Doomsday claims first victims

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 07:54 AM
RE: Doomsday claims first victims
(20-12-2012 07:49 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 05:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  As the child, I'd want to be taken out.
The desire for life is too strong. I'm not sure everyone, esp. someone who has barely had a chance to live yet, would agree that no life is better than life with trauma. We are a species of survivors and can overcome a lot (not saying anyone should have to overcome such a thing, just saying that many would still choose life).

I said "I" would want to be taken out.

Different people have different strengths of survival instincts. Just like all instincts are present in varying degrees in a population. Personally, I want a good life (whatever "I" define as a good life) or none at all. Other opinions may differ. Other definitions of a good life may differ.

People need to learn not to impose their personal views/feelings onto others.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-12-2012, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2012 08:36 AM by Vera.)
(20-12-2012 07:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 07:49 AM)Vera Wrote:  The desire for life is too strong. I'm not sure everyone, esp. someone who has barely had a chance to live yet, would agree that no life is better than life with trauma. We are a species of survivors and can overcome a lot (not saying anyone should have to overcome such a thing, just saying that many would still choose life).

I said "I" would want to be taken out.

Different people have different strengths of survival instincts. Just like all instincts are present in varying degrees in a population. Personally, I want a good life (whatever "I" define as a good life) or none at all. Other opinions may differ. Other definitions of a good life may differ.

My bad.

Will now leave in utter shame and remorse to flagellate myself and learn not to impose my feelings on anyone.
[Image: BEUJWpAsxUcKs-Se2bgg8KD21vaXIebWcmdLOqQ4...7T9NIA=s39]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
20-12-2012, 08:40 AM
(20-12-2012 07:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  My bad.

Will now leave in utter shame and remorse to flagellate myself and learn not to impose my feelings on anyone.
Pfff. I guess it doesn't hurt to dream.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-12-2012, 09:19 AM
(20-12-2012 07:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 07:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  I said "I" would want to be taken out.

My bad.

Heart It's all good. Big Grin

Self flagellation - now I do have a strong instinct against that one. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-12-2012, 09:21 AM
(20-12-2012 08:40 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Pfff. I guess it doesn't hurt to dream.
Take a number.

(20-12-2012 09:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  Heart It's all good. Big Grin

Self flagellation - now I do have a strong instinct against that one. Smile
You and me both. I may be an emotional masochist, but physical pain - nah...

Seriously though - I wasn't trying to say you're wrong or something. Just to point out that we are a tough little species. In general Smile

20-12-2012, 10:04 AM
(20-12-2012 06:29 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 11:02 PM)Janus Wrote:  'Christian Science Monitor':
Chinese Man Who Stabbed 23 Children Was Inspired By Mayan Doomsday Rumors, Authorities Claim

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Paci...sday-rumor

That's one way to fulfill a prophecy.

Ah, proof positive that you don't need automatic weapons to kill over 20 kids.

As a general statement that's correct, of course. Except that in this particular case, not one of the stabbed children died.

The gun lobby is fond of saying, "Guns don't kill people, people do." It'd be more accurate to say, "People kill people with guns, and guns make it easy for people to kill people."

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
20-12-2012, 10:38 AM
(20-12-2012 07:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 07:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  I said "I" would want to be taken out.

My bad.

I'm kind of that way as well, but I think it would have been a different story for me earlier in life. I think when I was younger, I had a stronger - almost vengeful - will to survive anything at all costs.

When I look back now on insanely dangerous things I did as a kid, I had no fear of death ... it was fear of getting in trouble with Mom that kept me alive... I knew I'd be in deep shit if I turned up dead.

Now... meh, I've done my share of living - if someone wanted to take me out, I'd probably instinctively put up a fight but... I'm ok with giving up the bod. Suffering doesn't compare to living it up -perspective changes and I'm now more about quality of life than ever before.

Don't know, though... I'll have to see when/if that newer perspective is challenged. I think I'm still pretty feisty. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-12-2012, 10:56 AM
(20-12-2012 07:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  Will now leave in utter shame and remorse to flagellate myself and learn not to impose my feelings on anyone.

[Image: misc-ohhh-yes.png]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
20-12-2012, 10:58 AM
(20-12-2012 07:49 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 05:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  As the child, I'd want to be taken out.
The desire for life is too strong. I'm not sure everyone, esp. someone who has barely had a chance to live yet, would agree that no life is better than life with trauma. We are a species of survivors and can overcome a lot (not saying anyone should have to overcome such a thing, just saying that many would still choose life).
I agree with Vera. I think wanting to be taken out is the minority. A vast minority. Lots of children get injured or mutilated or even born with defects, and they live their lives the best they can. Not suicidal, not wishing they were dead. It seems that the kids who actually live with mutilations prefer to continue living rather than end it all, so I doubt many of them would agree that they should have been killed rather than mutilated.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
20-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Et tu, Vosur?
Way too many people here gunning for me. Perhaps it's time to pack up and go. Maybe even run like hell... Consider