Donald the Draft Dodger

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2016, 02:28 PM
RE: Donald the Draft Dodger
(04-08-2016 01:40 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 01:23 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Or it showed that he did it himself rather than coming from family money.

I knew people who did it. The medical exam wasn't so thorough, so repeat Dx'd for bone spurs is totally possible. All it really takes is one doctor to dx and the subsequent ones are more likely to just follow suit.

That's just a rinse and repeat kind of thing.

Certain circles knew what to do or say before you showed up for your medical exam -- doctors as the war dragged on would often help.

But you're right, family involvement would have meant a better dx and full deferment. Like a lawyer I once knew, his family paid off a doctor the day he showed up for his physical. Said he had a heart murmur or something.

No other doctor ever found one before or after.

He was annoyed at the time, he said, since he was willing to serve.

Yeah. I wanted to get back to dancing. No bone spur was going to stop me. Bone spurs are just calcium deposit and happen around the teens and early twenties. They fade away after a couple of years. I just wanted mine gone quicker.

Both my brothers were strong strapping young men when they were called in for the draft. One of my brothers actually went in for the military examination and in front of him, in the line, was a guy who was totally underweight, sick and anemic looking. My brother thought for sure they'd reject him but they didn't. He knew then he was toast. He got his notice a week later to show up for duty and that's when he took his motorcycle for a nice long drive......up to Canada. My other brother was right behind him on another motorcycle. They split up and went through different border crossings. There's quite a story they tell of them crossing the border into Canada.

Excellent point, if Trump truly wanted to serve he would have gotten those bone spurs shaved or just joined a different branch who didn't care.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2016, 02:34 PM
(04-08-2016 02:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 01:40 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yeah. I wanted to get back to dancing. No bone spur was going to stop me. Bone spurs are just calcium deposit and happen around the teens and early twenties. They fade away after a couple of years. I just wanted mine gone quicker.

Both my brothers were strong strapping young men when they were called in for the draft. One of my brothers actually went in for the military examination and in front of him, in the line, was a guy who was totally underweight, sick and anemic looking. My brother thought for sure they'd reject him but they didn't. He knew then he was toast. He got his notice a week later to show up for duty and that's when he took his motorcycle for a nice long drive......up to Canada. My other brother was right behind him on another motorcycle. They split up and went through different border crossings. There's quite a story they tell of them crossing the border into Canada.

Excellent point, if Trump truly wanted to serve he would have gotten those bone spurs shaved or just joined a different branch who didn't care.

My best friend's older brother tried to enlist (a couple years after the draft) and was turned down by the Army. He had been in a fight and was stabbed near his heart. The Army wouldn't take him because of that. But the Marines were like - you survived that - you are Marine material, sign right here.

So, yeah, all the branches have had different standards for years both physically and intellectually.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-08-2016, 03:04 PM
(04-08-2016 02:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 02:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Excellent point, if Trump truly wanted to serve he would have gotten those bone spurs shaved or just joined a different branch who didn't care.

My best friend's older brother tried to enlist (a couple years after the draft) and was turned down by the Army. He had been in a fight and was stabbed near his heart. The Army wouldn't take him because of that. But the Marines were like - you survived that - you are Marine material, sign right here.

So, yeah, all the branches have had different standards for years both physically and intellectually.

My old boss was in the Navy during Nam. When it came to reenlist he said "Only if I get river boat." They said no. He said "See ya." He told me he was thinking of the Potomac not the Mekong. Years later, he got kicked out of Apocalypse Now because he couldn't stop laughing.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
04-08-2016, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 03:51 PM by Commonsensei.)
Would Trumps little fingers be able to reach the guns trigger? They probable would have just turned him away.

[Image: donald-trump-small-hands1.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
04-08-2016, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 11:57 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
My stepdad was a recon Marine, '65-'66 in-country, and suffered a hell of a lot for it -- 20 years later we were still jumping up at night when his dreams would hit him. 81-man company, Bob was one of two who came back unscathed. All his other brethren were injured or killed ... 79/81. He was not tough, he was fucking lucky.

Even he had understanding for those who skipped out on the draft, so long as they didn't portray themselves as warhawks afterwards.

I won't criticize those who refused the draft, so long as they don't now plump for kids to go and die when they refused to do that themselves. It was a shitty war (what war isn't?), in a shitty place, with shittty leadership. So long as you don't trumpet your sacrifices, hey, I'm cool. We all have different views and even as a veteran myself, I've got no heartburn about someone opting out of a war they didn't start and wanted no part of.

Trump sacrificed dollars, others sacrificed blood. The latter cannot speak anymore, the former should certainly shut the fuck up.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-08-2016, 12:14 AM
My dad was in WWII in the Pacific. He was classic PTSD and an alcoholic, and I asked him to speak at my high school history class. I was so naive, I had no idea how bad it was going to be.
He lost it but basically said that the one thing he would never do is vote to send us young people to war. He had truly been there and done that.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
05-08-2016, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 08:48 AM by Nurse.)
My grandfather, the son of a sharecropper, got a deferment - my grandmother had my mom and twin sister. They were poor as fuck.

I tried to join the Navy a few years ago as a nurse. I wanted to go work trauma and use it as a way to pay for CRNA school. Hell, I'd still go if they'd take me. I tried to get an exemption and they wouldn't do it. I have food allergies - including a peanut allergy. It's one thing if I were out on the battlefield eating MREs, but I wouldn't be, and would have access to IV Benadryl, steroids, and epi. They sometimes will take trauma nurses and docs along on special ops missions, but I'm a woman. I also have a history of migraines (stopped as soon as I had the Mirena IUD removed).

When Operation Desert Fox went down, I remember my mother saying we were moving to Canada if it turned into a war with a draft. My brother was a senior in high school. He said, "Mom, if it comes down to it, if I have to go I'll go. I'm not going to Canada. But you worry too much, a draft isn't going to happen." I look at boys in high school, at my own son, and the thought of a draft and sending young men unwillingly to a war they oppose... The Vietnam War was an atrocity I don't hold against the young men who went nor found a way not to go. The boys weren't the ones making the calls, they were sacrificial pawns and it's sickening what happened to an entire generation.

I've taken care of a lot of homeless veterans that we as a country have failed.

I wish I had more time to gather my thoughts for finishing this thought..and hadn't pressed send. Ah well. Basically, not my place to judge.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
05-08-2016, 11:34 AM
(04-08-2016 12:36 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  This thread stinks of bullshit.

Please show proof Donald Trump dodged the draft.

Donald Trump never violated the Selective Service Act, nor was he among the 200,000 men charged with a crime for not showing up.

Like 5-10 million other men enrolled in college at the time, he was given a deferment. When he was no longer in college, he had to go down to the processing station like every other guy and get a medical inspection. He was never given a full medical disqualification. He could have still been drafted in an emergency. He was basically put at the back of the list due to the foot problem.

You're obviously a Drumpf fanboy LOL.

It's not a matter of breaking any laws; it's more a matter of morals and personal ethics. Do you really want a bloke who—for the prime purpose of avoiding his military duty—"manufactured" not one, but two convenient heel spurs as your next Commander in Chief of the US armed forces?

According to Drumpf’s own camp, the reason for his fifth and final military deferment was because of "bone spurs" on the heels of both feet—which resulted in a "minor medical deferment". But the "bone spurs" explanation is highly dubious when it's considered that Drumpf was known as a talented athlete who played on his prep school’s varsity football, soccer and baseball teams. According to the International Business Times, quoting a 1990 profile of him in USA Today, when it came to sports Drumpf was a star who "won trophies in intramural softball, basketball, softball, bowling and freshman football".

—And yet two years later he was purportedly crippled by heel spurs? Bullshit. Not only is the man a hypocritical coward, he's also an inveterate liar.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
05-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Quote:inveterate liar.
I saw that and Freud turned it into
Invertebrate Liar
Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post