Don't be silly, it wasn't god. Aliens did it.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 03:42 PM
RE: Don't be silly, it wasn't god. Aliens did it.
(13-02-2013 07:42 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(13-02-2013 07:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Considering the question is "aliens seeding earth with life" I would say that the question" where did the aliens come from" is completely irrelevant.

No it wouldn't explain where life came from, but it would explain where life on earth came from.

The relevance is in regards to evolution, this person believes all species are not related, but separate experiments with genes by aliens. They must be great at what they do, designing species so well suited to their environments... The aliens seeding life on earth scenario pictured here argues against evolution. So obviously I attempt to lead them to the realization that at some point in the past some natural process had to result in the formation of life from non-life, then the evolution of that life into complex and intelligent life forms.

Which leaves us no closer to an understanding of where life originated than having no explanation of where life began on earth at all.
This still blows my mind. Creation by Aliens?

That's where they will have a problem with fossils and the geological record.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2013, 04:19 PM
(14-02-2013 03:42 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(13-02-2013 07:42 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  The relevance is in regards to evolution, this person believes all species are not related, but separate experiments with genes by aliens. They must be great at what they do, designing species so well suited to their environments... The aliens seeding life on earth scenario pictured here argues against evolution. So obviously I attempt to lead them to the realization that at some point in the past some natural process had to result in the formation of life from non-life, then the evolution of that life into complex and intelligent life forms.

Which leaves us no closer to an understanding of where life originated than having no explanation of where life began on earth at all.
This still blows my mind. Creation by Aliens?

That's where they will have a problem with fossils and the geological record.
Scientology teaches along those lines claiming that an evil cosmic entity seeded our planet and that only Hubbard's system can "clear" us, by paying heaps to one of their practitioners.

As for the genesis of these or other higher beings, or any ethical value and the determining factors for such, we are still very much left in the dark.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
14-02-2013, 04:57 PM
(14-02-2013 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-02-2013 07:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Considering the question is "aliens seeding earth with life" I would say that the question" where did the aliens come from" is completely irrelevant.

No it wouldn't explain where life came from, but it would explain where life on earth came from.

And that explanation is as good as the Bible's explanation.

No explanation whatever.
Don't look at me, I'm not the one asking the wrong questions.

If we are only talking about life on earth then aliens seeding the earth (with say single cell organisms) is as good a guess as any other.
No other theory really explains it.
There's a theory that life came from Mars, that asteroids hit Mars sending life carring material through space and eventually landing on Earth. That doesn't explain how life got started on Mars.
There's another that life starts in comets. Comets are made up of ice and rock and also have a lot of activity, pressure and heat and all that, happening inside them AND they travel around the universe. It's thought life could start in these comets and then when the comet passes material from the tail of the comet (or the comet colliding with earth) could contain life which then finds its way to Earth. But this is unproven. And how do we know that comets aren't alien made devices to seed the universe? It sounds bazar, but can you say for 100% certainty that they're not? Nope.

The point is, we don't know where life came from.
It's nothing like a biblical answer, it's pure agnostic.

Quote:The relevance is in regards to evolution, this person believes all
species are not related, but separate experiments with genes by aliens.

Yea.. that person is just batshit crazy.
We do have evidence for evolution.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
14-02-2013, 05:37 PM
(14-02-2013 04:57 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  And that explanation is as good as the Bible's explanation.

No explanation whatever.
Don't look at me, I'm not the one asking the wrong questions.

If we are only talking about life on earth then aliens seeding the earth (with say single cell organisms) is as good a guess as any other.
No other theory really explains it.
There's a theory that life came from Mars, that asteroids hit Mars sending life carring material through space and eventually landing on Earth. That doesn't explain how life got started on Mars.
There's another that life starts in comets. Comets are made up of ice and rock and also have a lot of activity, pressure and heat and all that, happening inside them AND they travel around the universe. It's thought life could start in these comets and then when the comet passes material from the tail of the comet (or the comet colliding with earth) could contain life which then finds its way to Earth. But this is unproven. And how do we know that comets aren't alien made devices to seed the universe? It sounds bazar, but can you say for 100% certainty that they're not? Nope.

The point is, we don't know where life came from.
It's nothing like a biblical answer, it's pure agnostic.

Quote:The relevance is in regards to evolution, this person believes all
species are not related, but separate experiments with genes by aliens.

Yea.. that person is just batshit crazy.
We do have evidence for evolution.

There is nothing wrong with the question, it's purpose is to make the person think about the origins of the aliens that they think seeded the earth. Evolution as we know it must have occured at some point, whether all life on earth were experiments or not. Once they realize and accept this it isn't much of a stretch to make them realize evolution occurred on earth.

What would be your brilliant plan?

I'm trying to make this person realize that.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

14-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Noo, that's not the stupid question. The stupid question is "where did life on Earth come from"

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
14-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Don't be silly, it wasn't god. Aliens did it.
(13-02-2013 05:35 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  I know someone that believes earth was seeded with life by aliens. I have a little chat going on with this person on Facebook, I attached a photo of the conversation. Their apparent proof of this is the show 'Ancient Aliens'. One thing in piticular that this person says is that the big bang theory doesn't explain animals and dinosaurs. (Face-palm)

In the image, I am D, and the individual I was talking about is T. Not that I needed to tell you all that though, you would have caught on quickly.

Can you all see the attachment? Doesn't seem to be working for me, but then again neither do some other pictures in the forum.

To be honest, this person sounds far less interested in knowing facts and far more interested in believing he knows something you don't. He seems to be looking to feel superior to you.

Is there any reason this person might feel intellectually intimidated by you?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
14-02-2013, 07:55 PM
(14-02-2013 07:04 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(13-02-2013 05:35 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  I know someone that believes earth was seeded with life by aliens. I have a little chat going on with this person on Facebook, I attached a photo of the conversation. Their apparent proof of this is the show 'Ancient Aliens'. One thing in piticular that this person says is that the big bang theory doesn't explain animals and dinosaurs. (Face-palm)

In the image, I am D, and the individual I was talking about is T. Not that I needed to tell you all that though, you would have caught on quickly.

Can you all see the attachment? Doesn't seem to be working for me, but then again neither do some other pictures in the forum.

To be honest, this person sounds far less interested in knowing facts and far more interested in believing he knows something you don't. He seems to be looking to feel superior to you.

Is there any reason this person might feel intellectually intimidated by you?

Very accurate observation. This person (to me) typically seems like someone who likes to think they know more than everyone else, and that they are smarter than everyone else. "scientists? what the fuck do they know, it was aliens and I know this because of a documentary". Like, how ironic, inferring intelligence then having such a low standard of evidence.

This person probably feels intellectually intimidated by anyone that opposes their positions on anything.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

15-02-2013, 02:16 AM

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
20-02-2013, 11:24 PM
you guys got it all wrong. you see the aliens are actually us from the distant future. they travelled back in time and seeded earth with life. eventually we evolved and continue to evolve into little grey dudes with big heads who travelled back in time to seed earth with life. eventually we evolved......so on. the problem of abiogensis is solved. our existance is a paradox.. now where the hell is my nobel prize.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post