Doorbell rings on a Saturday morning ...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-03-2016, 07:51 AM
RE: Doorbell rings on a Saturday morning ...
(14-03-2016 03:02 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 09:32 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Who could that be? Yep, a little old lady with a cane, a pamphlet and some bad advice just rang my doorbell. I'm currently wearing my evolution shirt with Darth Vadar atop the food chain. So when I opened the door she asked, "Are you going to be with me in paradise?" I smiled and pointed to my shirt and said, "Do you see this, do you know what this is?"

She and her female partner both said they know what it is but forget the name of it. I said it means evolution, do you believe in it?

They both said no in unison. I said "You have stepped onto the property of an atheist, do you still want to chat because I'd love to."

They said no and took back the invitation pamphlet they had wedged into my doorway. The old lady said, "You gotta believe in something I guess. I just hope you change your mind because it's about your life and afterlife with Jesus." At that point she reached out and offered her hand to shake.

I shook her hand and while holding it said, "I hope you change your mind because this is the only life you get and time is running out for you. Please don't fall down on my property as you leave. Come back to chat any time."

I am always cordial and calm with these people but this was the first time I actually engaged more than just telling them I'm an atheist and have a nice day. I seriously would have had them come in to chat if they wanted to but they weren't Mormons so that just won't happen.

The last time some Mormons came to my door they asked "Do you want to now what happens after you die?" and I was like "Sure, I'd love to." and then went on to explain about Heaven and Jesus and whatnot and I said "Wow! Great! So, what is the scientific research that can verify this?" They said it's all about faith, just read the pamphlet, etc. and I was like "Oh, so you really have no idea what happens, you're just guessing based on an old book? Well I think I can guess what happens after we die too but I don't go around people's houses telling them about it." I told them to come back once they have proof, I was nice about it but seriously you think you really know the answers to the big questions yet you have no proof, what's the point?

Faith: pretending to know what you don't know!

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
15-03-2016, 08:45 AM
I had some evangelists at the door a few years back. This was shortly after there had been a number of earthquakes which had sadly caused the deaths of many thousands in various places around the world.

These guys evidently thought they could make capital out of this because their opening gambit was to ask me if I'd noticed the number of earthquakes in the news. I admitted I had.

Well had I noticed that a huge number of people had been killed as a result? Yes........I had noticed.

Did I realise that there had been more earthquakes in the last one hundred years than at any time in history?

Now I'm a trained geologist and seismic events such as earthquakes are rather fundamental to geology, so I invited them in and provided them with a primer on plate tectonics and some statistics on geological events, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis etc. Smartass

I never knew that evangelicals could think up so many excuses as to why they had to be going, and why they didn't want to take up any more of my valuable time! Wink

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 3 users Like Silly Deity's post
15-03-2016, 09:08 AM
(15-03-2016 08:45 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I had some evangelists at the door a few years back. This was shortly after there had been a number of earthquakes which had sadly caused the deaths of many thousands in various places around the world.

These guys evidently thought they could make capital out of this because their opening gambit was to ask me if I'd noticed the number of earthquakes in the news. I admitted I had.

Well had I noticed that a huge number of people had been killed as a result? Yes........I had noticed.

Did I realise that there had been more earthquakes in the last one hundred years than at any time in history?

Now I'm a trained geologist and seismic events such as earthquakes are rather fundamental to geology, so I invited them in and provided them with a primer on plate tectonics and some statistics on geological events, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis etc. Smartass

I never knew that evangelicals could think up so many excuses as to why they had to be going, and why they didn't want to take up any more of my valuable time! Wink

Their program requires ignorance to get a foothold. You are obviously informed and therefor not a proper mark for them. Good going and keep up the good work. They need you to be "as a child" and you are an informed adult. And isn't it disgusting how they see natural disasters as a virtue, a way of playing on fear and worry to get their foot in the door. They have to be hoping that even more horrendous things happen and even greater numbers of people die so they have a way in.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
15-03-2016, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2016 11:15 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
I've had some decent conversations with Mormons.

If you want JWs to leave you alone, all you have to tell them is that you've been disFellowshipped. They will not be back.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-03-2016, 11:15 AM
(12-03-2016 09:55 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 09:45 AM)Dom Wrote:  Why Mormons and not others?

Me, I won't talk to any of them.Tongue

The Mormons will come in and talk. The others mostly want to invite you to their home field advantage and have more "educated" leaders teach you the way. These door-to-door peddlers aren't equipped to convert, but the Mormons have a script.

The mormons are the best. One time a drinking buddy and myself were, well, drinking.. In public. We were well on our way to drunken bliss when 3 mormon bros approached us. My buddy offered them a drink lol (mormons don't drink.) We spoke with them for a good half hour, though, and they even convinced my friend to agree to a meeting at his place the next day.

I still use the book of mormon they gave him as a coaster when I drink at his place. My friend crosses the street when he sees mormons nowadays.