Double standards

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Double standards

I'm confident that many of you have heard these double standards coming from theists at least once in their lives. It gets tiresome really fast. No

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Vosur's post
05-01-2013, 03:20 PM
RE: Double standards
I enjoyed how both Cancer patients flipped off the Narrator Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Raskolnikov's post
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Lol at the first one. Do people seriously belive.. wait hold it right there Muffs you are forgetting the first rule of life, "bitches be crazy", very true point Muffs, never underestimate the stupidity of people and especially the stupidity of the religious.

The truth behind this video is outstandingly correct, especially the open atheist v the open christian.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
05-01-2013, 03:49 PM
True, true, true, and true.

But, to be fair, it's not like we don't often have our own double standards:

For example, I see this one a lot: Billy is arguing about Christianity. He has a little information on the subject and is very vocal about his beliefs. He's just an ignorant, indoctrinated Jesus-freak. Johnny is debating about Atheism. He has a little information on the subject and is very vocal about his beliefs. He's on the right track, though maybe he should learn some more to be truly effective.

I think everyone has their own double standards. It's human nature: What I do is right and when other people do similar things they are similarly right, but on the other hand, when other people do different things, especially diametrically opposite things, they are clearly wrong. Not just wrong in the end result, but also wrong in the methodology and maybe even life choices that got them to the end result.

This belief is clearly self-centered egotism, and we all do it. Those of us who are more open-minded are aware of this behavior and try to think outside this egocentric box while those of us who are less open minded either don't know or don't care that we behave this way and so are often constrained by this egotistical behavior.

Now, perhaps the gullible theist zealots tend to be less open-minded and therefore more prone to the egotism while we clever, open-minded, free-thinking atheists are more likely to rise above it.

Or maybe that's just me succumbing to my own double standard.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
05-01-2013, 04:13 PM
(05-01-2013 03:49 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  True, true, true, and true.

But, to be fair, it's not like we don't often have our own double standards:

For example, I see this one a lot: Billy is arguing about Christianity. He has a little information on the subject and is very vocal about his beliefs. He's just an ignorant, indoctrinated Jesus-freak. Johnny is debating about Atheism. He has a little information on the subject and is very vocal about his beliefs. He's on the right track, though maybe he should learn some more to be truly effective.

I think everyone has their own double standards. It's human nature: What I do is right and when other people do similar things they are similarly right, but on the other hand, when other people do different things, especially diametrically opposite things, they are clearly wrong. Not just wrong in the end result, but also wrong in the methodology and maybe even life choices that got them to the end result.

This belief is clearly self-centered egotism, and we all do it. Those of us who are more open-minded are aware of this behavior and try to think outside this egocentric box while those of us who are less open minded either don't know or don't care that we behave this way and so are often constrained by this egotistical behavior.

Now, perhaps the gullible theist zealots tend to be less open-minded and therefore more prone to the egotism while we clever, open-minded, free-thinking atheists are more likely to rise above it.

Or maybe that's just me succumbing to my own double standard.
But of course we think that way.
If we did not believe the way we do things is the right one then we wouldn't do it.
ie: If I believed Christians had it all figured out then I'd be a Christian, not an Atheist.
But I believe atheism is to be the right option and so naturally I'm going to think that Christians have it wrong.

So when I complain that Christians complain about atheists when I as an atheist complain about Christians alllll the time then yes it's double standard. But considering it's the right double standard.. Drinking Beverage

The problem though is the type of double standard. Like example, mentioned in the video about cancer. The atheist made wrong choices, it's god giving up on him etc... while the Christian is just being "tested".
I don't think like that. I like to think my moral standards are higher then that. I believe cancer will slap anyone in face perspective of religion and when it does then it's a tragedy. I don't simply shrug it off as "oh he's an atheist, what did you expect", that IMO is fucking disgusting way of thinking.

06-01-2013, 10:42 AM
(05-01-2013 04:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ie: If I believed Christians had it all figured out then I'd be a Christian, not an Atheist.
But I believe atheism is to be the right option and so naturally I'm going to think that Christians have it wrong.

So when I complain that Christians complain about atheists when I as an atheist complain about Christians alllll the time then yes it's double standard. But considering it's the right double standard.. Drinking Beverage

Your argument boils down to "I'm biased towards this double-standard, so it's right. Their double-standard is wrong."

Double standards (all of them) are logically fallacious. I think Asceptic got it right on the nose when he stated that atheists also hold these double standards. I love the video, but it makes a purely biased argument that ignores the fact that double standards are typical of irrational people, not of theistic people. Rational theists (and atheists) avoid double standards whenever possible because they know that it will invalidate their arguments.

We ought to be careful to be empathetic when considering Christians, and I would guess that at least 30% of my posts here are directed towards atheists who hold double standards. It's such a repeated problem, and yet almost everyone who makes this same fault always rationalizes it. If I haven't made my point yet -- ALL double standards are logically fallacious. I'll bring evidence for this point if I have to, but I'm pretty sure everyone already knows this to some degree but will dismiss it in order to feel better about their own fallacies.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
06-01-2013, 10:48 AM
(05-01-2013 03:49 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I think everyone has their own double standards. It's human nature...

I love your post, but I wouldn't put it as if bias was inescapable. Bias is like breathing: it's automatic but controllable. I make quite an effort to avoid bias (except in favor of logic and rationalism, which I will support like a fundamentalist). I think the easiest way for me personally to avoid bias is simply to value rationalism above atheism, so differences between them are naturally solved in favor of what I value most (rationalism). This is still bias in favor of rationalism, which I can't state enough times is there and will continue to be there, but most people don't recognize it as bias or disagree with such bias, so I think I'm in fairly safe territory.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
06-01-2013, 07:13 PM
It is difficult to avoid double standards, because of how you value different things. People often accept behaviours from themselves or their in-group that they would not accept from others. Imagine a kid playing an instrument very badly. If it is a neighbour you don't like, you want them to stop. It is giving you a headache and has been going on for hours. But if it is your child, you think about how s/he is just learning to play, so you accept it.

It is a natural response based on emotion, and everyone does it sometimes. The key is being able to identify when you are doing it, and when a double standard is highly inappropriate.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
07-01-2013, 03:25 AM
(06-01-2013 10:42 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 04:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ie: If I believed Christians had it all figured out then I'd be a Christian, not an Atheist.

Your argument boils down to "I'm biased towards this double-standard, so it's right. Their double-standard is wrong."

Double standards (all of them) are logically fallacious. I think Asceptic got it right on the nose when he stated that atheists also hold these double standards. I love the video, but it makes a purely biased argument that ignores the fact that double standards are typical of irrational people, not of theistic people. Rational theists (and atheists) avoid double standards whenever possible because they know that it will invalidate their arguments.

We ought to be careful to be empathetic when considering Christians, and I would guess that at least 30% of my posts here are directed towards atheists who hold double standards. It's such a repeated problem, and yet almost everyone who makes this same fault always rationalizes it. If I haven't made my point yet -- ALL double standards are logically fallacious. I'll bring evidence for this point if I have to, but I'm pretty sure everyone already knows this to some degree but will dismiss it in order to feel better about their own fallacies.
I disagree that all double standards are bad.
You said atheists hold these double standards. I disagree. We hold double standards sure, but like I said, I don't judge someone getting cancer based on their religion. I don't think "Oh he's a Christian, he deserved to get cancer".
What I'm saying is that some double standards are worst then others.

08-01-2013, 08:28 PM
(07-01-2013 03:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I disagree that all double standards are bad.
You said atheists hold these double standards. I disagree. We hold double standards sure, but like I said, I don't judge someone getting cancer based on their religion. I don't think "Oh he's a Christian, he deserved to get cancer".
What I'm saying is that some double standards are worst then others.

All double standards are logically fallacious, and they all make those who hold them hypocrites. None of them are "worse than others" in any rational sense because there's no objective standard for measuring the degree to which a double standard is "bad".

If a Christian defended holding a double standard using your argument, would you agree with him or her and say, "that's the point I was making"? If it's not alright for a Christian, then it isn't alright for you, either. To disagree with that is the very definition of bias, and bias is something that rational thinkers try to avoid whenever they notice it. Or maybe you don't care about being rational, in which case this argument won't matter to you. But I think you would prefer to be rational, and this is a step towards that way of thought.