Donald Trump and the Transformation of White Evangelicals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Donald Trump and the Transformation of White Evangelicals
The Donald Trump phenomenon continues to expose some surprising attributes.

Quote:Perhaps the most dramatic example of the shift in white evangelical political ethics is the way in which white evangelicals have evaluated the personal character of public officials. In 2011 and again just ahead of the election, PRRI asked Americans whether a political leader who committed an immoral act in his or her private life could nonetheless behave ethically and fulfill their duties in their public life. Back in 2011, consistent with the “values voter” brand’s insistence on the importance of personal character, only 30% of white evangelical Protestants agreed with this statement. But this year, 72% of white evangelicals now say they believe a candidate can build a kind of moral wall between his private and public life. In a shocking reversal, white evangelicals have gone from being the least likely to the most likely group to agree that a candidate’s personal immorality has no bearing on his performance in public office. Today, in fact, they are more likely than Americans who claim no religious affiliation at all to say such a moral bifurcation is possible.
http://time.com/4577752/donald-trump-tra...d=tcoshare

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
20-11-2016, 01:32 PM
RE: Donald Trump and the Transformation of White Evangelicals
That was an excellent article, tomilay. It answered many questions I had regarding trump.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-11-2016, 01:41 PM
(20-11-2016 01:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That was an excellent article, tomilay. It answered many questions I had regarding trump.

The lesson I take away from this? Evangelist ideals were mere cover for whatever they stood for, as long as it worked and they got what they wanted. By 2012, the viability of that approach was tenuous at best. "Values" could no longer be relied upon to align with the ideal outcome - they might even have become inimical to the ideal outcome.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
20-11-2016, 02:00 PM
(20-11-2016 01:41 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 01:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That was an excellent article, tomilay. It answered many questions I had regarding trump.

The lesson I take away from this? Evangelist ideals were mere cover for whatever they stood for, as long as it worked and they got what they wanted. By 2012, the viability of that approach was tenuous at best. "Values" could no longer be relied upon to align with the ideal outcome - they might even have become inimical to the ideal outcome.

Evangelicals are still, of course, still against same sex marriage and many of the other issues that are in the news. One thing they couldn't hook Obama with was immorality. Obama seems to have a happy marriage, has been faithful to his wife with no history of groping women so they couldn't use the immorality card on him the way they did with Bill Clinton. I'm sure that aspect of Obama frustrated them. no end.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post