Door to door theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Door to door theist
Just moments ago i was vacuuming the family room, when I heard the dog bark. Someone was ringing the doorbell, so I removed my apron and peered outside. A very polite, much older, sharply dressed man with well-manicured hands, using a cane had come to my door. He wanted to invite me to 'truth' convention. (Now I should also explain its a tad warm outside and this man was dressed in wool suit, so I offered him a glass of water before hearing his whole talk -- which he thanked me for and declined).

I politely explained, mirroring his warm smile, that I was atheist -- everyone in this house was, actually.

He said he's met many who didn't believe in 'truth' because they were confused and didn't understand...

I remained smiling, tilting my head to one side, explaining that was a common falicy. The man looked genuinely surprised by my declaration -- his eyes widened a bit, and his head went back ever-so-slightly.

I handed him back his information, wished him a good day and softly closed the door.

I don't know which 'truth' he was representing, could have been Mormon or JW, both it seems farm our area heavily.

I know since this older gentleman with the nice hands seemed actually a bit eager to discuss his beliefs, I missed an opportunity for a face to face debate, but I do have many things to do.

But really, I'd rather him walk away thinking, "what a polite sinner."

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-06-2013, 04:21 PM
RE: Door to door theist
You are a better person than I am.

The last to come to my door showed up between my cancer diagnosis and my mastectomies. I went 20 shades of bitch on them and I don't care. I wanted them to explain to me why I should start praying to and worshiping the same entity that gave me cancer (per their beliefs). The response of it being some mysterious plan just infuriated me further. I am sure they blamed it on my being sick AND godless.

I figure that if the day were ever to come around that I felt like I needed a church I could find one...there are plenty of them around.

Prior to that I had been pretty nice to those peddling God door-to-door.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.

Just because her eyes don't tear doesn't mean her heart doesn't cry. Just because she comes off strong doesn't mean there's nothing wrong.
16-06-2013, 04:23 PM
(16-06-2013 04:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just moments ago i was vacuuming the family room, when I heard the dog bark. Someone was ringing the doorbell, so I removed my apron and peered outside. A very polite, much older, sharply dressed man with well-manicured hands, using a cane had come to my door. He wanted to invite me to 'truth' convention. (Now I should also explain its a tad warm outside and this man was dressed in wool suit, so I offered him a glass of water before hearing his whole talk -- which he thanked me for and declined).

I politely explained, mirroring his warm smile, that I was atheist -- everyone in this house was, actually.

He said he's met many who didn't believe in 'truth' because they were confused and didn't understand...

I remained smiling, tilting my head to one side, explaining that was a common falicy. The man looked genuinely surprised by my declaration -- his eyes widened a bit, and his head went back ever-so-slightly.

I handed him back his information, wished him a good day and softly closed the door.

I don't know which 'truth' he was representing, could have been Mormon or JW, both it seems farm our area heavily.

I know since this older gentleman with the nice hands seemed actually a bit eager to discuss his beliefs, I missed an opportunity for a face to face debate, but I do have many things to do.

Did you shoo fly him?Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
16-06-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm not nice to them. It's summer, the bell will ring, the dog will flip out and tear my house to shreds until I get up and yell at them to get off my porch.

I am trying to think of a snappy one liner for the children they always drag with them. I figure I get one shot to send a message to their kids to "poison" their little, precious minds.....what should it be? Go to science class!! or Your parents are brainwashed!! Run!!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
16-06-2013, 04:27 PM
(16-06-2013 04:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just moments ago i was vacuuming the family room, when I heard the dog bark. Someone was ringing the doorbell, so I removed my apron and peered outside. A very polite, much older, sharply dressed man with well-manicured hands, using a cane had come to my door. He wanted to invite me to 'truth' convention. (Now I should also explain its a tad warm outside and this man was dressed in wool suit, so I offered him a glass of water before hearing his whole talk -- which he thanked me for and declined).

You are so pleasant Mom!
My wife says I'm not allowed to answer the door. Angel
Go figure. Evil_monster

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
16-06-2013, 04:33 PM
(16-06-2013 04:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You are a better person than I am.

The last to come to my door showed up between my cancer diagnosis and my mastectomies. I went 20 shades of bitch on them and I don't care. I wanted them to explain to me why I should start praying to and worshiping the same entity that gave me cancer (per their beliefs). The response of it being some mysterious plan just infuriated me further. I am sure they blamed it on my being sick AND godless.

I figure that if the day were ever to come around that I felt like I needed a church I could find one...there are plenty of them around.

Prior to that I had been pretty nice to those peddling God door-to-door.

I don't blame you a bit! Hug

16-06-2013, 04:52 PM
(16-06-2013 04:23 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  

Did you shoo fly him?Drinking Beverage

Big Grin if he became rude, or obnoxious, I surely would have!! Thumbsup

16-06-2013, 04:59 PM
(16-06-2013 04:25 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I'm not nice to them. It's summer, the bell will ring, the dog will flip out and tear my house to shreds until I get up and yell at them to get off my porch.

I am trying to think of a snappy one liner for the children they always drag with them. I figure I get one shot to send a message to their kids to "poison" their little, precious minds.....what should it be? Go to science class!! or Your parents are brainwashed!! Run!!

I like run! Stranger Danger! Big Grin

16-06-2013, 05:02 PM
(16-06-2013 04:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

You are so pleasant Mom!
My wife says I'm not allowed to answer the door. Angel
Go figure. Evil_monster

Funny, my husband prefers that I don't answer the door!

16-06-2013, 05:20 PM
(16-06-2013 04:25 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  It's summer, the bell will ring, the dog will flip out and tear my house to shreds until I get up and yell at them to get off my porch.

Wife's got a pack of like a dozen or so fucking Beagle HellHounds. Think it's mainly the Adventists that come here 'cause their World HQ is right down the street and shit. But I dunno, 'cause the pack of atheist fucking HellHounds scare them off before I even get to the door. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post