Doomsday prediction or uncomfortable fact

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2011, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2011 02:45 AM by gaglamesh731.)
Doomsday prediction or uncomfortable fact
A recent report from the "Institution of mechanical engineers" in the UK has said that a population boom will place the total human cap on planet earth at 9 billion by 2100 and 75% will live in urban environments.

The report was picked up by the Daily Mail in the UK and by Jurnalul National(the national journal) in my country.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Here is the report :
http://www.imeche.org/knowledge/themes/e...Population
My thoughts are that a religious encouragement to breed is a very dangerous idea putting pressure on already scarce resources. The doctrine was favorable during the Bronze age when most infants died before age 1 but now it is harmful.

Policies such as "1 child " upheld in China are against basic human rights.Yet the very right to reproduce is being taken to extremes - to the detriment of living standards of large families and humanity as a whole.

I'm at a loss to be honest Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2011, 06:56 AM

RE: Doomsday prediction or uncomfortable fact
they seriously need to put a 1 child law everywhere in the world.. and then bump it up to 2 when the population goes under 5billion.. thankfully I wont be alive when the world becomes even more fucked up, and thankfully I haven't brought any children into the world to experience it
Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2011, 07:02 AM

According to a study (by Dawkins I believe?) Atheist couples on average have 1.7 children. Religious people have more babies because God tells them too (as well as not using birth control.) We need more secular people!
17-01-2011, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2011 08:29 AM by Kikko.)
The longer it takes from women to get to the life situation in which they'll decide to get kids, the less kids they'll have. If a woman studies 'till her 20's, then gets a job and a house (creates a stable basis for the child to grow up), then starts to get kids between the ages 25-35, she'll probably get much less kids than somewhone who starts to get kids when 18-25.

I don't think 1child policy would break human rights too much, but some people would still get more kids than 1. They would have to raise the extra kids underground, since if there would be no punishment for breaking the policy and the extra kids would get the same rights as the first one, it wouldn't be a real law since there wouldn't be a consiquense for breaking it.
I can't come up with a humain punishment for breaking the 1 child law.
Quote:According to a study (by Dawkins I believe?) Atheist couples on average have 1.7 children. Religious people have more babies because God tells them too (as well as not using birth control.) We need more secular people!
The study shows that it is because they are atheists?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
17-01-2011, 08:30 AM

I don't know much about it, but there is a 1 child policy in China or something where you are fined for having more than one child... and apparently it has prevented 250million children from being born since 2000.... but I hear some people in china are absolute sexist freaks and end up murdering their baby daughters because they want a boy instead...I'm hoping this wouldn't happen in different parts of the world like the UK, US and Europe..

The sad thing is I bet there would be people who are against a 1 child policy as they think it is against human rights... but they completely disregard the living conditions their children - grandchildren and so on will live in because of overpopulation... they are only thinking about themselves.. They wouldn't care if their grandchildren ended up starving to death through lack of food or something.. just as long as they can pop out some babies and make themselves happy
17-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Wow, just wow! I can't even believe some here would endores a 1 child restriction. To me that is just beyond wrong. Now more to the topic I DO think there is a huge issue (at least in the US) in that there is very little insentive to NOT have children. In fact in some instances it can be argued that having kids is some women's career! I realize that it's cruel to punish innocent children for their parent's carelessness/irresponsibility, but it's equally as cruel to reward it. If women continue to be irresponsible and have children when they cannot afford to do so then those children need to be taken from them by the state and the parents need to made to provide what support they can (to their detriment) to the state (just like dead beat dads are). Condom and birth control pill companies should be lobbying HARD for this. I'm convinced that MANY of the problems in this world are due to the WRONG people procreating not procreation itself.
17-01-2011, 09:42 AM

(17-01-2011 08:58 AM)Dregs Wrote:  Wow, just wow! I can't even believe some here would endores a 1 child restriction. To me that is just beyond wrong.

sometimes drastic action must be taken to prevent future suffering and I think people only being able to give birth to one child(I would leave adoption to have more than 1 child exempt from this law) is a lot better than many other things that could be done.. I think people would be fine with it after a while... I've never heard people complaining about bigamy being illegal... people just accept it as a normal part of life
17-01-2011, 10:34 AM
http://in.reuters.com/article/idINIndia-51746120100926

A Reuters article stating that China may ease on its policy.

(17-01-2011 08:19 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:According to a study (by Dawkins I believe?) Atheist couples on average have 1.7 children. Religious people have more babies because God tells them too (as well as not using birth control.) We need more secular people!
The study shows that it is because they are atheists?

Atheists don't have a bronze age textbook telling them to breed like rabbits.
Most religions had such rules - which made sense AT the current time.
Eating shellfish was a bad idea when no one understood the human digestive system and bacteria.
Having plenty of kids was a good idea when most infants died before 1 and modern medicine was non-existent.
Nowadays most sensible people have 1 or two children they can take proper care of.
Religious people still breed like crazy based on doctrine and dogma.

Also , Bill gates made a presentation about vaccines reducing world population.
STOP - before you start the conspiracy alarm let me explain.
Most people in third world countries have up to 5 kids , the same way you have spare tires.
They expect some kids to die due to lack of medicine - proper healthcare (i.e vaccines) could ween them of this habit and improve living standards.
17-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Oh I'm a BIG proponent for Drastic action! However when I look at this particular problem I see a pletrhora of potential drastic actions that could take place prior to this one being necesary. Not to metion that in general rational inteligent human couples will just naturally stop procreating in the 1-4 child range, and even that number is generally based on their owned perceived mental and physical means. If we simply adressed the ill coceived pregnancies in the US or possible the world we'd drastically stem the growth, and as a byproduct give those children a potentially better future outlook. Even in the wild the weak don't breed, but the strong breed over and over. Limiting births for all across the board is not only a bad plan, but could be catastrophic for the race IMHO that is.
(17-01-2011 10:34 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Also , Bill gates made a presentation about vaccines reducing world population.
STOP - before you start the conspiracy alarm let me explain.
Most people in third world countries have up to 5 kids , the same way you have spare tires.
They expect some kids to die due to lack of medicine - proper healthcare (i.e vaccines) could ween them of this habit and improve living standards.

Big Catch-22 there because so many of their healthcare problems stem from over population to begin with. If there were less people in third world contries the healthcare being provided could do so much more good. The over population proble I think actually deters people from even wanting to help because it doesn't seem they can do the simplest bit to help themselves. Whereas you're saying the lack of help actually makes them have more children due to Mortality. Catch-22 big time!
17-01-2011, 11:11 AM

I think the biggest problem is teenage pregnancies... does nobody teach sex education to teens anymore? Confused