Drain's Westboro Baptist Church Memoir

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
21-04-2013, 04:09 PM

Drain's Westboro Baptist Church Memoir
[Image: 51ZyqTNyHIL.jpg]

Just finished reading Banished: Surviving my years in the Westboro Baptist Church, by Lauren Drain. I find her memoir interesting only in that it provides some insight into how the WBC formed, and how it operated—and perhaps still operates. I don’t find her, Lauren Drain, to be a particularly sympathetic character in that much of the abuse she suffered at the hands of her parents and the members of the WBC, may have actually been at least half her fault. I mean now she supports abortion rights, homosexuality, and other religious views, and got a sweet publishing deal for a book bashing the very Church whose name is selling her book.

The church is as whacked out as any cult that exists for the purposes of hate and control, but they aren’t physically abusive, they aren’t leading their members to early deaths, and they are definitely not in the business of recruiting new members. So, you can only fault them so much.

I’m not defending the Westboro Baptist Church. I’m a Veridican, and I couldn’t care less what other religious sects do, so long as they don’t detonate around me. Anyone who isn’t a Veridican—or something like a Veridican—isn’t part of the elect, anyway.

Of course, the WBC would say the same thing about themselves. I suppose God will sort that one out.
Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 04:21 PM
RE: Drain's Westboro Baptist Church Memoir
Being abused is partly her fault? You really are out of touch.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
21-04-2013, 05:16 PM
(21-04-2013 04:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Being abused is partly her fault? You really are out of touch.

Yeah, that's like saying, "Hey, it's your fault your husband wants to beat you every night."

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
21-04-2013, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2013 06:39 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-04-2013 04:09 PM)Egor Wrote:  Anyone who isn’t a Veridican—or something like a Veridican—isn’t part of the elect, anyway.

"Elected" by whom ?

I guess that makes a whole 1 or 2 of you "elected" then.
Like a creator of the univese would make it for 2 of you.
You weren't kidding when you made your title say "the" Viridican. You're the only one.
You're also more mentally ill than I had thought.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
21-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Many who are both physically and mentally abused say the mental abuse is actually worse and more painful. Who are you to judge the severity of her personal anguish?
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
21-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Speaking as someone who WAS physically abused as a child, I can say reliably that Mental abuse is just as powerful, if not more powerful, than physical. After the first time I was beat, I was more mentally afraid of being beat, then the act itself. Physical pain lasts only for so long, but mental and emotional can last forever if you let it.

Sure, they may not have physically beat her, but this is her family and friends we are talking about....people who are supposed to unconditionally love you no matter what. I can't imagine what it would be like if I was basically exile from my family (my mothers side is very close to me), and if I didn't have some of my best friends helping me in tough situations. I honestly don't know how I would survive.

She doesn't want your sympathy, and she doesn't want to capitalize on her misfortune, she simply wants you to empathize with the situation she was put in.....to KNOW what these people do to their children, friends, and "loved" ones.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
21-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Also, "Sympathetic character"? This isn't some fictional being in a Sci-Fi novel....this is a real person, writing about her REAL life...she's not a "character"...try being a little more humane.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 1 user Likes Likos02's post
21-04-2013, 10:48 PM
(21-04-2013 04:09 PM)Egor Wrote:  I don’t find her, Lauren Drain, to be a particularly sympathetic character in that much of the abuse she suffered at the hands of her parents and the members of the WBC, may have actually been at least half her fault. I mean now she supports abortion rights, homosexuality, and other religious views, and got a sweet publishing deal for a book bashing the very Church whose name is selling her book.

No child is ever at fault for being abused, just as no rape victim is ever at fault for being raped.

Personally, I hope she makes a trillion dollars exposing this sadistic cult and all others as the hypocritical, bigoted, malevolent cancers they are.

Religion is child abuse, regardless the degree to which it is inflicted upon children and regardless of whether or not it is accompanied by physical violence.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like bbeljefe's post
21-04-2013, 10:52 PM
(21-04-2013 09:43 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  Speaking as someone who WAS physically abused as a child, I can say reliably that Mental abuse is just as powerful, if not more powerful, than physical. After the first time I was beat, I was more mentally afraid of being beat, then the act itself. Physical pain lasts only for so long, but mental and emotional can last forever if you let it.

You can't stop the mental affects of child abuse. You can dissociate from it and you can work through it in therapy but once a child has been abused, that fact never changes and it is never forgotten.

And you're correct, bruises heal and even severe physical injury can be overcome. However, the physical changes to a child's brain as a result of abuse forever stunt the development of the brain and that doesn't heal.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
22-04-2013, 02:11 AM

(21-04-2013 05:52 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Many who are both physically and mentally abused say the mental abuse is actually worse and more painful. Who are you to judge the severity of her personal anguish?

Instead of flying off the handle, why don't you try reading the book. She loved being part of the church. She wanted their acceptance. She loved picketting. Then they kick her out for her own admitted disobedience that she promised them she wouldn't do, and suddenly she's pro-gay, pro-choice, and against all the church did.
Quote this message in a reply