Donald Trump Time Magazine Person Of The Year

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-12-2016, 09:31 AM
RE: Donald Trump Time Magazine Person Of The Year
(08-12-2016 09:19 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  As long as Trump/Pence are doing the appointing, we're not going to get a liberal, but hyperconservatives will be eternally filibustered.

I have no confidence that will happen.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2016, 09:55 AM
(07-12-2016 05:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  Explain to me why carrier would make that deal.
Well, from what I've read, it's because Trump threatened Carrier's parent company with denying them future federal contracts which are no doubt more lucrative than whatever enterprise they had planned in Mexico. Would you believe that even Cenk Uygur, the host of one of the most biased liberal networks, someone who passionately hates Trump, credited him for this particular move? The collective failure of posters here to acknowledge such positives beautifully demonstrates how much of a liberal echo chamber this forum is.

(08-12-2016 08:44 AM)tomilay Wrote:  This is too complicated for a typical Trump supporter though.
It's that arrogance and hubris, that borderline superiority complex, that played a part in Trump's victory. It's time to stop demonizing your fellow countrymen and realize that his average supporter isn't a racist, isn't a sexist, isn't a homophobe or whatever buzzword you want to throw at their head. Take a look at the demographics of this year's voters and you'll find that Trump won with college-educated whites, that he won with white women and that he won more black and Hispanic votes than any Republican in recent history. I find it hard to blame the forgotten voters in the Rust Belt for choosing to vote for Trump, the guy who promised to bring back and expand the manufacturing sector in the U.S., rather than the woman who wants to put her husband, the man who is directly responsible for much of the massive outsourcing to Mexico by passing NAFTA, in charge of the economy.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
08-12-2016, 10:05 AM
(08-12-2016 09:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 05:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  Explain to me why carrier would make that deal.
Well, from what I've read, it's because Trump threatened Carrier's parent company with denying them future federal contracts which are no doubt more lucrative than whatever enterprise they had planned in Mexico. Would you believe that even Cenk Uygur, the host of one of the most biased liberal networks, someone who passionately hates Trump, credited him for this particular move? The collective failure of posters here to acknowledge such positives beautifully demonstrates how much of a liberal echo chamber this forum is.

I think you overstate the case there. I don't read only this forum, and I don't read only liberal media (as I mentioned on another thread, I recently subscribed to the very conservative National Review, specifically to avoid the "echo chamber" effect). But most of what I've heard/read about this deal supports the view that it is nothing but a temporary smoke screen to make Trump and Pence look good to those who don't bother to look at the big picture. In a few years, all those jobs are going to be gone anyway, and this "deal" will do nothing at all to slow or reverse the overall trend. It's not just Mexico -- it's automation as well. The days of low-skill, high-paying jobs are over. It's a brave new world. Trump can promise to change that until he's blue in the face, but it's all lies, because there's nothing he can do about it. It's happening, and will continue happening.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
08-12-2016, 10:10 AM
(08-12-2016 09:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The collective failure of posters here to acknowledge such positives beautifully demonstrates how much of a liberal echo chamber this forum is.

But he got Linda McMahon to head the SBA. Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
08-12-2016, 10:17 AM
Well, from what I've read, it's because Trump threatened Carrier's parent company with denying them future federal contracts which are no doubt more lucrative than whatever enterprise they had planned in Mexico.

That is what I think, too.

He's not going to have that kind of leverage over every company that is still maintaining out-of-date factories in the states. There is no foresight in doing this - what is needed is vocational training, training in robotics and funding for innovation. All these factory and coal jobs are going away soon enough. The workers have no skills that are useful in this society anymore.

And about illegal Mexicans - every business that depends on them (mostly agriculture's back breaking jobs) needs to be able to get permits to hire guest workers during the season. Most want to go home after the season anyway to be with family and to recoup from the horrible work, and they can come back for a season's work the year after. This is widely how it works now anyway, minus the permits.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
08-12-2016, 10:26 AM
(08-12-2016 08:44 AM)tomilay Wrote:  This is too complicated for a typical Trump supporter though.
It's that arrogance and hubris, that borderline superiority complex, ...

It's a joke you humorless Kraut.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Automation is stupid. Outsourcing jobs to foreign countries is stupid. Once every company is fully automated or every job is in another country, there won't be any Americans with money to buy the stupid products they're making. If you push every American out of the workforce you are left with zero customers.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
08-12-2016, 10:28 AM
(08-12-2016 10:26 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Automation is stupid. Outsourcing jobs to foreign countries is stupid. Once every company is fully automated or every job is in another country, there won't be any Americans with money to buy the stupid products they're making. If you push every American out of the workforce you are left with zero customers.

Trying to stop the exponential advances in technology is not only stupid it's futile.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-12-2016, 10:33 AM
(08-12-2016 10:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 10:26 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Automation is stupid. Outsourcing jobs to foreign countries is stupid. Once every company is fully automated or every job is in another country, there won't be any Americans with money to buy the stupid products they're making. If you push every American out of the workforce you are left with zero customers.

Trying to stop the exponential advances in technology is not only stupid it's futile.

Don't feed the tourists. Drinking Beverage

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
08-12-2016, 10:34 AM
(08-12-2016 10:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

At what cost? Going out of business because nobody can afford your products? It will only get worse. It's going to be a long time before none of us have to work. I can envision a future where robots do EVERYTHING. They even create and fix other robots. No human will have to work and we will all just sit back and relax. But until that happens, automation will screw over the working man. As more companies do it, that leaves less people with money to buy the shit they sell.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]