Doubting Dragon greetings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Doubting Dragon greetings
Hello all,
Wow, where to start?
Well, I am a husband now at 11 years. Father of a 7 yo boy and 4 yo girl, with one one the way. Due, xmas day!

I was a christian most of my life. Played in a christian heavy metal band for about 10 years. Met my wife at church. It was a small church then, but has since turned into a mega-church. I played in worship bands at several churches through the years.

In the first year of my marriage, I began to have doubts about god, and wanted to tell my wife, but was to scared. So I just stuffed the doubts down and rolled with the x'stian family thing. But once we started to have kids, my wife began to have doubts. Mainly because she really wanted to be able to tell our kids the truth, how she saw and understood the truth. She didn't know if she really believed the bible, so had a hard time telling our son that it was true. It began a several year search for her. I stood in the side lines, still wanting to be a christian and just "believed" god would show her his truth. Well, of course he's not there, so he didn't.

Eventually, she became an unbeliever in the bible. Sooo, then it reminded me of my doubts in the first year of our marriage and I too began to open my mind up to what was real and true. I began to read books that christians would see as blasphemous. The first being Dan Barkers: Godless. I began to ask myself some serious questions about my own faith. Trying to make sense of the bible. Eventually, the godless, honest truth came to bear. He's not there.

Then I began to read all the skeptic and atheist books I could get my hands on. I began to listen to atheist podcasts. Eventually, the evolution, science and atheist views began to make much more sense. I didn't believe in the god of the bible anymore.

I have to admit, when my wife went through this stuff first and I was trying to hang on to faith, it was very difficult to fathom a life without god or an afterlife. But as I began reading, listening and seeing things as they really are. All that stuff didn't matter anymore. I am here at this moment. And I will make the most of my time here. I don't need to worry about any kind of after life, because its not there.

All of this happened about a year ago. So I am VERY new to the skeptic and unbelieving life. I am learning something new every day about the bible and seeing how being critical is quite fascinating.

I began a blog at http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com to basically write down things that I am learning about. It helps me to really dig in and study the things that I've never really learned about the bible. I'm not that great of a writer, but I do my best and it's been quite fun.

I feel like such a newb at this whole skeptical movement, but am determined to learn all I can.

My wife and I are still in the process of coming out as unbelievers. And as you can imagine its not been easy coming from christian families. Websites like this, podcasts and twitter have been a tremendous help in our growth.

Looking forward to getting to know more folks here. Thx.

Twitter: @doubtingdragon
http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DoubtingDragon's post
02-10-2013, 10:45 AM
RE: Doubting Dragon greetings
Hi there, and welcome. Big Grin

02-10-2013, 10:49 AM
You shouldn't doubt dragons. I know they're real because The Elder Scrolls tell me so.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like BiffWellington's post
02-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I think he is a dragon that doubts, not a dragon doubter.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
02-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Welcome aboard.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
02-10-2013, 11:01 AM
(01-10-2013 10:34 PM)DoubtingDragon Wrote:  Hello all,
Wow, where to start?

Didn't you read Alice in Wonderland?
Lewis Carrol Wrote:Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

(01-10-2013 10:34 PM)DoubtingDragon Wrote:  Well, I am a husband now at 11 years...

That seems rather young. Tongue

(01-10-2013 10:34 PM)DoubtingDragon Wrote:  I was a christian most of my life. Played in a christian heavy metal band for about 10 years. Met my wife at church. It was a small church then, but has since turned into a mega-church. I played in worship bands at several churches through the years.

In the first year of my marriage, I began to have doubts about god, and wanted to tell my wife, but was to scared. So I just stuffed the doubts down and rolled with the x'stian family thing. But once we started to have kids, my wife began to have doubts. Mainly because she really wanted to be able to tell our kids the truth, how she saw and understood the truth. She didn't know if she really believed the bible, so had a hard time telling our son that it was true. It began a several year search for her. I stood in the side lines, still wanting to be a christian and just "believed" god would show her his truth. Well, of course he's not there, so he didn't.

Eventually, she became an unbeliever in the bible. Sooo, then it reminded me of my doubts in the first year of our marriage and I too began to open my mind up to what was real and true. I began to read books that christians would see as blasphemous. The first being Dan Barkers: Godless. I began to ask myself some serious questions about my own faith. Trying to make sense of the bible. Eventually, the godless, honest truth came to bear. He's not there.

Then I began to read all the skeptic and atheist books I could get my hands on. I began to listen to atheist podcasts. Eventually, the evolution, science and atheist views began to make much more sense. I didn't believe in the god of the bible anymore.

I have to admit, when my wife went through this stuff first and I was trying to hang on to faith, it was very difficult to fathom a life without god or an afterlife. But as I began reading, listening and seeing things as they really are. All that stuff didn't matter anymore. I am here at this moment. And I will make the most of my time here. I don't need to worry about any kind of after life, because its not there.

All of this happened about a year ago. So I am VERY new to the skeptic and unbelieving life. I am learning something new every day about the bible and seeing how being critical is quite fascinating.

I began a blog at http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com to basically write down things that I am learning about. It helps me to really dig in and study the things that I've never really learned about the bible. I'm not that great of a writer, but I do my best and it's been quite fun.

I feel like such a newb at this whole skeptical movement, but am determined to learn all I can.

My wife and I are still in the process of coming out as unbelievers. And as you can imagine its not been easy coming from christian families. Websites like this, podcasts and twitter have been a tremendous help in our growth.

Looking forward to getting to know more folks here. Thx.

Welcome aboard!

... this is my signature!
02-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Welcome! Great story, sounds like your wife and yourself have been able to process things together and be there for each other which is nice!
02-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Welcome, I can tell you're going to have good time here. I'm relatively new to the forum and people here are nice and a bit insane at times and we love them for itTongue
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
02-10-2013, 11:09 AM
(02-10-2013 10:56 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I think he is a dragon that doubts, not a dragon doubter.

Consider Touche.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2013, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 11:36 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Hey d-d. Glad you applied for the forum dragon position.
We get lots of loonies who preach, and one of of members coined one of the famous TTA phrases.."good story bro, needs more dragon".
The position has been open for a long time.
Hope you will a regular dragon, not just an on-call/casual dragon.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post