Doorbell rings on a Saturday morning ...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Doorbell rings on a Saturday morning ...
Who could that be? Yep, a little old lady with a cane, a pamphlet and some bad advice just rang my doorbell. I'm currently wearing my evolution shirt with Darth Vadar atop the food chain. So when I opened the door she asked, "Are you going to be with me in paradise?" I smiled and pointed to my shirt and said, "Do you see this, do you know what this is?"

She and her female partner both said they know what it is but forget the name of it. I said it means evolution, do you believe in it?

They both said no in unison. I said "You have stepped onto the property of an atheist, do you still want to chat because I'd love to."

They said no and took back the invitation pamphlet they had wedged into my doorway. The old lady said, "You gotta believe in something I guess. I just hope you change your mind because it's about your life and afterlife with Jesus." At that point she reached out and offered her hand to shake.

I shook her hand and while holding it said, "I hope you change your mind because this is the only life you get and time is running out for you. Please don't fall down on my property as you leave. Come back to chat any time."

I am always cordial and calm with these people but this was the first time I actually engaged more than just telling them I'm an atheist and have a nice day. I seriously would have had them come in to chat if they wanted to but they weren't Mormons so that just won't happen.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like WillHopp's post
12-03-2016, 09:45 AM
RE: Doorbell rings on a Saturday morning ...
(12-03-2016 09:32 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I seriously would have had them come in to chat if they wanted to but they weren't Mormons so that just won't happen.

Why Mormons and not others?

Me, I won't talk to any of them.Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
12-03-2016, 09:48 AM
You should have chased them around your property with a lightsaber Wink
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
12-03-2016, 09:52 AM
I've never gotten a door-to-door Mormon, sadly. Just boring old JWs Undecided

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
12-03-2016, 09:55 AM
(12-03-2016 09:45 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 09:32 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I seriously would have had them come in to chat if they wanted to but they weren't Mormons so that just won't happen.

Why Mormons and not others?

Me, I won't talk to any of them.Tongue

The Mormons will come in and talk. The others mostly want to invite you to their home field advantage and have more "educated" leaders teach you the way. These door-to-door peddlers aren't equipped to convert, but the Mormons have a script.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
12-03-2016, 10:13 AM
My first husband invited some Jehova's in as we were just moving into a place. They talked quite a bit - while he had them help move furniture and roll out rugs etc.

Turned out to be quite useful.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 10 users Like Dom's post
12-03-2016, 10:19 AM
(12-03-2016 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  My first husband invited some Jehova's in as we were just moving into a place. They talked quite a bit - while he had them help move furniture and roll out rugs etc.

Turned out to be quite useful.

Lol!! I haven't encountered that yet, but next time I'll just invite them in, have them do the dishes THEN tell them I'm an atheist.

----
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
12-03-2016, 10:39 AM
About once a month I get leaflets from the local baptist church on my door. I always feel bad about throwing them out. That poor tree had to die for such a useless use.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
12-03-2016, 11:24 AM
(12-03-2016 09:32 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Who could that be? Yep, a little old lady with a cane, a pamphlet and some bad advice just rang my doorbell. I'm currently wearing my evolution shirt with Darth Vadar atop the food chain. So when I opened the door she asked, "Are you going to be with me in paradise?" I smiled and pointed to my shirt and said, "Do you see this, do you know what this is?"

She and her female partner both said they know what it is but forget the name of it. I said it means evolution, do you believe in it?

They both said no in unison. I said "You have stepped onto the property of an atheist, do you still want to chat because I'd love to."

They said no and took back the invitation pamphlet they had wedged into my doorway. The old lady said, "You gotta believe in something I guess. I just hope you change your mind because it's about your life and afterlife with Jesus." At that point she reached out and offered her hand to shake.

I shook her hand and while holding it said, "I hope you change your mind because this is the only life you get and time is running out for you. Please don't fall down on my property as you leave. Come back to chat any time."

I am always cordial and calm with these people but this was the first time I actually engaged more than just telling them I'm an atheist and have a nice day. I seriously would have had them come in to chat if they wanted to but they weren't Mormons so that just won't happen.

I haven't had any in years. I used to have them stop my in parking lots all the time but not any more. Religion must be dying out where I live and I will put them through their paces. But I'm ready for the next time they come. I used to get them regularly, both Mormons and JW's when I lived in a large town but now I live way, way out in the country.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
12-03-2016, 12:09 PM
I'm not all that subtle.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post