Don't know why I bother sometimes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2015, 04:29 PM
RE: Don't know why I bother sometimes
I never worked out but I stayed in pretty good shape hiking, climbing mountains, riding horses, hunting, etc. I did something that was hard physical work everyday. Then, about 20 years ago, post polio syndrome caught up with me and so did arthritis from broken bones. I've been bucked off a lot of horses and I've taken some bad falls mountain climbing. I've broken 32 bones in my 68 years and today, they all hurt. I wound up with stage 3 prostrate cancer a couple years ago and just when I thought I had that beaten, I got ulcerative colitis. That is the worst disease I've had and the drugs for treating it are horrible and terribly expensive. Then, a few months ago, we discovered I had diabetes. I get to give myself shots for the U.C. and shots for the diabetes and nothing seems to do much good. My wife is getting sick of me and I am getting damned tired of living. However, I look back on my life and I loved every mountain that I fell off and every horse that left me in the dirt. I wouldn't trade my life for anybody else's even though I am ready to be done with it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2015, 04:47 PM
(30-11-2015 04:29 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  However, I look back on my life and I loved every mountain that I fell off and every horse that left me in the dirt. I wouldn't trade my life for anybody else's even though I am ready to be done with it.

That’s some heavy shit there amigo. I’ve heard it say that getting old ain’t for pussies. Sad

As for me the more I try to stay in shape the more things I hurt. A comedian once said that you know you’re getting old when you hurt yourself while sleeping. I’m at that point now and I’m only 55. Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Hi GWG.
Mate your health issues are as important an issue as any other. It may not be cancer, but it is still a problem. Hospital staff treat the ill. That's it. There are different methods but in the end they deal with illness.

You have every reason to gripe. Getting older takes its toll. I used to be a pro drummer/martial artist. But things changed. It is what it is. One cannot turn back the clock.

All I can do is support you and hope you get through these issues. It may be wise to see a sports therapist as well because your workout habits may have to change and these people can help you.

No matter what, remember there are those here who support you. I see you as a guy who constantly tries to help people through your efforts in support of logic. This shows your character to me. Someone worthy of being cared about.

As everyone knows I have a thread devoted to my illness. It is long winded now and can seem whiney. Nevertheless when I am down people rally around.

See the doctors. Follow their advice and even visit the hospital. That's why it is there. Hell I went 7 times last week and was never turned away.

Good luck mate. I have the confidence in you that you will make it. D.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-11-2015, 05:03 PM
You're still a youngster, Full Circle. You've got a lot more injuries left in you from hard livin'. I was 63 when my young horse helped me fracture my skull. I've had so much trouble from that skull fracture -- I had to quit practicing law because my brain got so screwed up. Right after my skull healed, I bought a riding helmet and I won't get on a horse today without wearing that thing. I am a pussy. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
30-11-2015, 05:04 PM
(30-11-2015 04:29 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  However, I look back on my life and I loved every mountain that I fell off and every horse that left me in the dirt. I wouldn't trade my life for anybody else's even though I am ready to be done with it.

I have seen people die because of that attitude. Literally die.

NEVER be done with it. It is all you are and will ever be.

I'm fighting for my life. And it fucking hurts some days. Life is IMO worth fighting for.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
30-11-2015, 05:08 PM
(30-11-2015 04:29 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  and just when I thought I had that beaten, I got ulcerative colitis. That is the worst disease I've had and the drugs for treating it are horrible and terribly expensive.

What are you using, Asacol? Are you taking a fiber supplement?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-11-2015, 05:12 PM
I hate the American health system. It is just a disgrace!

Medicine should NOT be expensive. They sell bucketloads of the stuff.

Thinking of you too Black Eagle.

Banjo.
30-11-2015, 05:45 PM
(30-11-2015 04:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  As for me the more I try to stay in shape the more things I hurt. A comedian once said that you know you’re getting old when you hurt yourself while sleeping. I’m at that point now and I’m only 55. Weeping

I don't even mind that so much because I know I probably slept in an awkward position... a few weeks ago I was doing fine all day and in the evening I went to pick up a glass and my thumb felt like I had severely sprained it. It had been fine five minutes earlier and I was just sitting on the couch. I mean, what the actual fuck is that about? I had to immobilize it for a week before I could move it without pain and nothing at all happened to cause it. Intelligent design, my ass.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
30-11-2015, 05:50 PM
(30-11-2015 05:04 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

I have seen people die because of that attitude. Literally die.

NEVER be done with it. It is all you are and will ever be.

I'm fighting for my life. And it fucking hurts some days. Life is IMO worth fighting for.

Aging sucks in many ways but when I hear stories like the two of you I realize I really have nothing worth complaining about. I hope I can stay as positive if/when I'm faced with something of real consequence.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
30-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Shit unfogged. I hate to see you in pain as well.

GWG look at the thread you've started!

Meanie! Tongue

And again BE. I am with you even though I fight death. Currently I am aiming for 52. Then next xmas. Then 53...

My actual target at this point is 70. That'll give me 19 more years to watch my niece grow up. That'd be awesome!

Having recently spoken with doctors though it looks like it won't be that long. But I am gonna try!

Try with me. Please. Smile

Banjo.