Donald Trump nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2016, 08:56 PM
RE: Donald Trump nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
(04-02-2016 12:30 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 04:53 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  You know, I voted for Obama, and I still like him, but I also agree with you on this. For the life of me, I can't think what he ever did to deserve a Nobel Peace prize (especially at the time they awarded it to him).
I feel the same way about this announcement. I like Trump, but I have to agree with everyone else here that this choice is ridiculous because he really hasn't done anything to deserve a Nobel Peace Prize at this point. If he ends up becoming president and if ISIS is defeated under his rule and if the Middle East becomes more peaceful due to his policies - maybe then they can consider nominating him for the Nobel Peace Prize. Until then, they should give it to someone who actually deserves it. Tongue

Watchoo smokin', dude? Trump would have as much control over the ME as the last 30 years worth of US Presidents and the people living there do- none. They've been killing each other for millennia. There isn't a fucking thing short of a neutron bomb that would stop the killing and internecine warfare there. ISIL is a popcorn fart in a whirlwind in the ME. Their day is coming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2016, 09:28 PM
(03-02-2016 09:43 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Since nominating Hitler....

Time magazine's 1938 Man of the year.

What a joke.

They gave a peace prize to Obama who drone bombs everyone. The entire thing is contemptible.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
04-02-2016, 11:24 PM
(04-02-2016 09:28 PM)Banjo Wrote:  The entire thing is contemptible.

I think it cheapens the whole prestige of the award. Nobel prize for Physics for example is the pinnacle of achievement in that field, but Obama as a recipient of the peace prize? What were they thinking? It makes everyone think "Oh, OK, it's just another stupid medal that people pin on your chest." Nobel is supposed to be only for very very very very exceptional achievement.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
04-02-2016, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2016 11:58 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(04-02-2016 11:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 09:28 PM)Banjo Wrote:  The entire thing is contemptible.

I think it cheapens the whole prestige of the award. Nobel prize for Physics for example is the pinnacle of achievement in that field, but Obama as a recipient of the peace prize? What were they thinking? It makes everyone think "Oh, OK, it's just another stupid medal that people pin on your chest." Nobel is supposed to be only for very very very very exceptional achievement.

They fucked that up before Obama, when they gave one to Mother Teresa.

Also, Henry Kissinger and Woodrow Wilson.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-02-2016, 11:56 PM
(04-02-2016 11:54 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  I think it cheapens the whole prestige of the award. Nobel prize for Physics for example is the pinnacle of achievement in that field, but Obama as a recipient of the peace prize? What were they thinking? It makes everyone think "Oh, OK, it's just another stupid medal that people pin on your chest." Nobel is supposed to be only for very very very very exceptional achievement.

True.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
05-02-2016, 12:31 AM
(04-02-2016 11:54 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  I think it cheapens the whole prestige of the award. Nobel prize for Physics for example is the pinnacle of achievement in that field, but Obama as a recipient of the peace prize? What were they thinking? It makes everyone think "Oh, OK, it's just another stupid medal that people pin on your chest." Nobel is supposed to be only for very very very very exceptional achievement.

I dunno. I think there's def an argument for Kissinger and Theresa - controversial choices but I don't really have a problem with that, an award like that is always gonna court controversy - Mandela got it, and some people still think he was a terrorist. Haven't the foggiest clue who Wilson was. But for Obama there's not even a reason to give it to him. What the fuck did they put in the citation?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-02-2016, 12:37 AM
Bugs Bunny should get one.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-02-2016, 12:58 AM
(05-02-2016 12:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:54 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  They fucked that up before Obama, when they gave one to Mother Teresa.

I dunno. I think there's def an argument for Kissinger and Theresa - controversial choices but I don't really have a problem with that, an award like that is always gonna court controversy - Mandela got it, and some people still think he was a terrorist. Haven't the foggiest clue who Wilson was. But for Obama there's not even a reason to give it to him. What the fuck did they put in the citation?

I can see Kissinger, if only because of the nature of realpolitik in the Cold War. Woodrow Wilson was the President of the US during the first World War and did push for the formation of the UN's precursor, the League of Nations. However he was also an incredible racist who undid decades of progress by re-segregating the federal government and military. Ever heard about the film 'Birth of a Nation'?

The novel “The Clansman” by Thomas Dixon – a longtime political supporter, friend and former classmate of Wilson’s at Johns Hopkins University – was published in 1905. A decade later, with Wilson in the White House, cinematographer D.W. Griffith produced a motion picture version of the book, titled “Birth of a Nation.”

With quotations from Wilson’s scholarly writings in its subtitles, the silent film denounced the Reconstruction period in the South when blacks briefly held elective office in several states. It hailed the rise of the Ku Klux Klan as a sign of southern white society’s recovery from the humiliation and suffering to which the federal government and the northern “carpetbaggers” had subjected it after its defeat in the Civil War. The film depicted African-Americans (most played by white actors in blackface) as uncouth, uncivilized rabble.

While the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People publicly denounced the movie’s blatant appeals to racial prejudice, the president organized a private screening of his friend’s film in the White House for the members of his cabinet and their families. “It is like writing history with lightning,” Wilson observed, “and my only regret is that it is all so terribly true.”

http://www.bu.edu/professorvoices/2013/0...ow-wilson/

Oh, and Mother Teresa used her Nobel Prize acceptance speech to rail against abortion and contraception, while her missionaries denied people painkillers because she thought suffering brought them closer to Jesus. They basically watched people die in pain, when they weren't giving them syphilis by reusing dirty medical equipment; even when fresh and clean supplies (like medical gloves) were available. She was a fucking sadist, and ironically enough, most likely lost her faith in her last years; if her journal entries are anything to go by.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-02-2016, 01:44 AM
(05-02-2016 12:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Oh, and Mother Teresa used her Nobel Prize acceptance speech to rail against abortion and contraception, while her missionaries denied people painkillers because she thought suffering brought them closer to Jesus. They basically watched people die in pain, when they weren't giving them syphilis by reusing dirty medical equipment; even when fresh and clean supplies (like medical gloves) were available. She was a fucking sadist, and ironically enough, most likely lost her faith in her last years; if her journal entries are anything to go by.

I read up about her on Wikipedia, all I can really tell from that is that she's controversial and has had serious allegations against her, but her hospices and the general principles on which they run seemed pretty straightforward. In any case I'm not defending her, just saying that her choice as a prize winner *at the time* is understandable - prize committees also are human and depending which side they took in the controversy would have voted accordingly. Same with Wilson - the committee at the time might have been right bang up alongside his racism (I don't know that though, but it's different time, different standard that he was held to).

05-02-2016, 04:11 AM
Donald Trump nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
I think Trump should get it. He will bring peace and stability to the world. Well, after the initial bombings.