Donating to religiously-based charity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Donating to religiously-based charity
I had some medical equipment to give away (a wheelchair and crutches) but the local Red Cross, an organization that loans these things to low-income residents, didn't want them. They suggested I call the Compassionate Warehouse. I'd never heard of them but I went to the appointed location and they were happy to have them. I was about to drop some cash in their donation jar but I'd seen nothing to indicate who was running the show so I asked. One of the volunteers told me a bit about what they do and gave me a little card. Only the address told me that I was dealing with a religion-based charity. It's run by the Church of the Nazarene but there seemed to be no attempt to advertise that fact, which on the face of it looks good. It seems that they really are more about helping people than simply spreading their religion. I wanted to look more deeply though so I didn't donate further.

I'm not regretting my donation at all! I'm just wondering how other non-believers deal with the issue of donation and whether you only donate to secular charities or are ok with donating to the religious if they do good work.

If anyone knows anything about the Church of the Nazarene and the Nazarene Compassionate Ministries that would be helpful too Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2013, 01:28 PM
RE: Donating to religiously-based charity
http://theweek.com/article/index/229796/...-flare-ups
http://www.bilerico.com/2011/11/why_you_...y_bell.php
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/25...13358.html

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
27-07-2013, 02:05 PM
I donate my time and some food to a church which sometimes provides shelter for people without homes. I know that *this* church does not proselytize or preach to its guests. In as far as they do good without also doing harm, I have no problem supporting them.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
27-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I've donated to and bought things from a nice thrift store that is run buy ladies from about five different churches in one town. All that I care is that I've gotten some really good deals there and that the money goes to people in need.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
27-07-2013, 07:29 PM
I dont donate to religious charities.

There are many secular charities out there.
27-07-2013, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2013 08:38 PM by Anjele.)
For durable medical stuff, we gave my dad's to the local American Legion. They have kind of a lending closet. We also donated a lot of his clothes.
Edited - Those guys were so helpful in helping to take care of dad, getting him to appointments, mowing his lawn, just sitting with him, great bunch of men!

There are a lot of secular charities with just as much need. I donate clothes to a domestic abuse shelter.

That said, if you have things to donate what's most important is that people in need get them so I am not totally against giving to religious organization if they have a good, preferably local cause.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I tried to give locally but nobody wanted it. Oh well, it's a wealthy area, I'm sure that if there's a shortage of wheelchairs that someone with money will step up to the plate! I'm happy if anyone in need, anywhere in the world, can get some use out of it.

As for secular charities, they are few and far between. I just try to give where I can, even if that means donating out of town. If anything, religion seems to be growing in this part of the world, and there was a recent case of a church fighting the location of an aid organization near his church because it would mean there would be homeless people and addicts around. He didn't want them to scare away the more respectable members.
28-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Check veterans groups. The have people who are older and in need of such things as well as younger who have been injured.
American Legion, VFW, ect.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
28-07-2013, 06:26 PM
I donate to secular charities first, but I have nothing against donations to religious charities as long as they help everyone and don't spend money on the wrong things. I've heard about some terrible charities that discriminate against homosexuals and non-Christians (ie. not allowing lesbians with kids to stay at a shelter, and not providing employment services to non-Christians), and that use donations for causes detrimental to human rights (ie. Salvation Army and it's anti-gay campaigns).

There's also the problem of charity executives receiving absurd salaries in the hundreds of thousands to millions (religious or not), so you should be aware of how much executives are paid. Don't donate to charities that waste 20% of their revenue on some dickbag's yacht fund.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
28-07-2013, 07:28 PM
(27-07-2013 08:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  For durable medical stuff, we gave my dad's to the local American Legion. They have kind of a lending closet. We also donated a lot of his clothes.
Edited - Those guys were so helpful in helping to take care of dad, getting him to appointments, mowing his lawn, just sitting with him, great bunch of men!

There are a lot of secular charities with just as much need. I donate clothes to a domestic abuse shelter.

That said, if you have things to donate what's most important is that people in need get them so I am not totally against giving to religious organization if they have a good, preferably local cause.

I volunteer to do military funerals for fallen sailors. The American legion often times have representatives there, volunteers who are vets to help with the ceremony. Many of them are a Chaplains, but they are all good people. Let me tell you, it is not easy looking into the eyes of a young widow and handing her a flag. They do great work.

I will not volunteer to help or contribute to religious organization. I will go out of my way to help secular organizations though. It would be really great if there was a specific non-religious organization as well, but there are no national, or international ones that I am aware of. That's my two bits.