Donald Trump alludes to shooting Hillary Clinton

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2016, 12:23 AM
RE: Donald Trump alludes to shooting Hillary Clinton
(10-08-2016 10:47 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No one compentent and intelligent would use Trump's tactics. A glance at the poll-dive he's experienced over the last two weeks would demonstrate why. Inflammatory rhetoric inviting foreign countries to spy on America, inviting someone to shoot his opponent, is not intelligent, and dumb though the average American voter might be, the stench of bullshit can penetrate even the thickest skull.

If he *hadn't* mis-stepped though, if he'd for example been nice to that vet who criticised him, said something like "thank you for your son's service, I respect that, of course I haven't sacrificed anything, but I appreciate the world that your son fought for"... and if he *hadn't* had the stupidity to invite the Russians over to party... what then? He'd still be even with Hillary is my bet. He did mis-step but it was a small one - fatal mind you - a demagogue who doesn't do that might well succeed.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-08-2016, 02:07 AM
(11-08-2016 12:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  This kind of trick is routinely used by the dickhead political crowd. They get the message out to their supporters while hiding behind the notion that it was just a joke.

When I was a kid, say, fourth grade, "I was just joking" was a fine defense of stupid words I'd uttered.

Trump is seventy. He doesn't have the excuse of youth. That he has to spin so many outbursts speaks ill of his abilityto think before he opens his trap.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-08-2016, 02:20 AM
(11-08-2016 12:23 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 10:47 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No one compentent and intelligent would use Trump's tactics. A glance at the poll-dive he's experienced over the last two weeks would demonstrate why. Inflammatory rhetoric inviting foreign countries to spy on America, inviting someone to shoot his opponent, is not intelligent, and dumb though the average American voter might be, the stench of bullshit can penetrate even the thickest skull.

If he *hadn't* mis-stepped though, if he'd for example been nice to that vet who criticised him, said something like "thank you for your son's service, I respect that, of course I haven't sacrificed anything, but I appreciate the world that your son fought for"... and if he *hadn't* had the stupidity to invite the Russians over to party... what then? He'd still be even with Hillary is my bet. He did mis-step but it was a small one - fatal mind you - a demagogue who doesn't do that might well succeed.

His mouth would have led him astray on another subject -- most likely less dangerous than taking on a Gold Star family, but still damaging.

As a veteran myself, I still keep in mind how he skipped the Iowa debates so that he could allegedly raise funds for veterans, only to do little but brag about how he helped veterans ... he claimed to have raised $6 million, but donated less than half that. That sort of shit irks me, the same that Clinton trotting out a Gold Star family irks me.

Politicians, no matter the party, need to stop using veterans as cudgels and credibility-points. If you weren't putting your ass on the line, shut the fuck up, y'know?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
11-08-2016, 02:34 AM
(11-08-2016 02:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Politicians, no matter the party, need to stop using veterans as cudgels and credibility-points. If you weren't putting your ass on the line, shut the fuck up, y'know?

Politics is dirty. Using the Gold Star family worked for Clinton. It's not fighting fair, but there's no fair fighting. Also... Gold Star family strikes me as somewhat of a demeaning appelation, no matter that it's supposed to be not. "Oh, your son died in the war. Here, have a Gold Star™".

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-08-2016, 03:35 AM
Well, the appellation isn't taken that way here. While the government (through its military branches) applies that label, on the ground here, GS families are honored not for government imprimatur, but rather, solaced by those in the know for their loss. Living in Texas, I know a few, and they don't have a star in their windows.

"Gold Star Family" is shorthand for "a family who lost a member fighting for the country". Your own reading aside, it isn't demeaning, nor is it a prideful award. That the military formally recognizes the sacrifice is not a matter of mollifying the family, nor granting it greater status. The term is simply acknowledging the sacrifice to those left behind.

I don't know one Gold Star family who preferred the star over their loved one, and I don't know one of them who felt that the gesture was obnoxious.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-08-2016, 04:00 AM
(11-08-2016 03:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't know one Gold Star family who preferred the star over their loved one, and I don't know one of them who felt that the gesture was obnoxious.

Fair enough... It's just something that kinda grated on me since I first heard the term. And of course they wouldn't prefer the star, that's kinda... why I find the practice horrible in the first place.

11-08-2016, 04:52 AM
It's interesting you say Clinton "used" the Khans. I sort of agree. I think the Khans had something to say and the Democrats were happy to give them the opportunity. But, I also think they knew there was a likely chance Trump would react and dig a hole for himself. It's not their fault he did, but they certainly baited him.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-08-2016, 06:42 AM
(11-08-2016 04:52 AM)BnW Wrote:  It's interesting you say Clinton "used" the Khans. I sort of agree. I think the Khans had something to say and the Democrats were happy to give them the opportunity. But, I also think they knew there was a likely chance Trump would react and dig a hole for himself. It's not their fault he did, but they certainly baited him.

He failed hard there. Of course they were used (IMO) - probably happy to be used but... used none the less. I mean. It's not like your son dying usually engenders an urge to berate the republican candidate for not having sacrificed stuff.

11-08-2016, 07:10 AM
(11-08-2016 04:52 AM)BnW Wrote:  It's interesting you say Clinton "used" the Khans. I sort of agree. I think the Khans had something to say and the Democrats were happy to give them the opportunity. But, I also think they knew there was a likely chance Trump would react and dig a hole for himself. It's not their fault he did, but they certainly baited him.

I don't think bait is really necessary there....Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-08-2016, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 11:45 AM by skyking.)
(11-08-2016 04:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 03:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't know one Gold Star family who preferred the star over their loved one, and I don't know one of them who felt that the gesture was obnoxious.

Fair enough... It's just something that kinda grated on me since I first heard the term. And of course they wouldn't prefer the star, that's kinda... why I find the practice horrible in the first place.

That feeling you get strikes to the heart of Thump's earlier posts.
1) If you did not sacrifice, shut the fuck up.
It is not how the government looks for using the term, or the families affected.
To me it is how it gets bandied about and traded like currency by politicians and the media. It cheapens the thought. Dilutes whatever is good with something icky.
[+] 5 users Like skyking's post