeremy, I think you should replace the word "I" with "God" in your future posts. I've done it in my head and the results are priceless. [Image: 3xNuwIr.gif]

QFTMFT.

22-11-2013, 08:19 PM
(22-11-2013 10:28 AM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 09:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ummm what?

No. I've just debated the GRP eleventy-billion times.

Pretty sure FT knows where I'm coming from on it. If not, he'll ask for me to clarify.

No, my question isn't specifically to you, more of a observation of Christianity in General. A lot of Christians devise the concept of a God who is all powerful, but then they have the problem of the "God-Rock Paradox" as you call it. I was just wondering why don't most people just say "Well, God might not be ALL-powerful, but he is powerful enough to control the universe and all that dwell with in it", thus solving the problem all together.

Why must people refuse to admit to the logical solution to it: God is not Omnipotent, and move on with it?

Because it destroys their claim utterly, and their entire house of cards collapses if they admit defeat.

22-11-2013, 08:20 PM
(22-11-2013 10:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:28 AM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  No, my question isn't specifically to you, more of a observation of Christianity in General. A lot of Christians devise the concept of a God who is all powerful, but then they have the problem of the "God-Rock Paradox" as you call it. I was just wondering why don't most people just say "Well, God might not be ALL-powerful, but he is powerful enough to control the universe and all that dwell with in it", thus solving the problem all together.

Why must people refuse to admit to the logical solution to it: God is not Omnipotent, and move on with it?

Because omnipotence is a defining characteristic of what makes God a God. Take away His omnipotence, and he's just a boss at the end of a level...

It removes His perfection which would remove the right to be considered 'God".

And you just can't admit that, because then you have to look at the whole fairy story honestly, and the only course of action you could take if you did is to reject it, kit and kaboodle.