Doomsday prediction or uncomfortable fact

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2011, 12:30 PM
RE: Doomsday prediction or uncomfortable fact
Never thought of that. Tongue The math would be subject to uncertainty. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I've been telling religious and environuts the same thing. We'll kill ourselves off without any help from anyone and the planet will be just fine.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
30-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I am not against environuts. They want the world to remain as pristine as possible, which is good for us because this the enviorment that shaped our evolution. Changing the enviroment could be extremely bad FOR US.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
30-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I don't like environuts because they make the green movement look bad in the eyes of people and the oil interests are quick to exploit this.
I am especially against anarho-primitivists. I like technology , and want to preserve it . I don't deny we need to change technology to protect the environment but abndon it ... NO.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
31-01-2011, 01:13 AM

i have reached a sort of zen disregard for the sanctity of humans vs other species so this will probably come off as callous but:

Once i stopped thinking of protecting humans as especially important i came to the conclusion that humans areas much a part of nature as every other species. that almost sounds environmentalist doesnt it? well what it actually means is that, to me, any suggestion that technology, or pollution, or destruction is against nature is false. all of these things are part of nature because they exist. once you realise that industrialisation and waste are a part of nature in any environment that contains modern humans as anthills are a part of nature in any environment that contains ants, then we see that it just means that rapid pollution and deforestation will simply go the way of yeast in a brewery, or any other life form that, by its nature, changes its environment to one it cannot live in.

(For those who dont know, non-distilled alcohols have an upper limit of ~15% alcohol because at that point the yeast begin to die of alcohol poisoning.)

So all this talk of nature being better strikes me as false and flawed because my philosophy is pretty clear on the precept that anything done by a human is also natural.

Now the good news. Unlike yeast we can recognise that our actions are going to make living conditions unfavourable to us in the near future. To continue on as we are and kill ourselves off would be natural. But to see what we are doing wrong and take steps to not die would also be natural. BUT, one of these options would be inherently better for me, ie the one where i get to continue to live a good life, that i can enjoy without ash in my lungs. so i'm going to go with that, and support anyone else that wants to help that idea come to fruition.
Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2011, 05:28 AM
That's actually the best point I've heard on the topic.
May I borrow the yeast example for debates ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
31-01-2011, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2011 02:45 PM by No J..)
(31-01-2011 01:13 AM)DoE Wrote:  (For those who dont know, non-distilled alcohols have an upper limit of ~15% alcohol because at that point the yeast begin to die of alcohol poisoning.)

This describes one of earths earlies mass extinctions. The tiny organisms that produced the original oxygen couldn't live in the oxygen rich environment that they created.

I guess they gave their lives so we could live. Tongue
________________________________________________________________________________​_____

I like technology, too. I just want it much less polluting. You are right about environuts. I mistook them for serious evironmentalists for a second. OOOPs. Angry This guy is supposed to be embarrassed, not angry.