Don't you want somebody to blame...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 08:18 PM
RE: Don't you want somebody to blame...
(22-04-2017 10:03 AM)Ricochet180 Wrote:  ... don't you need somebody to blame?
Wouldn't you love somebody to blame?
You'd better find somebody to ballllmmmeee...

Apologies to Grace Slick.

Regardless. As I'm packing up, my mind kind of wandered into some of the things I'd have been sure to have been told - and am, in part, expecting to hear at some point, given my current circumstances. I'm sure you know all the verses - "It's part of God's plan." "God is testing you." "He has to have a reason."

And while my first thoughts are just how ridiculous this is - God's plan itself is "unknowable," after all, which makes it fairly hard to believe in and which, back when I was a Christian, was one of those shaky foundations (what possible part of some eternal plan would require this part of my life to suck?) I realized - probably "again," honestly - it's not "faith in some plan" that makes this part of religion so alluring.

It's having someone to *blame.* Without having to go look for someone with a beard or strange hats. And most of all without having to look *at yourself and your actions.*

You get to put off your responsibility and searching for what you may have done wrong (I should have budgeted better, maybe finding a different place would have been ideal, I shouldn't do XYZ) to someone who can't argue the blame. It's nothing you did - it's God's fault, God's plan. There'll be something good at the end..

Just keep doing what you're doing, go with it, surrender to "God's plan" and it'll work out. Never mind that it won't. It's a hell of a balm, and a way to stay blind and "comforted," somehow.

(And the followup that, when it doesn't... well, the church will be there for you, of course. Did you bring your tithe?)

Yeah I do, but I am not a liberal so I have only me to blame. I am atheists so there is only me too.

But yeah, liberals and fundy's blame anybody they can. Real or imagined.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Facepalm

[Image: Bugs_Bunny_MaroonAN.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
22-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Just blame [Insert current U.S Presidents name here].

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
23-04-2017, 12:39 AM
Yup, I see religion being similar to alcohol. It's a way of stepping back from reality. Relinquishing control for comfort. And when taken seriously, it's just as dangerous. When you really believe some magical fairy is interacting with the world, this can seriously impact your judgement.

And of course, if everything you do is part of some plan, then indeed... it's not your fault, right? How convenient. This only consistently leads to things like Calvinism in my mind, because it negates free will. I find it the most honest version, and the most scary by the same token. It's the natural conclusion of these silly ideas.

I wondered recently if ancient man was confused about "feeling judged" even when alone. There's no one here! Why do I feel bad about what I just did? There must be some other thing judging me. Just a guess. Religion often tries to explain morality using magic rather than the readily available and logical scientific explanations.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2017, 04:19 AM
[Image: 01-daily-dependence-mark-twain-scapegoat...;amp;h=272]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
23-04-2017, 05:28 AM
(22-04-2017 09:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Just blame [Insert current U.S Presidents name here].

Yeah, I sometimes wonder whether we use our presidents as scapegoats to blame for our own lack of useful efforts. They are not superheroes.
23-04-2017, 05:50 AM
(23-04-2017 04:19 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
[Image: 01-daily-dependence-mark-twain-scapegoat...;amp;h=272]

Idea: 9
Execution: 2

[Image: AB7FMcn.gif]

Sin is an inherently religious, inherently flawed and inherently vile concept. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
23-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Don't you want somebody to blame...
God is just blankie under which scared sheep hide. It's easier to point to sky daddy plan than examine one own deficiences.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.