Doomsday prediction or uncomfortable fact

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2011, 05:07 AM
RE: Doomsday prediction or uncomfortable fact
lol - adam and eve incest - I wish religious people realize that is what they are advocating
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Some YECs believe that incest was fone the but now it isn't because god made it change some time ago. They will never get it. Huh

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
23-01-2011, 03:19 AM
They NEVER do - they can never accept they are wrong.
23-01-2011, 08:19 AM
(21-01-2011 02:39 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  You can thank me later. Cool
Just... don't donate sperm... Tongue

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
23-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Sorry to be joining late to the discussion, but I would like to expand upon some ideas that have only been touched upon in this thread:

Education, education, and more education.

Firstly, pre-teens everywhere need to be better educated about sex and its consequences. The US has the highest teen pregnancy rate out of all the developed countries, and that is because abstinence-only programs are being pushed by religious conservatives. These programs continue to exist, regardless of the fact that there is a strong correlation between sex-ed and lower rates of teen pregnancy.

Secondly, there should be additions made to these sex-ed programs that emphasise sustainability. Educate pre-teens and teens about the world population problems, and encourage them to think about these problems before popping out six kids. I'm sure if people were more aware of the consequences, they would be less inclined to have more children than are sustainable by the planet, and perhaps they may even opt to adopt instead (though there are always going to be those who ignore all facts and continue on breeding like rabbits o.0).

Finally, and I think somebody already touched upon this, but I'll state it anyway, women globally need to be better educated. Not only will this give women more power and control over their bodies, but it will in most cases postpone the age at which women start to have children, thus decreasing the amount that they can have during their lifetime.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
23-01-2011, 07:54 PM
(23-01-2011 04:04 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I'm sure if people were more aware of the consequences, they would be less inclined to have more children than are sustainable by the planet, and perhaps they may even opt to adopt instead (though there are always going to be those who ignore all facts and continue on breeding like rabbits o.0).

The religious who think the rapture and the end days are upon us will say, "Why bother, this is the last generation anyway?"

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
24-01-2011, 07:06 AM

(23-01-2011 04:04 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Not only will this give women more power and control over their bodies, but it will in most cases postpone the age at which women start to have children, thus decreasing the amount that they can have during their lifetime.

True, but women shouldn't wait too long before having children, past the mid 30s (or 40s, or whatever it is) there is higher risk for birth abnormalities. To me having one "special needs" child is much more of a burden on society then 3 normal children. It's all common sense really, people shouldn't be having children when before they are 20 (due of religious ideas) and also not too late in life either. And men should be taking responsibility aswell- if they have an extra horny wife after having 2 children perhaps they should consider getting a vasectomy.
Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2011, 12:35 PM
(17-01-2011 07:02 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  According to a study (by Dawkins I believe?) Atheist couples on average have 1.7 children. Religious people have more babies because God tells them too (as well as not using birth control.) We need more secular people!

I'm doing my part! I have 2 kids. Although, I've only recently realized I'm an atheist so I'll have to work to undo all the mystical crap I've been teaching them.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
29-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I have never seen a couple who has 1.7 children. Tongue

30-01-2011, 01:00 AM
(29-01-2011 05:15 PM)No J. Wrote:  I have never seen a couple who has 1.7 children. Tongue

Siamese twins ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin