Don't ask don't tell repealed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Don't ask don't tell repealed
Haven't posted here for some time, but anyway, don't ask don't tell is repealed(hopefully for good)! I'm pretty happy about this, even though I realize it might be more important in principle than in a practical sense. But, none the less, I see it as a long awaited change. I don't expect a lot of people here to be upset at the repeal, seems like this site has remained full of thinking, smart people. I did go snooping around some Jesus nut sites, such as Rapture Ready, and found this thread.

I find the arguments for keeping gays out of the military funny and depressing. Mostly it's just the typical 'gay people gross me out'. Here's a gem of an argument I found there.
Quote:Aside from the morality and morale issues, they should have given thoughts for the health issue. Wars are bloody events. HIV can be spread through infected blood. Men with men relationships have been the biggest transmitters of HIV. Will this eventually lead to lawsuits after someone gets AIDS because they were infected by contaminated blood while trying to save the life of a fellow soldier? They are in enough danger during fighting. This could put them in more unnecesssary danger. Or will someone refrain from rescuing a wounded person because of known sexual proclivities? Have the powers that be given any thought to issues other than gays demanding civil rights?
Because, naturally, all gays have aids. Side note about this; I'd image that they wouldn't let people with such series ailments in the military as aids/HIV. Am I wrong?

The only argument that I could give any credence to is the idea that it would harm unit cohesion, which, according to a new survey, is false(with the exception of the Navy, I believe). And even if that was true, it would seem backwards to ban gays in favor of bigots. By that logic we should have kept segregation because black people eating next to racists might make the racist uncomfortable.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2010, 08:14 PM
RE: Don't ask don't tell repealed
That was such a disgusting forum (the one you linked to), "we can't express our feelings about homosexuality" WTF? How close-minded do you have to be to have an opinion about a certain sexuality? They are so damn elitist too, "I don't want my good Christian boy stationed with a bunch of perverts." How does homosexuals being allowed to be open about their sexuality have anything to do with perversion? Do they really thing that homosexuals are the only perverts in the world? The fucking ignorance!

Sorry... That just really pissed me off.
19-12-2010, 08:22 PM
(19-12-2010 08:14 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  That was such a disgusting forum (the one you linked to), "we can't express our feelings about homosexuality" WTF? How close-minded do you have to be to have an opinion about a certain sexuality? They are so damn elitist too, "I don't want my good Christian boy stationed with a bunch of perverts." How does homosexuals being allowed to be open about their sexuality have anything to do with perversion? Do they really thing that homosexuals are the only perverts in the world? The fucking ignorance!

Sorry... That just really pissed me off.

I had the same initial reaction too. Just remember though, we won. DADT is repealed.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
19-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah, guess we are sorta winning the war, well from my perspective anyways, no "ID" is being taught in American schools, DADT is repealed, Women have the ability to choose (although this is still highly controversial to anybody, I'd consider it a win for reason given current situations), but we still have losses, I mean look at one of the major parties in our country! That alone is just embarrassing.
19-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't know what is more depressing, how slow out legislation process is, or how fast it can be when the majority only has one lame duck period left. But still, progress! At least they are the ones gripping about how America is going to hell, not us.

20-12-2010, 08:18 AM
I think there was more politics then prejudice involved here (but obviously some of the politics was to cater to prejudice).

I've also read that there was a financial issue in play that were not really discussed openly. The government is concerned that if they recognize gay soldiers, it is inevitable, especially considering the gay marriage debate and how public sentiment is more and more leaning towards allowing it nationally, that they will have to recognize gay partners. That means at some point they will be paying the partner of a gay soldiers death benefits for a soldier who is KIA, health benefits, etc. That opens the door to an expensive proposition. The military already spends a lot on these benefits, and they would like to limit their future exposure. This policy does the opposite.

There is, I believe, a similar concern about gay marriage too. To qualify for social security or medicare, you have to either have worked and paid into it, or been married to someone for a period of time (I forget the minimum) who paid in. Under current law, a gay person who does not work will never qualify. However, if the federal government recognizes gay marriage then that means a gay man or woman can be an at-home spouse to take care of kids and qualify for federal benefits at retirement. That potentially reduces the number of people paying in while keeping the number taking money out at a constant. No one talks about this issue but it is absolutely one of the things in play in all of this.

Anyway, DADT is done and gone and while it will take a year or so to fully implement, I'm glad we are finally moving into a 21st century mentality here in the US.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-12-2010, 11:42 AM

it is unreal that so much time was wasted by our elected officials on such a simple matter of civil human rights, basic equality.... you know the concepts this nation was founded on.... its the bible thumpers that get elected that stand in the way of even the simplest progress that our nation tries to make... well here's a helpful hint... no jobs = no envelopes in the collection plate on sunday.... that might motivate them to start addressing the pressing issues at hand.
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2011, 12:05 AM

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
04-01-2011, 01:54 AM
I absolutely love Demotavational posters!
04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Well at least we're moving in the right direction as far as homosexual rights goes, after that Prop 8 rubbish a few years ago this is a pretty striking step forward. What baffles me is how often people need to be reminded that civil rights shouldn't be exclusive... In the last century we had to learn that women AND African Americans are people too! Wow! Now a third group crops up and we seem to have forgotten what we put people through.

But at least we're moving in the right direction.