Doubt Thread in a Group I'm In

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Doubt Thread in a Group I'm In
In one of the Catholic Facebook groups I'm in, someone has asked about how to deal with struggles with doubt. Now as I've perused certain atheist deconversion stories, they often talk about the stupid responses they get from believers. "Oh it can't be that dumb" I thought, despite once getting the, "You're just in a dry spot" talk myself at one point.

However this, this just makes me facepalm. Facepalm

[Image: hHV49By.png?1]

[Image: vJeWjsf.png]

[Image: XnPdcq3.png]

So the advice from Purple Guy especially, is basically the Book of Mormon musical song "Turn it off" and and go believe in the freaking most discredited of Young Earth Creationists?

Edit: Orange guy's Jericho thing, I realized I didn't put the comment, so here it is:

[Image: pPkmt93.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
11-11-2016, 04:11 PM
RE: Doubt Thread in a Group I'm In
I love you. Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Thanks Moms! The stupid just burns, no attempts at understanding or solid advice, just, "Turn it off". "Look at the pretty Bible verse." "Don't be named Teresa, because Teresa of Avila and Mother Teresa sure didn't have good luck with that".

Edit:

[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
11-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Facepalm

And yet you still identify as RC - a theology and religion that promotes that very crap. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-11-2016, 05:52 PM
(11-11-2016 05:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Facepalm

And yet you still identify as RC - a theology and religion that promotes that very crap. Consider

I feel his anger, he's turning to the dark side.
Embrace it Son. Wink
[+] 10 users Like pablo's post
11-11-2016, 05:55 PM
(11-11-2016 05:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Facepalm

I did for many years Chas.

I took what I needed and left the rest. Was I good RC? Probably not, but even at my worst I was probably still better than most.

Translation: Change takes time and it's rarely from the top down, but really from the bottom up.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-11-2016, 08:11 PM
I certainly wouldn't doubt you were Moms, seem to be as an atheist, than a number I know. Though not intending to embrace the Dark Side as Pablo suggests. Tongue

Chas is right, I am Roman Catholic still. Dealing with idiots can be part of it. Right now I think my buttons are being pushed more easily post-election. (Though hilariously, thread wise, I just finished a Warhammer 40k novel and moved on to my next "To Read" book, Catherine Dunphy's "From Apostle to Apostate" about the founding of the Clergy Project and her own leaving behind of Catholicism.)

11-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Wow well first of all at least they are admitting they have doubts, many Christains I know won't ever do that, they believe so much it's crazy...I mean certifiably crazy but damn that Jericho thing is hilarious. Well yeah it couldn't be an Earthquake, it must be God and this one particular God too, it couldn't be any others, that's all you need to believe...fucking walls man, they fell outward! Outward!! It was God, I tell you!! Facepalm

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
11-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Shai-

I actually think that was a pretty fair exchange, except for Purple Guy and the idiot who believes the charlatan "archaeologist" Bryant Wood (director of the "Associates for Biblical Research" ministry, a subset of the Institute for Creation Research group, which claims to have, quote, "reexamined and reevaluated the excavated evidence from Jericho to better correlate that data with the Biblical story" ... no joke) stuff about Jericho. Quite literally, Dr. Wood is the archaeological equivalent of a Creationist.

Worst of all, with those who cite to Woods, is that Woods' analysis has been debunked: his work is primarily a critique of a real archaeologist, Cathleen Kenyon, who did the work that showed Jericho could not have been attacked in the way described in the Old Testament. There was a calibration error in the carbon dating that he relied upon, that totally trashes his argument once the error was corrected. Mainstream (scholarly) archaeology has considered his ideas and flatly rejected them for a number of valid reasons too long to get into, here. The ICR, of course, claims this is a conspiracy.

This is a long but excellent series on the subject. The first video deals with Dr. Wood and his critique of Dr. Kenyon, around 17:14

TL ; dr version - Anyone who cites to archaeological studies of Jericho as evidence for the Bible is either totally ignorant or willfully dishonest.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
12-11-2016, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2016 07:12 PM by Shai Hulud.)
SitaSky, oh come on, an earthquake in an area prone to them? What are the odds of that? Tongue

RS, well put as always good sir. Sorry to be so cranky about it, the Father Pavone desecration has me hopping mad and short tempered, as do Traditionalist Catholics who are now whining at me about how persecuted they are, because Pope Francis called them "rigid". Just, not much of it seems very helpful to me, though better with you pointing out the silver linings as it were. Also feeling a bit under the weather the past few days (not just election fatigue either), and a former classmate from high school overdosed the other day. Edit: And then I don't have any room to talk obviously, because I didn't offer them any advice.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post