'Don't ask stupid questions about sex'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2018, 06:32 AM
RE: 'Don't ask stupid questions about sex'
(16-05-2018 01:21 PM)Vera Wrote:  Oh yeah, Eastern European women are gorgeous and would do anything (and anyone) to get out of that hell hole. Drinking Beverage

[Image: melania-trump-kidney-surgery-z.jpg]
Melanija Knavs

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
18-05-2018, 08:49 AM
(17-05-2018 09:04 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(17-05-2018 08:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  cover their heads with a babushka.

Oh no you didn't! [Image: girl_devil.gif]

This is the one (well, there are more than one Rolleyes ) "word" that makes me want to poke my eyes out and/or strangle 'murricans with their own intestines. Not only is the Russian word pronounced bAbushka... but it means granny and nothing fucking else.

I swear, every time I hear it (seeing it written is marginally better) I have about a dozen microstrokes Angry

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/babushka

I knew a Russian-Jewish costume mistress who had been a hat maker on Broadway for one of the big Broadway costume houses. She taught me hat making when I was studying costume, anyway she called the scarfs babushka's but they were also both, a grandmother and a scarf. Sometimes the name of things get mashed into one thing.

Going off topic here but this is a "Sack back gown", it's also known as a "Watteau gown" after the artist who painted so many of them during the 18th century.

[Image: 122a3b2987d4983db8da2e0d1b268e49.jpg]

[Image: e2b5b8c30d20c32303611cc3dfe19362.jpg]

Costume pieces are all over the map when it comes to their names.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
18-05-2018, 08:57 AM
It is still a ridiculous (and ugly. And mispronounced) 'murrican abomination Tongue

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-05-2018, 11:50 AM
(18-05-2018 08:57 AM)Vera Wrote:  It is still a ridiculous (and ugly. And mispronounced) 'murrican abomination Tongue

Well, I'm not sure of the correct pronounciation. The Russian costume gal I knew seemed to pronounced it your way with the A. But my experience with clothing is that the same item can have a slightly different name even miles apart in geography. It's the hardest part of costume history because it's even further complicated by passage of time. In one century a particular style of sleeve might be called one thing but in the next century it's called something else even though it's basically the same style of sleeve. Then it get's more complicated by the translation of the various languages for that sleeve into English. I have a fabulous costume history book and the list of names for costume items goes on for pages and pages.

But anyway, if you want to refer a bAbuska as a grandmother far be it from me to stop you. Big Grin Granny it is then! Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-05-2018, 02:41 PM
I will. And will also start calling my trousers - my grampaws, my scarves - my stepuncles and my gloves - my cousins-thrice-removed Angel

Thing is, it never meant anything to do with clothes, that's (my) problem with (it also just sounds ugly in 'murrican).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user