Drafting and War

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Drafting and War
My step dad was going on about Trump possible starting a war and some of us getting drafted. Like that was the best thing that could happen. He's a military guy, while I am happy that his military service, which he wanted to do, got me into college. I have put my foot down over and over and said. "I don't want to be in the military. I refuse to fight in a war."

I like the freedoms with... somewhat have. But Drafting is one thing I'm like, "Doesn't that violate freedom of any kind? We call ourselves a free country, but we are nothing but cattle to the slaughter for an over the top military.

I don't want any blatant lie 'Hero's Death' for being in the military. Especially if I didn't want to be there in the first damn place. Like I said, we should have a choice, and when I read about drafting in the Vietnam War, I thought that it was against the supposed freedoms we have/had.

People shouldn't be forced to fight. And I swear Trump is going to start a meaningless war and the poor/middle class pay for it with their lives. I get some wars are a need, WW1 and WW2 are one of those, but a war just because of oil reserves that the US wants? Or just because Russia refuses to bend to the US's will? And we decide to poke North Korea a bit more just to start a fucking war.

It makes me scared to know that I will have no say if that does happen and will be fore to die for a man who's ego is bigger than mount Everest. But at least On my grave I can have the last say of 'Died because country is stupid.' or something like that.

What's worse about this, my damn Republican family is all fucking for drafting. Like being in the military is the best god given thing you can do. I just want to yell at them at times and say, "I am not fighting for a country that doesn't give two shits, or even a shit, about me!"

They'll take away our freedoms as soon as their is a bit of evidence against you. You have no right, you have no freedoms.
"You have owners, they own you." - George Carlin.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
03-08-2017, 01:40 PM
RE: Drafting and War
Pretty sad your step-father wants young men and women to die.
03-08-2017, 01:44 PM
If you don't like drafts, then close some windows. Drinking Beverage

Nah, but really. I see conscription as a necessary part of a society in emergencies. When the homeland is in imminent danger of destruction and there are simply not enough volunteers in the military, forced enlistment is a military and societal necessity. I'd say that it was a necessary evil for events like WWII. It's just like taxes. No one likes taxes, but they are necessary for a free state to function.

Having said that, in cases where the wars are unnecessary or for chauvinist expansion, then conscription is not only ill-advised, but actively harmful to the nation, since it makes people far more opposed to the draft when it's actually necessary. Conscription should never be used to get extra soldiers for unnecessary and costly wars like Vietnam, where the country isn't even sure that the conflict is worth the time, effort and lives lost.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
03-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Do you like your freedoms?

If you think that freedom is free, you're sadly mistaken.

They come with a price tag.

Somebody has to pay.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-08-2017, 02:05 PM
In my opinion, military draft should only be legal when there is an imminent and credible military threat to the survival of the nation (and be authorised via a referendum if possible). In almost any armed conflict, the draft would be useless. there would be enough volunteers to conduct the war. Conscripts are notoriously considered as poor soldiers when they are used to figh far away from their nation. Thus, even the military shouldn't consider conscription as a good and useful tool. Fortunately, modern warfare rely less on fighting men and women numbers than it used to in the recent past.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
03-08-2017, 02:17 PM
WW I wasn't "needed" - WW II had clear evil to fight (even if devil at side of Allies wasn't much better than one opposing them), while Great War was just a mess. See "Guns of August" I believe by Barbara Tuchman.

Aside from that I would oppose draft in whatever way I could - fighting for authoritarian shithole called Poland isn't how I want to die. I prefer being deserter than entering combat with nationalist idiots masturbating to darkly hilarious idea of Great Poland.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
03-08-2017, 03:14 PM
There are so many people wanting to deploy right now I can't imagine a draft happening anyway.

'Murican Canadian
03-08-2017, 03:19 PM
(03-08-2017 02:05 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Conscripts are notoriously considered as poor soldiers when they are used to fight far away from their nation...

I'd have to disagree with this. The Australian conscripts were regarded very highly during the Vietnam conflict, and in fact much more highly than their US regular army peers. Australian army command was constantly complaining to the US command regarding how slack the Americans were, particularly outside the wire. A lot of the US grunts were listening to transistor radios, and wearing aftershave or smoking on patrol for example. They reckoned the nogs could smell 'em out 100 metres away LOL.

I'd be interested if you could cite a reference to your claim about conscripts—or should I assume you were talking only about the Americans?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-08-2017, 04:33 PM
(03-08-2017 01:49 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you like your freedoms?

Somebody has to pay.

What freedoms? They say we have freedoms, but I don't hardly see it, the list just keeps getting shorter and shorter.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
03-08-2017, 04:35 PM
(03-08-2017 04:33 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 01:49 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you like your freedoms?

Somebody has to pay.

What freedoms? They say we have freedoms, but I don't hardly see it, the list just keeps getting shorter and shorter.

Consider Does this help?

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like TSG's post