Donating to friends who are aspiring Christian Missionaries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Donating to friends who are aspiring Christian Missionaries
(13-07-2013 09:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 08:52 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yet if it weren't for their hard work, we wouldn't have the missionary position. Angel

You make an apologetic argument. Drinking Beverage

I'm sorry. :sadface:

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2013, 10:31 AM
RE: Donating to friends who are aspiring Christian Missionaries
I would definitely find a way not to donate. Can't imagine supporting that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-07-2013, 11:09 AM
If they know you are an atheist they would be disobeying the Bible if they ask you for money. The Bible teaches that those to spread the gospel are to be supported only by those who are already believers. If they do ask you for money I suggest that you show them this verse:

Quote:For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles.
(3 John 1:7 ESV)

I am a Christian and I believe in doing all I can to persuade others to be saved but I would never ask anyone who isn't already a Christian to help support what I do.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
13-07-2013, 11:15 AM
There are plenty of secular charities...if you are inclined to make donations select one of those and let your friends know that you have a charity that you support.

It seems like you feel obligated but you shouldn't. You should give because you want to.

I know it has to be hard to say no.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
13-07-2013, 08:42 PM
(13-07-2013 11:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  There are plenty of secular charities...if you are inclined to make donations select one of those and let your friends know that you have a charity that you support.

It seems like you feel obligated but you shouldn't. You should give because you want to.

I know it has to be hard to say no.

You could also make a donation to secular charity- doing similar work- in their name. So if their goal is to save starving children-you can help them do that, but with a group that you feel is best suited for the task and you do it in their honor.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
13-07-2013, 10:23 PM
I like the suggestion of donating to a different charity that does similar work. It gives me a more graceful way of declining to support them.

In the end I think I've decided I will donate a small amount to them. They're going to go whether I give or not, and a small gift is at least a way to acknowledge their friendship and that this is something important to them.

But it's encouraging to know I'm not the only person put off by donating to these sorts of organizations and endeavours. I'm mostly surrounded by Christians still, so it can be difficult to know if I'm making too big a deal out of something or not. I tried once explaining to a Christian why proselytizing to people in vulnerable circumstances is objectionable - needless to say it was not the most productive conversation. Confused
13-07-2013, 10:26 PM
(13-07-2013 11:09 AM)theophilus Wrote:  If they know you are an atheist they would be disobeying the Bible if they ask you for money. The Bible teaches that those to spread the gospel are to be supported only by those who are already believers. If they do ask you for money I suggest that you show them this verse:

Quote:For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles.
(3 John 1:7 ESV)

I am a Christian and I believe in doing all I can to persuade others to be saved but I would never ask anyone who isn't already a Christian to help support what I do.

Wow. I have never heard a Christian say that before. I doubt this would fly with them though. Their theology would tell them to take anything 'the world' is willing to give them and use it for 'The Glory of God'.

Still, it's an interesting thought - I've never thought to take 3rd John as giving an injunction against accepting support from unbelievers.
14-07-2013, 04:22 AM
(13-07-2013 10:23 PM)angalpin Wrote:  I like the suggestion of donating to a different charity that does similar work. It gives me a more graceful way of declining to support them.

In the end I think I've decided I will donate a small amount to them. They're going to go whether I give or not, and a small gift is at least a way to acknowledge their friendship and that this is something important to them.

But it's encouraging to know I'm not the only person put off by donating to these sorts of organizations and endeavours. I'm mostly surrounded by Christians still, so it can be difficult to know if I'm making too big a deal out of something or not. I tried once explaining to a Christian why proselytizing to people in vulnerable circumstances is objectionable - needless to say it was not the most productive conversation. Confused

You might ask them how they would feel if you requested they donate to The Thinking Atheist. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-07-2013, 03:44 PM
(13-07-2013 10:23 PM)angalpin Wrote:  But it's encouraging to know I'm not the only person put off by donating to these sorts of organizations and endeavours. I'm mostly surrounded by Christians still, so it can be difficult to know if I'm making too big a deal out of something or not.

Pffft, you don't need us to know if you're reaction is a valid one. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
15-07-2013, 10:48 AM
I never have and never will donate to any organization that pushes their religious beliefs on anyone. I know of a group who digs wells in Africa but the price is listening to the dogma. The missionaries may see it as the conversion to Christianity whereas the people see it as survival in harsh conditions. I think money is better spent when donated to Doctors Without Borders.