Double standards for teachers caught having sex with students

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Double standards for teachers caught having sex with students
Ran across an article today while scouring the interwebs. Big ole picture of a middle aged woman, very attractive by most standards, accompanied by a basic facts story with very few details. I started looking through some of the comments fully expecting to see quite a few "attaboys" and "where were these teachers when I was in middle/high school" from the men, and indignation/condescension and talk of double standards from most of the women. I was not disappointed.

Got me to wondering...is there really a lack of equal application of the law regardless of offender gender (for the purposes of this discussion, I'd like to keep it to the gender binary system of male/female for simplicity sake)? Or does it boil down to my general observation that most men see a story like that and think, "why not me?" while women think, "criminal should be locked up forever" and "poor kid...I hope he's able to recover from this." By the way, the comments I saw were on a Facebook post of the story, not the linked story above.

If I'm absolutely honest about it, I've wondered why these teachers weren't ever teaching my classes when I was that age. And I know that rape and molestation can happen to both men and women by both men and women, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that these 15-17 year old "boys" will be scarred for life because they had sex with an attractive woman who just happened to be their school teacher. I remember being a 15 year old horn dog and I don't really think I would have been traumatized by a sexual encounter like this. Just my humble opinion.

It also makes me wonder why we're hearing more and more about these particular stories of women teachers with male students lately. Was this always a thing that just went unreported and now because of social media and the boys bragging, the teachers are getting caught?

Just curious for other opinions!

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like reeveseb's post
18-08-2017, 12:02 PM
RE: Double standards for teachers caught having sex with students
Depends what you seem to think trauma is... beyond some interpretation of some grief or angst like trauma, it can have damage to the scope of a person's relationships in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-08-2017, 12:10 PM
To the OP...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...d-Behavior

You may want to read the rules and tread lightly.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
18-08-2017, 12:14 PM
(18-08-2017 12:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  To the OP...

Understood. I didn't think of it in that way. Am I able to remove the thread?

18-08-2017, 12:16 PM
(18-08-2017 12:14 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(18-08-2017 12:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  To the OP...

Understood. I didn't think of it in that way. Am I able to remove the thread?

Maybe just let it die a natural death.

Most people who have been around a while know that this is a nearly taboo subject. I can see this getting out of hand.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

18-08-2017, 12:18 PM
(18-08-2017 12:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Maybe just let it die a natural death.

Most people who have been around a while know that this is a nearly taboo subject. I can see this getting out of hand.

Thank you for the warning.

18-08-2017, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2017 01:59 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
To clarify we are talking about near legal adults, since 16 is the average age of consent for dating in the United States (15-17).

Discussing an adult dating a person that is considered by their state to be at the age of consent isn't going to be considered a problem with the policy on pedophilia.

That said we are talking about older students and teachers, now personally I've known two students who married their teachers.

Both were girls I went to high school with. Both began dating secretly when they were juniors/seniors and both went more or less public after graduation.

One of the teachers moved to a different district, the other continued to teach at the school until he retired.

That said there is a huge double standard that exists today and I think that's worth exploring in the article quoted in the OP, the child was under the age consent, but the comments were very lenient toward the female.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-08-2017, 01:53 PM
I was simply pointing out that this could go poorly if taken in certain directions.

Didn't mean to step on any toes.

18-08-2017, 02:00 PM
(18-08-2017 01:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I was simply pointing out that this could go poorly if taken in certain directions.

Didn't mean to step on any toes.

No worries. I just figured it worth clarifying.

18-08-2017, 02:06 PM
(18-08-2017 11:59 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  It also makes me wonder why we're hearing more and more about these particular stories of women teachers with male students lately. Was this always a thing that just went unreported and now because of social media and the boys bragging, the teachers are getting caught?

Just curious for other opinions!

Honestly I think for years women really got a pass on this. It's not that it didn't happen, but that it just wasn't reported because the "victim" was a boy -- and there is that "atta boy" attitude. That's changed. Our mindset has changed I guess.

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post