Doubt Everything ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 10:28 PM
RE: Doubt Everything ...
I remember back when I was a theist, the pastor would scoff at atheists because they believed there was no "absolute truth"... but he didn't go on to explain why such a theory was a bad one.

Many theists believe in the absolute truth of the bible, and that doubt comes from the devil. I think doubt is at least one ingredient in being reasonable, because you can't reason with a person who thinks their position can't possibly be wrong. It's because of doubt that we atheists can be swayed with argument... for this reason you'd think that atheists would also preach that doubt is bad... except we're not afraid of the truth, even when it isn't in our favor.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2012, 10:31 PM
(24-02-2012 10:28 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I remember back when I was a theist, the pastor would scoff at atheists because they believed there was no "absolute truth"... but he didn't go on to explain why such a theory was a bad one.

Many theists believe in the absolute truth of the bible, and that doubt comes from the devil. I think doubt is at least one ingredient in being reasonable, because you can't reason with a person who thinks their position can't possibly be wrong. It's because of doubt that we atheists can be swayed with argument... for this reason you'd think that atheists would also preach that doubt is bad... except we're not afraid of the truth, even when it isn't in our favor.

Agreed. It's a pretty tough thing to over come the background whispers in my head when I started to doubt: "But doubt is of the devil. This shows what happens when you quit reading the Bible and praying.":dodgy:

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-02-2012, 10:35 PM
(24-02-2012 10:28 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Many theists believe in the absolute truth of the bible, and that doubt comes from the devil. I think doubt is at least one ingredient in being reasonable, because you can't reason with a person who thinks their position can't possibly be wrong.

Reason is also from the devil. Satan reasoned with Eve in the garden, after all.

Where's my "only half joking" smiley? Undecided
[+] 2 users Like rook2004's post
24-02-2012, 10:38 PM
(24-02-2012 10:35 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 10:28 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Many theists believe in the absolute truth of the bible, and that doubt comes from the devil. I think doubt is at least one ingredient in being reasonable, because you can't reason with a person who thinks their position can't possibly be wrong.

Reason is also from the devil. Satan reasoned with Eve in the garden, after all.

This is fast becoming a PTSD thread. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-02-2012, 10:39 PM
(24-02-2012 10:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

That's kinda why I'm here.

Also, Post Traumatic Spirituality Disorder?
[+] 2 users Like rook2004's post
24-02-2012, 10:41 PM
(24-02-2012 10:39 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 10:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

That's kinda why I'm here.

Also, Post Traumatic Spirituality Disorder?

Oh, yes! Indeed. Big Grin

~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
01-03-2012, 11:56 PM
That's me. A skeptic. In fact, I prefer saying I'm a skeptic than I'm an atheist-- e.g., I say "I doubt the existence of god" rather than "I don't believe in god."
[+] 1 user Likes thelittleprince's post
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
(24-02-2012 05:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ... and don't forget to doubt doubt.

They should of found a really hot girl for this.
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 09:58 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-03-2012 09:27 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  They should of found a really hot girl for this.

She's not hot? I can't tell because no matter how many times I watch it I can't help but fixate on those crazy eyes. James and Marcus had some interesting thoughts, but they don't have crazy fixating eyes. ... So in that sense, she was probably an excellent choice. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-03-2012, 09:54 PM
(05-03-2012 09:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-03-2012 09:27 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  They should of found a really hot girl for this.

She's not hot? I can't tell because no matter how many times I watch it I can't help but fixate on those crazy eyes. ... So in that sense, she was probably an excellent choice. Smile

I do love me some crazy eyes.Shy

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post