Donald Trump Time Magazine Person Of The Year

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-12-2016, 08:39 AM
RE: Donald Trump Time Magazine Person Of The Year
(08-12-2016 08:37 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I have to wonder if he doesn't get his fool ass impeached and convicted within his first month. Laugh out load

The Republicans are salivating at the thought.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2016, 08:41 AM
(08-12-2016 08:27 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 07:26 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The democrats are out of luck for a generation.

I'm predicting that Trump will be such a disaster even for the people that voted for him that 2018 elections will be better for Democrats than is currently being predicted. Generation indeed. Drinking Beverage

You misunderstood my point. Obviously democrats will win the presidency again. Hell, they could win in 2020. They might even retake the senate in the next 6-8 years. But the damage at the supreme court has been done. Trump will stack the deck with conservatives that will give them a 6-3 or 7-2 majority for 30+ years.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
08-12-2016, 08:44 AM
(07-12-2016 06:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 06:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  The union boss of Carrier was just on TV - I didn't catch all the numbers but apparently Trump lied. 550 people showed up thinking they would still have jobs but - no, their jobs are going to Mexico. Probably there will be news with the actual numbers soon....

800 jobs (730 factory, 70 salaried, the 1100 number included 350 R&D positions which were never slated to move in the first place) in Indianapolis saved (until next year when robots replace them), 553 still going to lovely Monterrey (Mexico not Cali), all 700 jobs in Carrier Huntington, IN plant still gone, parent company announced upcoming layoffs. Sounds like great news for Carrier employees. Who could ask for a better deal?

This is too complicated for a typical Trump supporter though.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
08-12-2016, 08:44 AM
(08-12-2016 08:36 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 08:27 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I'm predicting that Trump will be such a disaster even for the people that voted for him that 2018 elections will be better for Democrats than is currently being predicted. Generation indeed. Drinking Beverage

I'm less concerned with who's in the Oval Office than I am with the number of hyper-Conservative SCOTUS Justices he'll appoint, and the laws the now-GOP-dominated legislature passes, knowing it will be signed by President Trump.

I also agree that it will be a disaster... but how do you un-ass this fuckup, once those people have that much power for four years?

You're about to watch congress explode from total inactivity into a flurry of bill-passing. The Dems, except for a token few who will really fight, will make noise but won't really stand up to it too much because they're in the same deep pockets ($$$) as their colleagues across the aisle.

And despite all the talk, our infrastructure and manufacturing bases will continue to erode due to globalization (I'm not sure that can be stopped any more than climate change, at this point), as congress keeps passing bills that let international corporations continue to profit from the decline of the US. Like the allegorical frog in the slow-heating kettle, we've been slowly adjusting to the corruption... and now they are free to turn up the heat.

Even if we switch it off at the next available opportunity, we may already be cooked.

Unfortunately, I must agree. The judges are going to sit in our craw for a long time. And so far the population is complacent, too. I find it very scary and am glad I am old. If I was much younger, I would fight. (not physically). I hope the young and middle aged take this as seriously as it is. The best strategy now would be to let the republicans know that they are dealing with strong resistance. I don't see it happening. It makes me very sad - a life time of fighting for progress and more humane conditions is swirling down the toilet. Glad hubby doesn't have to watch this.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-12-2016, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 08:58 AM by GirlyMan.)
(08-12-2016 07:26 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You see, the constitution is now open to interpretation.

Not according to strict constructionists. You know, that thing that most Republicans claim to be.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-12-2016, 08:56 AM
(08-12-2016 08:27 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I'm predicting that Trump will be such a disaster even for the people that voted for him that 2018 elections will be better for Democrats than is currently being predicted. Generation indeed. Drinking Beverage

I'm less concerned with who's in the Oval Office than I am with the number of hyper-Conservative SCOTUS Justices he'll appoint, and the laws the now-GOP-dominated legislature passes, knowing it will be signed by President Trump.

I also agree that it will be a disaster... but how do you un-ass this fuckup, once those people have that much power for four years?

You're about to watch congress explode from total inactivity into a flurry of bill-passing. The Dems, except for a token few who will really fight, will make noise but won't really stand up to it too much because they're in the same deep pockets ($$$) as their colleagues across the aisle.

And despite all the talk, our infrastructure and manufacturing bases will continue to erode due to globalization (I'm not sure that can be stopped any more than climate change, at this point), as congress keeps passing bills that let international corporations continue to profit from the decline of the US. Like the allegorical frog in the slow-heating kettle, we've been slowly adjusting to the corruption... and now they are free to turn up the heat.

Even if we switch it off at the next available opportunity, we may already be cooked.
Yes, that's true about the Justices. My point was mainly that the reign may be for 2 years, not 4. If the control of the House, Senate, or both can be shifted to Democrats, then Trump's hands may be tied. If we're lucky, maybe Trump will only have appointed the one Justice by then. As for the rest, I have little doubt there will be a lot of damage even in 2 years. However, that much has happened before even if it took longer. We can recover from that.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
08-12-2016, 08:58 AM
(08-12-2016 08:44 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 06:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  800 jobs (730 factory, 70 salaried, the 1100 number included 350 R&D positions which were never slated to move in the first place) in Indianapolis saved (until next year when robots replace them), 553 still going to lovely Monterrey (Mexico not Cali), all 700 jobs in Carrier Huntington, IN plant still gone, parent company announced upcoming layoffs. Sounds like great news for Carrier employees. Who could ask for a better deal?

This is too complicated for a typical Trump supporter though.

Fair point.

#sigh
08-12-2016, 09:15 AM
(07-12-2016 05:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  You have to look at the bigger picture. (1) Those 1000 people already have their jobs, and are already paying those taxes, so that's not going to change.
Those 1000 people would have lost their jobs if this deal hadn't been negotiated. Isn't that the whole point? They would have been out of a job and dependent on government welfare.

(07-12-2016 05:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  (2) 1000 or so other people are still going to lose their jobs, so any taxes that they would have paid are going away.
Yes, and without this deal, it would have been 2000 people.

(07-12-2016 05:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  (3) The company will be paying less tax.
And yet the overall tax revenue for the state will increase because only 1000 people, rather than the planned 2000 people, will be dependent on the state for survival.

(07-12-2016 05:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Overall, that is a big shortfall compared to the present situation.
It's not an ideal outcome for sure, but it's better than the alternative outcome in which all of those people would have ended up becoming unemployed.

(07-12-2016 05:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  In addition to that, (4) Those 1000 jobs are being "saved" for now. Trends being what they are, the odds are that those will go away anyway within a few years. This is a band-aid at best.
That's certainly possible, but this year has shown that conventional wisdom isn't always right. We'll see in a few years.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-12-2016, 09:19 AM

I'm less concerned with who's in the Oval Office than I am with the number of hyper-Conservative SCOTUS Justices he'll appoint, ...

I'm worried about this too, but not as much as I was right after the election. As GirlyMan pointed out, the Democrats can filibuster any really egregious appointments. As long as Trump/Pence are doing the appointing, we're not going to get a liberal, but hyperconservatives will be eternally filibustered. To get someone confirmed, they're going to have to go with moderate conservatives. The court will still have a conservative majority, but it won't be far-right nut jobs.
08-12-2016, 09:28 AM
(08-12-2016 08:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 08:36 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm less concerned with who's in the Oval Office than I am with the number of hyper-Conservative SCOTUS Justices he'll appoint, and the laws the now-GOP-dominated legislature passes, knowing it will be signed by President Trump.

Unfortunately, I must agree. The judges are going to sit in our craw for a long time.

Hypothetically, that's what suspicious and coincidental yachting accidents are for. Hypothetically.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.