Dr. Dino
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2010, 03:52 AM
RE: Dr. Dino
First, I accept freedom expression to an extent. When it comes to school curriculum, I expect that learning is the objective and facts and evidence take precidence over untestable beliefs. I expect those in the school system and politicians to do their jobs and make sure that the standard of education in the schools is raised to a high standard, and kept there. I expect that people whose ideas go contrary to this should be ignored by everyone so as to make there rantings worthless.

I obviously expect more than the human race at large is capable of delivering and I haven't answered your question. I just ranted.

Yes, you are doing your part and I am happy for that. I hope enough people are doing their parts to have the effect of keeping the church out of state and out of schools.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 07:37 AM
RE: Dr. Dino
(11-09-2010 03:23 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  
(11-09-2010 01:35 AM)No J. Wrote:  I have seen many programs on the rise of Adoph Hitler to power. One line from one of those programs is a profound warning.

"All it takes for evil to take control is for good people to do nothing."
All well and good, but if you accept freedom of expression, just what is you think we should be doing? I think we are doing something by offering alternative perspectives to the theist sites - weren't not sitting 'idly by' - we're advocating our point of view.

I suppose we could try to post something on their sites, but I suspect they don't want contrary opinions heard on their sites, because such would be blasphemy to them. That's an important difference between them and us. We propose a rational debate with all sides free to express themselves - they prefer scriptural quotations and irrational nonsense and want to consign us to eternal torment!

So, here is the conundrum I see: you chastise moderate Muslims for not protesting radicals, but when it comes to Christian radicals (who are, to this point, not really violent) you offer the defense of "what are we supposed to do?".

I think perhaps many Muslims see this from that perspective to: what are they supposed to do? I agree with you that all their outrage and protesting can be directed against the extremists in their own religions instead of just the extremists of others. Where I disagree with you is that we have no real options against Christian extremists. True, they are not as physically dangerous, right now, but I think their goals of pushing their point of view into schools and government are no different than the goal of Al Queda.

Btw, on the Hitler rise to power, that is a paraphrase of an Edmond Burke quote and the point is spot on, irrespective of whether we are talking about Muslim attacks on civilians or Christian attacks on science and education. Their goals are the same.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply