"Doubters are small-minded..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 09:27 PM
RE: "Doubters are small-minded..."
You have to think up something clever in response.. hmm.. maybe this?

Can you hear stupidity? No

Can you touch stupidity? No

Then is there stupidity?

If they answer that question without realizing what is implied, just write Lol and leave them alone to their delusions.

Under Repair.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like itsacow's post
22-08-2012, 10:49 PM
My reply was....

Yes - Though the molecules that make up air don't absorb light in the electromagnetic spectrum our eyes are able to see...we can technically see air by means of scattered light. On a clear, cloudless day...as sunlight shines through the atmosphere, blue light (which has the same wavelength as particles in the air) is scattered, bouncing from particle to particle, which makes the sky look blue.

Yes - Using ultrasound.

Yes - Thunder is the sound that lightning makes as air heats up and expands...and you can see Lightning. You don't see sounds, you hear them.

Yes - Though love is an emotion...and emotions come from your brain, not your heart. But emotions can be expressed, which can be seen.
[+] 1 user Likes jinun's post
22-08-2012, 11:19 PM
(22-08-2012 10:49 PM)jinun Wrote:  My reply was....

Yes - Though the molecules that make up air don't absorb light in the electromagnetic spectrum our eyes are able to see...we can technically see air by means of scattered light. On a clear, cloudless day...as sunlight shines through the atmosphere, blue light (which has the same wavelength as particles in the air) is scattered, bouncing from particle to particle, which makes the sky look blue.

Yes - Using ultrasound.

Yes - Thunder is the sound that lightning makes as air heats up and expands...and you can see Lightning. You don't see sounds, you hear them.

Yes - Though love is an emotion...and emotions come from your brain, not your heart. But emotions can be expressed, which can be seen.

Awesome man, although (wow, using that word allot recently.) I thing given the circumstances you could have been at least somewhat less... tempered in your response?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-08-2012, 10:55 AM
I waited nearly two hours before I responded. Struggling with whether or not I should even respond....do I just roll my eyes and let it go or does something need to be said? But also...how to respond. Do I got in full attack mode or civilized? Figuring that had I reamed the person, the message would have been lost and they would have just labeled me "an angry atheist". Not that I expected to change anyone's mind. I just wanted to point out her arguments are invalid.

‹« In Science I Trust »›
23-08-2012, 12:16 PM
(22-08-2012 04:05 PM)jinun Wrote:  As a general rule...I keep my opinions about religion soley on my own Facebook page. I will "Share" an image, article or status. I will "Like" an atheistic image, article, or status.

Friends can post whatever they want praising God or Jesus and I'll roll my eyes and leave it be. Unless they post it on MY page, then it's fair game.

However, a friend of a friend (who I don't particularly like to begin with) posted something today that irked me and I broke my general rule not to respond. But it's not the first time this person has referred to doubters and non-believers as "small-minded."

In my opinion, the initial post (an image posted by my friend) is like comparing apples and oranges. Comparing something that can be seen, touched and measured (a brain) in some capacity to something that can not (God). Which was eye-roll worthy. The responses by her friend had me gritting my teeth. (See below.)

For me, the most disturbing thing about these posts is not the series of false, puerile analogies, since they're so easily answered. ("Can't see air but it exists; can't see God but he exists." Thing is, we can MEASURE air--its density, its moisture content, its speed. Unlike God, it's objectively detectable. Oh, and when it moves, we can feel it. It's called wind.)

I find the really disturbing thing to be the little teacher-student dialog, where the Secular Humanist, God-denying, scumbag teacher is owned by the brave Christian student. This scenario seems to be a common meme among the Religious Right in the U.S. A more elaborate example is here. The theme is: They've taken God and the Bible out of schools and substituted faith in science and godless Evolution! Our kids are being indoctrinated by atheistic teachers! But a few smart, fearless Christian students are taking them on and winning the day. Praise Jesus!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post