Don't ask don't tell repealed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
RE: Don't ask don't tell repealed
Quote:In the last century we had to learn that women AND African Americans are people too!
And now we'll have to learn that black Americans are Americans, not African Americans. The 'African' sound like a paraphrase for 'black'. It's like calling white Americans 'European Americans'.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2011, 11:32 PM
(04-01-2011 02:05 PM)Kikko Wrote:  It's like calling white Americans 'European Americans'.

Well if you really want to get into it... I'm sure the aboriginal peoples of North America wouldn't have too much opposition in pointing out that we (assuming you're of European descent like I am) aren't exactly from around here...

05-01-2011, 06:37 AM

fact is we are ALL from planet earth... and if we keep hanging labels on each other it will only divide us further.
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2011 08:43 AM by Kikko.)
(04-01-2011 11:32 PM)Green Wrote:  
(04-01-2011 02:05 PM)Kikko Wrote:  It's like calling white Americans 'European Americans'.

Well if you really want to get into it... I'm sure the aboriginal peoples of North America wouldn't have too much opposition in pointing out that we (assuming you're of European descent like I am) aren't exactly from around here...

I'm of European descent, dunno from where but that could be found in my genes, but I've never ever been on your side of the puddle, although if it's possible to get there without having to fly I want to see the country with my own eyes at some part of my life.

So you're an American of European descent, which means that you are an American (assuming that you borned there and that you're an American citizen). Your descent was European, but you're American.

Lets assume that a Russian couple moves to America. The other one is black with African roots and the other one is white with Slavic roots. They get a child in America and raise him/her in America. The kid doesn't speak Russian, since his/her parents only taught him English and s/he has lived his/her whole life in America.
The kid is not a Slavic American, an African American nor an African Slavic American, but just an American.

No circumlocutions for skin colour.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
05-01-2011, 08:54 AM

(05-01-2011 08:39 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
(04-01-2011 11:32 PM)Green Wrote:  

I'm of European descent, dunno from where but that could be found in my genes, but I've never ever been on your side of the puddle, although if it's possible to get there without having to fly I want to see the country with my own eyes at some part of my life.

So you're an American of European descent, which means that you are an American (assuming that you borned there and that you're an American citizen). Your descent was European, but you're American.

Lets assume that a Russian couple moves to America. The other one is black with African roots and the other one is white with Slavic roots. They get a child in America and raise him/her in America. The kid doesn't speak Russian, since his/her parents only taught him English and s/he has lived his/her whole life in America.
The kid is not a Slavic American, an African American nor an African Slavic American, but just an American.

No circumlocutions for skin colour.

truth be told... if the origin of man is in fact true we are ALL Africans....that being said,there are black folks from the caribbean and west indies as well as other parts of the world that do not like the "all inclusive label" of african American.
political correctness is a bunch of bunk and pushed way too far. there is no right to not have your feelings hurt. we should all be free to speak our minds as others are free to judge us upon it....
05-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Glad that homosexuals are starting to gain more ground on rights. I can't believe that so many people are still voting against gay rights these days. It's the newest movement and I'm confident that this will change as we move forward.

DADT repeal is a good thing, but it's still going to cause a lot of problems because of the ignorance of the folks in the military. It really sucks, but so many of our forces are bible thumping conservatives from middle America who feel that the gays are evil and should be killed. I see a lot more mistreatment and friendly fire in the future unfortunately, so it's really hard to tell if this is a win or not.